Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
    Motor size has nothing to do gear ratio. Certain set ups would be better with 5.xx gears. When I had my 35's I was running 4.88's and with my set up it was to tall. I should have had 5.13's. It depends on the transmission.

http://www.ringpinion.com/Calculators/Calc_RPM.aspx
    This calculator is the bomb, gives side by side comparisons, gives you crawl ratios, onroad speed you name it. Love this thing, very usefull tool

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
      Motor size has nothing to do gear ratio. Certain set ups would be better with 5.xx gears. When I had my 35's I was running 4.88's and with my set up it was to tall. I should have had 5.13's. It depends on the transmission.
      In theory, engine size makes no differance. But when you only have a 4 banger, you still don't have the torque, or hp, you need to get the jeep to move out of its own way. When I had my 4 popper YJ, with 33's and 4;88's. If there was any kind of incline, you could forget about 5th gear.
      It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Originally posted by vwtipeii View Post
        if you are running 35" tires you normally won't need any "5.xx" gears anyway. 4.56 is normally fine with 35's with a 4.0L. If that is the case he should be fine... if he gets bored... he can buy the "lower costing" RCV axle shafts for the HP30 for around 800 or ask Bo for his for only 500
        I think it depends on you situation. I'd like 5;13's, for the trail. But my jeep's, a DD, so I"ll probably settle with 4;88's. Besides Brett, not all of us have a 10:1 T-case, to make up for it.
        It was like that when I got here.

Comment

On a Rubicon with a manual trans 4.88 works well, for one with an auto 5.13 is the ticket. Same goes for aw4 conversions. Since they have a taller overdrive than the manual transmissions and seem to rob a bit more power

Comment

GEE might need some lower gears. May need to do the new front axle before I Break the HP30.
            IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

The fun just doesn't ever end does it Curtis

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                On a Rubicon with a manual trans 4.88 works well, for one with an auto 5.13 is the ticket. Same goes for aw4 conversions. Since they have a taller overdrive than the manual transmissions and seem to rob a bit more power
                ^^^What Art said for 35s... I have 33s & 4.88s with the Auto and it's about just right both on and off road
                [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

So is that a 4 to 1 transfer with that?
                  IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Actually for you 4.56 or 4.88 might be doable, just try it, the crawl ratio sucks though, the torque converter better make up for a 65:1 crawlratio even with a 4:1 transfercase

Comment

I'm running 37's with ARB Lockers front and rear with 513 gearing on my Dana 30.

Here is how I wheel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BBA6VtsA-o&hd=1

Comment

Comment

JK os a somewhat different animal and the D30 on those will take 5.13 gears. The D30 for a TJ will not 4.88 is all there is. Playing on JB and Holcomb eh, looks like the wheelin style could use a lil bit of help
                          Last edited by aw12345; 07-16-12, 10:06 AM.

Comment

@ Aw,

Yes. Wheeling experience will help! That's why we tried doing the harder lines at both Jbull and Holcomb.
                            Last edited by Pluke the 2; 07-16-12, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Well after reading all the post I think I'll just keep running with the D30 and see how far that will take me. Thanks for all the replies!

Comment

I ran a D30 for 20yrs with a DL(prototype, before they put'm out for sale) w/33's and 4:56's and a T-5 with no issues.
                                I just didn't get stupid with the skinny pedal is all.
                                LG
                                Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Working...
                                X