Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is no reason why you cannot run a dana 60 in a daily driver, full width is a bit much and its a bit of overkill for 35's but other than that it will be a heck of a good upgrade

Comment

Thanks for the input. The more and more I think about it, the more I just should upgrade to a 60 and never look back. Thanks. What do you think of the currie 60?

Comment

If you got the coin go currie Rockjock you will never be sorry.
        IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

I prefer Dynatrac, components are all made in America, and the quality is outstanding. Have heard some of the Rock Jock castings are made out of the US.
          Buy American when you can.
          06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
          07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

Figure out what you'll be doing with your Jeep as far a tire size and the trails you plan on running in the future.

The perfect axle is the smallest one you can run without braking. Anything more will negatively effect performance.

A Dana 60 is great if you need it, but it's big, heavy and has a lot of rotating mass. If you're not planning on going with big tires and hammering your Jeep you're better off beefing up your 44 like others have suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by mrchips View Post
              I prefer Dynatrac, components are all made in America, and the quality is outstanding. Have heard some of the Rock Jock castings are made out of the US.
              Buy American when you can.
              Is it true that I cant re-use my existing parts in the dynatrac 44 housing? That would cut my cost down for sure. I would have already called them, but i'm in Catalina.

Comment

Originally posted by Double AA View Post
                Figure out what you'll be doing with your Jeep as far a tire size and the trails you plan on running in the future.

The perfect axle is the smallest one you can run without braking. Anything more will negatively effect performance.

A Dana 60 is great if you need it, but it's big, heavy and has a lot of rotating mass. If you're not planning on going with big tires and hammering your Jeep you're better off beefing up your 44 like others have suggested.
                I like 35's but as far as trails and use, I run the jeep hard. Hence, the busted front axle. I dont want to deal with this issue anymore. I've already spent too much, where I should have just gone with a 60 and called it a day. How much will the 60 affect the jeeps driving characteristics?

Comment

Catching air in your Jeep and rock crawling stress your Jeep differently. A trussed D44 will take harder landings then an untrussed D60. But a D60 shines when it come to low gears, big tires and big rocks, but you have to have enough tire to keep it from dragging.

It was very noticeable when I went from stock axles to Dana 44/60. It can be felt both accelerating and braking. The unsprung weight can also be felt, but not really a big concern in a Jeep.

Comment

Originally posted by nikos View Post
                    Is it true that I cant re-use my existing parts in the dynatrac 44 housing? That would cut my cost down for sure. I would have already called them, but i'm in Catalina.

The ProRock 44 that was linked is based off of the JK front 44. It is high pinion and uses the larger "Dana 44" gears from the JK.

From their site:

"Saves you money! The new ProRock 44 has big improvements in strength and ground clearance, but lets you re-use your stock or aftermarket JK Dana 44F internal parts, and your JK or TJ wheel ends and brakes."
                    "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

Originally posted by 4xfiend View Post
                      The ProRock 44 that was linked is based off of the JK front 44. It is high pinion and uses the larger "Dana 44" gears from the JK.

From their site:

"Saves you money! The new ProRock 44 has big improvements in strength and ground clearance, but lets you re-use your stock or aftermarket JK Dana 44F internal parts, and your JK or TJ wheel ends and brakes."
                      cool thanks. Do you know anything about Solid axles. they have a hp 44 for a tj and I could use my internals.

Comment

This is taken from Dynatrac website, all components are transferable except for the ring and pinion ,

Made in the USA – Dynatrac's American-made quality and warranty is standard equipment on all ProRock 44 housings and assemblies.
                        Dynatrac ProRock high ground clearance design (Pat.Pend.), with big 3-inch”, thick wall tubing. Did you know that stock JK and TJ Dana 44 front axles only have 2.5” x .25” wall tubing?
                        The ProRock 44 is a high-pinion Dana 44 replacement housing designed to capitalize on the advantages of the stronger “New Generation” Dana 44 ring & pinion gears and axle shafts equipped with larger U-joints. Did you know that all stock TJ Rubicon Dana 44 axles were low-pinion? Fact - High pinion gears and housings are stronger than their low-pinion counterparts when installed in a front driving axle application.
                        Each housing also includes Dynatrac’s new Pro44 end forging which is much stronger than stock and very important for running big tires. They will maintain proper wheel camber even under severe use. This is a actual steel forging made in the USA, not an imported casting like the other guys.
                        JK Owners - The ProRock 44 housing is fully compatible and ready to accept your existing stock and aftermarket JK Dana 44 ring and pinion gears, lockers, knuckles, brakes and axle shafts. JK owners with Dana 30 front axles can re-use their knuckles, wheel bearings, and brakes.
                        TJ Owners - The ProRock 44 housing is fully compatible with your existing stock and aftermarket TJ Dana 44 lockers, knuckles, brakes and axle shafts. TJ owners with Dana 30 front axles can re-use their knuckles, wheel bearings, and brakes.
                        Extreme-duty, steel suspension brackets are 50% thicker and much stronger than stock brackets. All are computer designed and CNC manufactured in the USA.
                        Want to add stronger shafts, change ratios, or upgrade to a locker? No problem! Dynatrac has upgrade packages to fit your budget.
                        You can buy a finished ProRock 44 housing to build an axle in your own shop, or order a complete customized assembly from the professionals at Dynatrac.
                        06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
                        07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

Originally posted by Double AA View Post

This is excellent advice. You can believe all the marketing materials that are out there, and subsequently end up spending much time and money chasing a rainbow's end. If at all possible, determine what you want as your prefered set-up and usage requirements...and then build to that end. Sleeved and gussted TJ 44's are capable and proven of taking much abuse.....fixing your axle could be the right idea depending on your ultimate goals. I believe that it is better to have a jeep that really works, than to have all the latest and greatest stuff that is poorly matched to the job at hand.............but of course, I do drive an older jeep. Just my 2 cents.
                          Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Thanks for all the good advice. I appreciate it all.

Comment

One of the reasons I would be considering a dynatrac 44 would be the high pinion and off course its strength. I will have to find out what they want for it.

The second choice like mentioned would be to fix my origingal one, and the truss it to increase its strength. Lets see how much thats going to be.

Dana 60 is realistically not what I need for this jeep.

Comment

Came across this on another forum. I don't have any idea how much shipping from IN would cost, but it's a D44 front housing off an 04 Rubi . . . FREEEEEEE!!!

http://rubiconownersforum.com/phpbb3...hp?f=6&t=67774
                                That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Working...
                                X