Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
    ??The Warn 8274 is now China??
    I do know when my 8274 was made(1977)it was USA.
    LG
    [COLOR="#800000"]This thread inspired me to look into the origins of popular winches. **according to people on the internet** Warn sources parts, and does partial assembly of some models, in China. (I put the disclaimer in there because obviously it can't be on the internet if it's not true right?) I think all brands are starting to, or already doing this. Otherwise they could not be competitive. The question becomes (as with anything else) what standard the company holds the factory to.[/COLOR]

Originally posted by Jeeper Creeper View Post
    Looking at this, is the Tiger-Shark a lesser winch then the regular Superwinches?
    http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Winches-Jeep..._pn=SWI1595200
    [COLOR="#800000"]The Tiger Shark series is described as an "Entry Level" winch. Not really designed for constant pulling like we do for Adopt-A-Trail, but with the experiences I've had with Superwinch products I would feel confident saying it would be completely dependable when you need it. If you're looking for an occasional use winch it might be the way to go for you. By occasional use I mean using it for recovery, not for pulling 6,000+lb. boulders/trees over a distance like we do for AAT. Again though, it's a steel cable only winch, not recommended to put synthetic line on it.[/COLOR]
    Last edited by USMC 0369; 01-29-14, 01:24 PM.
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
      [COLOR="#800000"] I think all brands are starting to, or already doing this. Otherwise they could not be competitive. The question becomes (as with anything else) what standard the company holds the factory to.[/COLOR]
      Don't worry. According to your President last night he will be changing this.
      Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
        [COLOR="#800000"]This thread inspired me to look into the origins of popular winches. **according to people on the internet** Warn sources parts, and does partial assembly of some models, in China. (I put the disclaimer in there because obviously it can't be on the internet if it's not true right?) I think all brands are starting to, or already doing this. Otherwise they could not be competitive. The question becomes (as with anything else) what standard the company holds the factory to.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="#800000"]The Tiger Shark series is described as an "Entry Level" winch. Not really designed for constant pulling like we do for Adopt-A-Trail. If you're looking for an occasional use winch it might be the way to go for you. Again though, it's a steel cable only winch, do not put synthetic line on it.[/COLOR]
        Well crap then......... Im looking for something I can use all day...so guess im looking at the Superwinch 8500 now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeper Creeper View Post
          Well crap then......... Im looking for something I can use all day...so guess im looking at the Superwinch 8500 now.
          [COLOR="#800000"]Brother I went through the same shopping hell you are going through now. I weighed what I wanted vs. what I could afford, vs. the experience I'd seen out on the trail.

My want's were:
          - 8,000 lbs pulling power minimum (the advice I was given was at least twice the weight of your vehicle)
          - Synthetic line capable. (I'd never seen a backlash on an off road winch, but once on a military hovercraft. Nobody hurt but not pretty.)
          - I wanted a Superwinch because I saw Ryan's (Hook & Ladder) Warn start smoking (literally) doing the stuff we do with them.*** (see disclaimer)

I knew it wasn't going to be an item I was going to run right out and buy & be satisfied with what I could get, so I knew I was going to have to save a couple months of Jeep money up. So cost was relative to quality for me.

My :2: and then I'll shut-up:

The Superwinch 9.5 is a solid performer and you can pull on it all damn day. Use the steel cable until you can get a synthetic one.

I'm sure the LP8500 is a great winch, (but again not recommended for synthetic line). I fear you'll want synthetic in the future and will regret not going with the better winch. The price is right for this winch otherwise, but if you wait-n-save a little longer my guess is you'll be happier in the end.

***Disclaimer - Please, I know there are many lovers of Warn and I'm not bashing the company, just the 8,000lb winch Ryan had...which he gave to me...which was then stolen from me...This comment was based solely off my experience with a particular product. On the flip side, a couple folks on MJR have rocked a Harbor Freight winch for a while and never complained. Although I'm not sure how much they used it.***[/COLOR]
          Last edited by USMC 0369; 01-29-14, 01:53 PM.
          [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
          Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

This seems like a pretty good deal to me. You can always add the synthetic later.
            http://www.amazon.com/Superwinch-169.../dp/B004Q7D3AC
            Check out .

Comment

Even better.
              http://www.jeep4x4center.com/superwi...w-1695210.html
              Check out .

Comment

USMC 0369
                Can you post the links you used for the Warn info?
                I know the insides of the 8274 have changed, and wondered why.
                THX,
                LG
                Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

I need tires and 17" rims with bead locks! Ok having to spend more then I would like for a decent winch I have to put everything else on hold for now and stay with my same tire size. I think its more important to have recovery you can count on. Jeeps Empty Every Pocket.

Comment

Most people hardly ever use there winch. Most problems with them are installer error or operator misuse.
                    So if your not wheeling the Hammers all the time. I would not go with a high price winch. The m8000 is all most people will ever need. Or a small superwinch.
                    Last edited by curtis; 01-29-14, 04:57 PM.
                    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

I would opt for a good quality winch first with a steel cable then upgrade to a synthetic later based upon your use. Put the money into a good winch manufacturer (based upon what your judgement is leaning towards). You may find yourself not using the winch as much as you intend. Or if your do find yourself using the winch more, upgrade later to a synthetic rope once the steel on needs replacing.

Also consider ease in getting replacement parts..like loosing a controller. Sometimes it's easier on shipping cost for items manufacture/bought in the states
                      I Still think a superwinch is the best, I had a warn and it didn't perform as good as a superwinch...however the warn was an older model pulling heavy rocks and rated at 8000lbs. My superwinch is a 9.5 and I too started out on a steel cable before converting. It kicks ass at pulling and the speed is great. It also stays cool during heavy winching applications.

Comment

NO ONE ever saved a dime with a cheap winch. :hide:

LG
                        Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

what is wrong with these?
                          http://www.amazon.com/Superwinch-159...rds=Superwinch

http://www.amazon.com/Superwinch-158...rds=Superwinch

http://www.amazon.com/WARN-86245-VR8...rn+M8000+Winch
                          IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

The Superwinch TS9500, I wonder how that one is! I'd love to put my M8000 on the Willys, and get something a little stronger on the TJ.
                            [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                            www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Just a question Daniel,why do you need a big one?

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                                Just a question Daniel,why do you need a big one?
                                Can't hurt, can it? Especially for pulls when the line isn't extended very far.

Plus, I don't want to put a shiny new winch on the old willys, I'd rather use the beat up looking one from the TJ and get a new one for the TJ
                                [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                                www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Working...
                                X