Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's finally done...

Well with some help from Erik today to fab a bracket for a washer resevoir, my steering upgrade is finally complete. Thank you's also go out to Blaine for the help with the steering box swap and Rick for moral support and the high heat of his ox/ac torch.

here is a before picture...

Just to recap... I installed a PSC 621mr assist ported box and their "P" pump conversion for the 4.0L Jeep engine.

This is by no means a "bolt-in" application. The pump is much larger so it must be moved out away from the tc pumps original location. In TJs three problems arise. One, the pumps on the windshield washer resevoir reside in some of the space the p pump needs. Two, the radiator overflow bottle is slightly to deep for clearance of the p pumps pulley. Three, you must find a mounting location for an external power steering fluid resevoir.

Some have mounted the ps fluid res to the driver side of the master cylinder. This is a great spot, unless your TJ is equipped with ABS. I elected to use some of the space previously occupied by the washer bottle. Rick's torch was helpful in bending a bracket.

For the radiator over flow, Jaz products makes a recirculating catch can that fits in the stock location with the addition of one mounting hole. It's slim enough to provide the extra clearance needed for the new pulley location. This product is available at Jegs.com.

Since I'd used some of the space occupied by the oem washer bottle for the PSC ps fluid resevoir, I needed to find something smaller that would fit the remaing space. After a trip or two to the junkyard I found a small bottle out of a Mitsubishi (sp?) pick-up with a pump attached. A mounting bracket needed to be fabbed (thanks Erik), but it fit where I needed it to.

Last but not least, the steering box itself is bigger than stock. The skid needed to be spaced with afew washers to fit properly. Thanks Blaine for the use of your pitman arm puller, sorry we broke it (finally).

That covers the space problems,

Now for the part problems.

you need a new longer serpintine belt. Good year part# 4061000(for 4.0 w/factory air). Buy a spare, no one but me has one.

you need a new high pressure line with 18mm adapter for the box and -6 female flare for the pump. order it with your other parts to make life easier.

you need a new fitting at the low pressure outlet of the box. the fancy new high pressure fitting won't work well with the hard line on the low pressure side. anyway... 16mm adapter with 90deg push fitting.

I also used a few more 90 deg fittings to get things just the way I liked them.

I guess that's about it. here's the after pic...

I again would like to thank Blaine, Rick and Erik. Without their help this would still be sitting on my apartment floor. Thanks guys. :thumbs_up :yay:
    Last edited by blkTJ; 03-13-05, 09:05 PM.
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

that is sexy
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Yes, very nice. I'm still drooling over those fittings...
        1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
        My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

thanks guys. :smile:
          myJeeprocks.com

Comment

it looks so cleeeeeean! nice job guys
            :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
              it looks so cleeeeeean! nice job guys
              Crown goes back to Brian. Nice work and write up. (how about a photo of the box)

Cheers, B&T TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Black & Tan TJ
                (how about a photo of the box)
                ???

hehe, J/K, I'll try and get one one of these days...
                myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
                  ???

Well that wasn't what I had in mind, the steering box but I should've been prepared for this, too funny.

B&T TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Black & Tan TJ
                    Well that wasn't what I had in mind, the steering box but I should've been prepared for this, too funny.

B&T TJ
                    stand by... I'll get one.
                    myJeeprocks.com

Comment

It might be time for me too.

Brian,
                      I'm noticing my steering box spline shaft has some wiggle in it and I'm preparing for it to come apart. I was thinking about getting a junkyard replacement but they run around $150. New ones from quadratec around 375. Upgraded versions a little more. Then i saw your upgrade on this post.

Now that its been a while, how do you like your steering box. Still working? Anything you don't like about it?

Steve
                      2000 TJ Sport, 3 spd auto
                      4.5" RE LA, 35" MTR

Comment

Originally posted by STORMTROOPER
                        Brian,
                        I'm noticing my steering box spline shaft has some wiggle in it and I'm preparing for it to come apart. I was thinking about getting a junkyard replacement but they run around $150. New ones from quadratec around 375. Upgraded versions a little more. Then i saw your upgrade on this post.

Now that its been a while, how do you like your steering box. Still working? Anything you don't like about it?

Steve
                        http://www.leepowersteering.com/
                        call these guys. lee make top notch stuff.
                        ERIK

Comment

unfortunately I've had some issues with the PSC boxes. The first one just didn't work right, sent it back. The second one has been fine until recently. It has been brought to my attention that there's a little play in the sector shaft. It's not enough to cause a leak, but it makes steering a bit sloppy on the hiway.

When I need a new steering box I'll get a Lee and have the PSC rebuilt as a spare.

the pump and resevoir have been fine. A hotrodded TC pump is much easier to fit into the Jeep than the P pump though. Howe makes one that a bunch of folks use.

:2:
                          myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Thanks eric/brian,
                            I called the guy and he offered a custom box for 325 (if i send the core). He wasn't able to convince me that his stuff is any stronger than stock, so I'm wondering if a junkyard replacement wouldn't be better? Eric, did you get a lee? and what do you like about it? any problems?
                            S
                            2000 TJ Sport, 3 spd auto
                            4.5" RE LA, 35" MTR

Comment

i do have the lee.
                              i have had no problems with mine at all. he changes the bearings at the sector shaft, and does a few other things that make it stronger than stock.
                              have him machine the snout for a brace
                              it is also a good idea to have it prepped for a ram if you have any plans in that direction.
                              they also have steering rams available in any incrimental length you desire.
                              his main niche is nascar/sprint car boxes, so i dont think he'd be in business long if he was selling garbage
                              ERIK

Comment

I'll second the Lee box. I have no idea what he does to them, but my steering has much more power with his box then my stock box.

I also ordered the box with the machined snout and ram assist ports.

Comment

Working...
                                X