Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[COLOR="#800000"]From the Superwinch Website:
    "Warning: Synthetic rope cannot be used on this off-road winch. Synthetic rope can only be used on winches with steel drums designed specifically to withstand the rigorous forces created-by synthetic rope; for example the Superwinch Terra Series, the Danny O'Day S4000, the S4000SR or the Talon Series. In addition, the heat generated by the brake which is located inside the LP Series drum exceeds the heat limitations of Dyneema synthetic rope. Many of our competitors will sell you a winch with a similar brake in drum setup with aftermarket synthetic rope and will not warn you of the damage which may occur to the winch, rope, vehicle or injury to the winch operator."

Link to the winch I purchased on Amazon when it was on Sale for $450. (mine came with a synthetic rope and GIGANTIC hook also.) Timing counts for a lot I guess.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Here's Winch Chart put up by "FourWheeler" magazine... looks like the Engo tested pretty well, and the prices are in reach.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
        [COLOR="#800000"]From the Superwinch Website:
        "Warning: Synthetic rope cannot be used on this off-road winch. Synthetic rope can only be used on winches with steel drums designed specifically to withstand the rigorous forces created-by synthetic rope; for example the Superwinch Terra Series, the Danny O'Day S4000, the S4000SR or the Talon Series. In addition, the heat generated by the brake which is located inside the LP Series drum exceeds the heat limitations of Dyneema synthetic rope. Many of our competitors will sell you a winch with a similar brake in drum setup with aftermarket synthetic rope and will not warn you of the damage which may occur to the winch, rope, vehicle or injury to the winch operator."

Link to the winch I purchased on Amazon when it was on Sale for $450. (mine came with a synthetic rope and GIGANTIC hook also.) Timing counts for a lot I guess.[/COLOR]
        Good to know! When I click on your link it takes me to one with the wire rope.... how did youget the synthetic rope on it?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeper Creeper View Post
          Good to know! When I click on your link it takes me to one with the wire rope.... how did youget the synthetic rope on it?
          [COLOR="#800000"]I got mine around [wasn't Christmas it was June]. It was a "package special". It came with a 50' line though. I'm saving my pennies for the CJ rebuild or I'd get an 80' rope which is what I've read is the appropriate max length at 5/16 diameter for that winch. They have those package specials on Amazon from time to time. I'm unable to find the same winch with synthetic on it at the moment....well...for under $1,000 anyway.[/COLOR]
          Last edited by USMC 0369; 01-28-14, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Warn 8274, w/150' of cable.
            Started out on my '77, FJ-40.
            Put it on my Jeep CJ-7 when I bought the Jeep, new in 1985.
            Still go'n strong with only 2 rebuilds....
            LG
            Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
              Warn 8274, w/150' of cable.
              Started out on my '77, FJ-40.
              Put it on my Jeep CJ-7 when I bought the Jeep, new in 1985.
              Still go'n strong with only 2 rebuilds....
              LG
              [COLOR="#800000"]I have been looking for one of those for my CJ for a long time. I like the specs on the line speed, pull rate, and the overall appearance on a CJ. If you know of one for under $1800.00 tell me where to look![/COLOR]

Comment

Mine was free in 1977 when I bought my Toyota LC.
                Told the dealer I didn't want the winch(BIG LIE)The dealer didn't want to take it off so they took the $500.00 off.
                LG

Comment

For my buggy I got rid of the Milemarker (clutch issues) and replaced with a Warn M8000. I watched ebay and scored a new in box for $500. They are pretty much fair traded at $650. I then put synthetic line on it. It took a while to find the winch, but it pays off to be dilligent.
                  Rich

Comment

I like the M8000 I have on my TJ. I've had it for maybe 3 years now, I seem to remember getting it brand new for just a bit more than $400? Now they go for $650? That's a big price jump for only a few years eh?
                    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

I guess you need to ask yourself a question. Do you plan on frequent use or seldom/occasional use? For frequent use I would go with a superwinch of newer model warn. For seldom to occasional buy a lower end. I would suggested getting a 9000lbs rated winch in either way

Comment

I would find out which is USA made:wink:
                        LG

Comment

I don't have much experience on all the different types of winches because I've only owned ONE . I LOVE my Warn 9500i... I've had it for nearly 15 yrs now and it's NEVER let me down. Never even wimpered. With that said, I see that they are pretty expensive now and see that most winches are either pricey or oddly cheap. Use your common sense on that one.. FWIW I got my brand new winch on Ebay for 750 bucks back in 1999
                          1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
                            I would find out which is USA made:wink:
                            LG
                            [COLOR="#800000"]Well, USA assembled....with parts shipped from China. [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
                              [COLOR="#800000"]Well, USA assembled....with parts shipped from China. [/COLOR]
                              ??The Warn 8274 is now China??
                              I do know when my 8274 was made(1977)it was USA.
                              LG

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                                Superwinch. Nuff said.
                                Looking at this, is the Tiger-Shark a lesser winch then the regular Superwinches?

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Winches-Jeep..._pn=SWI1595200

Comment

Working...
                                X