Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overflowing while filling up

I am having yet another minor annoying problem with my recently purchased 94 Wrangler. It seems that no matter what I do, every single time I fill up the gas tank it overflows. (note: I do not try to top off.) The automatic shut off on the pumps just aren't able to detect when the tank is full and I get a good (or bad) amount of spillage all over the back of the jeep and on the ground. Does anyone have any fix for this situation? I have tried bending down and listening but I can never hear anything and I am worried about getting gas all over me. Also, my gas gauge is badly offset so I never know just how much I am going to have to put in.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

I dont pump the gas full blast into the jeep. Also there are no hands-free gas pumps allowed in the state where I live. What I was trying to say before was that no matter how fast or slow I pump the gas it overflows. This weekend I had to put gas in again, and another overflow. One thing I have noticed is that because of the way the license plate folds down and the way the tail light is right there I am unable to fit the gas nozzle into the hole as far as in other cars. If anyone else has some advice instead of a condescending comment I would be grateful.

Comment

I'm not sure how the pumps determine your tank is full.:confused: maybe try removing the entire license plate bracket and see if it makes any differance.
      myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

I have a '93 and a '95....... They both were the same way.... the tube going down to the tank has two sharp of bends and it's pretty small and it just can't shut off in time. I just carry a rag. No big...

Comment

when i pump gas in mine, if i turn the pump on, and let it go... the nozzle will fly out of the tank and spill gas all over the ground when it is full.
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

doesnt it detect if the tank is full by either the amount of fumes or the fact that the front tip of the nozzel is in the gas...i think thats it, anyway if the nozzel wont fit in all the way i can see your problem. try timing how long it takes to fill your tank untill it overflows then just pump fuel in a little shorter or a little longer depending on how much gas you think is left in the tank...Mind you this advice is coming from a rookie, i dont pump the gas too often.
            B R E T T
            87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

oh, and one more thing... when i set up the nozzle to fill up my jeep.. when it is full the whole damn nozzle flys out onto the ground.
              Last edited by JeepGal; 03-20-04, 10:27 PM.
              ERIK

Comment

I cleaned this thread up a bit, lets keep this post on topic and HELPFUL. We dont need to be condescending.

Nuff said.

Tam
                2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

I see that the First Amendment of the Constitution is no longer alive in this little corner of the internet. If coddling imbiciles is so important on this site, then I don't belong here.

Comment

agreed.. have a nice day
                    ERIK

Comment

So the handle come flying out, what about the string? Personally I use the spoon! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by PRegner
                        I see that the First Amendment of the Constitution is no longer alive in this little corner of the internet. If coddling imbiciles is so important on this site, then I don't belong here.
                        Originally posted by Nailer341
                        agreed.. have a nice day
                        And there you go!
                        2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                        Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Thank you!
                          Hey Kiabird...Sorry about the jerk, he's probably never owned a YJ.... I usually try to listen for the gas filling up the pipe, I can hear it when it is getting full, the pitch rises, like filling up a bottle and then let off the handle and trickle gas into it as slow as the pump will allow...... I haven't ever tried to fix it permanently, like maybe buying a new filler hose from the tank to the opening...

Comment

Originally posted by PRegner
                            I see that the First Amendment of the Constitution is no longer alive in this little corner of the internet.
                            It doesn't have anything to do with that.
                            :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by carrizojim
                              Thank you!
                              never owned a YJ.... I usually try to listen for the gas filling up the pipe, I can hear it when it is getting full, the pitch rises, like filling up a bottle and then let off the handle and trickle gas into it as slow as the pump will allow...... I haven't ever tried to fix it permanently, like maybe buying a new filler hose from the tank to the opening...
                              I've never owned a YJ. But I do have a TJ and sometimes I overfill the tank also. Sometimes I have noticed that if I (and I do mean I) am not paying attention to it is when it overflows. I guess that's what I get when I'm paying more attention to the kids. Which I overflow it quite often.
                              1993 Wrangler Black, 4" ProComp Lift, 33s.
                              Glad to be back in California!

Comment

Working...
                              X