Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering upgrade...

Well, since my stock box is leaking I figured it's time to upgrade. I figure if I'm gonna buy new steering I might as well do it right, and once.

I've decided on the PSC ram assist system(with a "p" type pump)...

http://www.offroadsteering.com/steeringkits.html

I'll let you guys know how it all turns out. :yay:
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Since I also drive a '97 TJ, now you have me sweating about my own steering box with all the abuse its been through. Please keep us posted on your steering upgrade Brian, I will probably be looking at doing the same upgrade in the future.
    The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

anyone have experience with that redneck ram steering? just throwingt that one out, seems more wallet friendly if i remember correctly
      Carlos

92 YJ
      GO VEGAN!
      volunteer at your local food shelter!

Comment

I have read that some have not been happy with the qualilty of that product.
        myJeeprocks.com

Comment

well the steering box is in. it's ported for ram assist if I ever decide I need it, I don't need it now. Next was installing the p pump conversion. Turns out there was a bit more to this than I expected. The pump is much bigger and it's location makes it necessary to relocate the radiator overflow can and windshield washer fluid resevoir pumps. (i elected to relocate the entire resevoir, info to come) you must also fabricate a mount for the external power steering fluid resevoir. This is a dry fit we(Rick and I) did this weekend...

turns out I needed a differant high pressure line, I'll order that Monday and get all this running next weekend. :yay:
          myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
            well the steering box is in. it's ported for ram assist if I ever decide I need it, I don't need it now. Next was installing the p pump conversion. Turns out there was a bit more to this than I expected. The pump is much bigger and it's location makes it necessary to relocate the radiator overflow can and windshield washer fluid resevoir pumps. (i elected to relocate the entire resevoir, info to come) you must also fabricate a mount for the external power steering fluid resevoir. This is a dry fit we(Rick and I) did this weekend...

turns out I needed a differant high pressure line, I'll order that Monday and get all this running next weekend. :yay:
            Why would you order a HP line when all the parts to make one are available locally, reside in several garages, and you need to know how to do the repair if one should ever fail?
            I am Savvy.

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine
              Why would you order a HP line when all the parts to make one are available locally, reside in several garages, and you need to know how to do the repair if one should ever fail?
              I figured it was the easiest way to make sure I got the correct parts the first time.

I suppose I could find some hose or pneumatic shops here in the valley. hmmm....
              myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Well, I can't say I did much. Brian did most of the work while I did battle with my POS... Brian did try to contact a local (to me) place on Monday, but alas they were on holiday as well. I think that's going to make a nice setup once he figures out where to store the windex squirt bottle.
                1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Originally posted by rick
                  I think that's going to make a nice setup once he figures out where to store the windex squirt bottle.
                  funny Rick. but I think your right... on it being a nice setup, not the squirt bottle thing.

BTW, I now love junkyards... so much stuff you could use for something else. :yay:
                  myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Ok, who's the dastardly wag creating all the masterful avatars using pics of situations some of us would rather not be reminded of?

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
                      Ok, who's the dastardly wag creating all the masterful avatars using pics of situations some of us would rather not be reminded of?
                      As I recall Jerry, you simultaneously pissed in the cheerios of the Rock Gods, Karma, and the payback monkey shortly into the trail. It started with Sergey getting hung up and you taking pictures of him being strapped forward while berating him on his choice of transmission. I knew no good would come of that.
                      I am Savvy.

Comment

in your case... it wasn't me.
                        myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Wow you have a good memory. So was Sergey running a 5-speed or an automatic that day? I thought he had an auto which since I am a huge promoter of same, I can't imagine saying anything against it except in a kidding sort of way.

Now if he had a 5-speed that day, then can't I berate it all I want because my TJ also has a 5-speed? But no doubt I pissed in someone's Cheerios that day after slowing the whole bunch down from my busted axle.

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
                            in your case... it wasn't me.
                            And in whose case was it you?

Comment

Wow you have a good memory. So was Sergey running a 5-speed or an automatic that day? I thought he had an auto which since I am a huge promoter of same, I can't imagine saying anything against it except in a kidding sort of way.

Now if he had a 5-speed that day, then can't I berate it all I want because my TJ also has a 5-speed? But no doubt I pissed in someone's Cheerios that day after slowing the whole bunch down from my busted axle.
                              I sincerely hope you are referring to a mythical someone. None of us felt like our cheerios assumed a new flavor suddenly. That stuff is just part of being out there.

Sergey has always had an auto.
                              I am Savvy.

Comment

Working...
                              X