Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bent dana 44

This weekend out in Pismo, I managed to bend my front dana 44. It didnt last too long womb raider or did you sell me a bent axle?LOL! I launched the jeep and came down hard passenger, double bounced and .... well, the rest is history.

I would like any suggestions on what I should do, other than examine my head! Should I get it straigtened, and if so where? Upgrade? then to what? Any info would help. Thanks.

It did bring me home though, so I happy about that. At low speeds I could hear clunking noises, but it got me 200 miles home. Im happy to report at least that at surf and turf the jeep was the only vechicle amongst toyotas that at least put on a show.

It is pretty easy to straigthen a bent housing, and not too expensive. If it is a stock TJ dana 44 from a Rubicon, you may think about sleeving the axle as well to improve the strength. I am certain that there are any number of good places to straigthen your axle in the LA area.

I know that Jason at Tri County Gear in Pomona will do it, and I believe that Mike at 4x Doctor in Burbank will as well. I am certain that many an MJR member can provide you with names so you can find one close to home.

If you are going to swap out the axle, then now is the time to think about what your ultimate goal is. Better to buy too much axle now, than to go through multiple upgrades and replacements.....trust me.........I too learned this the hard (expensive) way. Best of luck.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Hi Nikos, sorry to hear of the bent axle. Friend of mine just had his straightened and sleeved to give it some strength. He is a retired machinist so he did it himself, but I could find out who did the straightening part. You might try Off road Evolution in Buena Park and see if the will do it. If you have it repaired, you should have it sleeved and gussets put on the outer bracket that holds the knuckle, to give it some beef. I was quoted $$600-700 but not including the straightening.

The Rubi D44 are really weak,the outer components and tubes are all Dana 30. You could go with a Dynatrac 44 Housing and then mount all your gears and lockers, axle shafts and outerparts, knuckle, discs brakes on the diff, but it alone will set you back $2000.+. for the housing.
      Here is a link, or
      http://www.dynatrac.com/products_prorock44.html
      06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
      07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

Ya your right, I know. I've spent too much money learning that lesson. But even so, I can take all that back and money now is in short supply. The dana 44 was not a bad upgrade for what I do, but the axle tubes are a 30, and thats what I upgraded from. I fell upon the 44 because tomb raider was upgrading his to 60's, so it made sense. I know mike and he has worked on my jeep, I will call soon. Im in catalina now, and just happened to come across the internet.

Comment

Off Road Evolution is in Fullerton. Ask for Mel.
          07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

Originally posted by mrchips View Post
            Hi Nikos, sorry to hear of the bent axle. Friend of mine just had his straightened and sleeved to give it some strength. He is a retired machinist so he did it himself, but I could find out who did the straightening part. You might try Off road Evolution in Buena Park and see if the will do it. If you have it repaired, you should have it sleeved and gussets put on the outer bracket that holds the knuckle, to give it some beef. I was quoted $$600-700 but not including the straightening.

The Rubi D44 are really weak,the outer components and tubes are all Dana 30. You could go with a Dynatrac 44 Housing and then mount all your gears and lockers, axle shafts and outerparts, knuckle, discs brakes on the diff, but it alone will set you back $2000.+. for the housing.
            Here is a link, or
            http://www.dynatrac.com/products_prorock44.html
            Hi there, how are you? Ya, I waying in my options now. Maybe buying a beefy housing and using my parts could be the answer, plus I would get a high pinion upgrade. Thanks.

Comment

LOL.

where's the pics??

Go big. you will be back in the same boat again with the next stunt you pull.
              Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Originally posted by womb raider 940 View Post
                LOL.

where's the pics??

Go big. you will be back in the same boat again with the next stunt you pull.
                Better yet, its all on video. Im in Catalina till thursday, but when I get back i'll get the footage from my friend and post it. Its sick!

What you mean big? Example please! What you think about a dynatrac 44 housing? Dana 60 is too heavy for a daily driver plus way too much!

Comment

Originally posted by nikos View Post
                  Better yet, its all on video. Im in Catalina till thursday, but when I get back i'll get the footage from my friend and post it. Its sick!

What you mean big? Example please! What you think about a dynatrac 44 housing? Dana 60 is too heavy for a daily driver plus way too much!
                  yeah but a 60 is a helluva lot stronger than the 44. buy once not 5 times.

Hopefully mine will last after i am finshed. just need hydro steering.
                  Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Originally posted by womb raider 940 View Post
                    yeah but a 60 is a helluva lot stronger than the 44. buy once not 5 times.

Hopefully mine will last after i am finshed. just need hydro steering.
                    Your setup is awesome, but you will only use the rig offroad. Dana 60's are great but for my application I feel too heavy. You think a dynatrac 44 housing is weak? I have a feeling it could do the job. Solid sells a 44 housing and its high pinion, do you know anything about them?

Comment

I am going to put a Trail Series Dynatrac 60 in the rear of my LJ, and then run a HD44 housing up front. The Dynatrac housing is 50% stronger than the current axle you have. What are the max tire size that you will run?. That makes the difference and not jumping the vehicle helps.
                      07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

I have broken my wifes D44 rear in the JK rubicon 3 times now. They are really weak as compared to my D44 I abuse the crap out of and it has yet to even complain.
                        censored for having an opinion

Comment

Originally posted by mrchips View Post
                          I am going to put a Trail Series Dynatrac 60 in the rear of my LJ, and then run a HD44 housing up front. The Dynatrac housing is 50% stronger than the current axle you have. What are the max tire size that you will run?. That makes the difference and not jumping the vehicle helps.
                          35's. ha jumping doesnt help>lol. I knew better but just got caught up in the moment.LOL.

Comment

Keep in mind with the ProRock 44 that mrchips linked you can't reuse any of your inner stuff as it's based on the JK 44 and, as such, uses JK parts.
                            "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

Does anybody have any suggestions on what axle upgrade or any recommendations on which way I should go about this? Any comments on a dana 60 from currie. I drive the jeep everyday so would a 60 be too heavy? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X