Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Winches

For some reason I cant get my winch to wind in my cable. I unwound my cable because I wanted to get it on correctly. (I do this periodically after use). I can hold my control lever to the "out" position and the winch drum will spin both ways, but when I let go of the lever it pops to the "in" position and locks, I cant move the drum in either direction... this is the position it should be in to wind in the cable. I noticed that there was a small hole on the drum... looked like some spring loaded pin or something was in there. I don't know what brand the winch is or the pulling lbs or how worn out it is so I've been looking at new ones. Smitty built has a 5.5hp 10,000 pound winch for a good price, I had a Warn 9.5ti on another Jeep, but I don't want to just pay for the name. Anyone ever used the Smitty built winches...?
    Last edited by Jeeper Creeper; 01-26-14, 07:39 AM. Reason: wrong word

Originally posted by Jeeper Creeper View Post
    For some reason I cant get my winch to wind in my cable. I unwound my cable because I wanted to get it on correctly. (I do this periodically after use). I can hold my control lever to the "out" position and the winch drum will spin both ways, but when I let go of the lever it pops to the "in" position and locks, I cant move the drum in either direction... this is the position it should be in to wind in the cable. I noticed that there was a small hole on the drum... looked like some spring loaded pin or something was in there. I don't know what brand the winch is or the pulling lbs or how worn out it is so I've been looking at new ones. Smitty built has a 5.5hp 10,000 pound winch for a good price, I had a Warn 9.5ti on another Jeep, but I don't want to just pay for the name. Anyone ever used the Smitty built winches...?
    Engo E9000... https://cdn.shptrn.com/media/mfg/515...pdf?1342639499 out performed quite a few known names.and its only about 350.00
    1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

I have a Bulldog 10,000 pound winch. Good price and works well.

http://bulldogwinch.com/

http://www.bulldogwinch.com/index.cf...=prod/prd8.htm

I purchased it from 4 West in Colton, CA. http://www.4west.com/
      Never the last trail!:cactus:

Comment

Superwinch. Nuff said.
        Check out .

Comment

I'm a Warn guy.....

Whatever winch you get, look at the line speed. Compare the ratings at 4000 pound pull. A slow winch will create issues, because you cannot pull and drive at the same speed, causing slack and then a jerk as you fall back on the slack.
          Last edited by Ol Man; 01-27-14, 08:45 AM.
          Rich

Comment

Superwinch!

Comment

There are 3 of us that have Superwinches that have seen a tremendous about of use working on Holcomb and the only issue I remember was once one of the motor bolts snapped. It was an easy fix but I have seen those things work all day long day after day with no issues.
              Check out .

Comment

I have to agree, I've seen the superwinches in action all day long on Holcomb.

I've got a Warn on mine, which I like. But they are so darn expensive now!
                [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

I have a T-Max, comp series winch. It has never let me down. Comes with a wireless controller, synthetic line, and aluminum hauws style fairlead . Also has a backup controller cable, just in case batteries in the wireless, poop out on you. The only drawback is, the drum is narrower then a standard winch. So you'll have to drill some new mounting holes in your winch plate, or bumper. The winch is smaller and lighter then most, so you save a few pounds.
                  It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Warn M8000... mine looks like it works... i never drive my YJ so I don't know

Comment

Super Winch sounds good but wow they are pricey....... cheapest
                      one I could find with rope was over $1000

Comment

just found one for 300 on amazon for you...

http://www.amazon.com/Superwinch-158...rds=warn+m8000

and that price includes free shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by vwtipeii View Post
                          just found one for 300 on amazon for you...

http://www.amazon.com/Superwinch-158...rds=warn+m8000

and that price includes free shipping.
                          Well surely I wasn't looking in the right place. If it had synthetic rope I'd be all over it.

Comment

You can always change from cable to rope later. That's what I did and saved money...see Viking winch line/rope

Comment

Originally posted by HookandLadder View Post
                              You can always change from cable to rope later. That's what I did and saved money...see Viking winch line/rope
                              So would I replace it with the same as the wire rope ie; size and length with synthetic rope?

Comment

Working...
                              X