Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay - removing the rear DS is a piece of cake. I think I'll go that way. Better safe than sorry.
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
      Then how come tow dollies are legal?
      They have no brakes and like most single axle trailers they do weigh about 1500LBS unloaded. If it was illegal
      they would not be for rent in this fine state of California, seems to me there is a distinction like a 2 axle trailer or something, haven't seen very many single axle trailers with brakes on them yet. Tow bar is a different animal yet. You think a single axle trailer with 2 seedoos on it weighs less than 1500lbs?
      Thats a good question..why is that?
      I tow my TJ with my Motorhome and I haven't had any problems.
      Arrow Trailer in Ontario did a great job wiring my lights and installing a hidden hitch,works great.
      I am planning to purchase the break buddy for the Yosemite trips, I don't feel too safe going down Yosemite without it.
      I drive for a living and I use to run the Big Bear and Arrowhead route but my 45 had a Jake brake..with out it I would of burned out my breaks.
      Last edited by Fredo; 10-03-09, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
        I think the best answer for towing a Jeep is a dolly. You can buy them with surge brakes for $750. You don't need a parking space because you can lean it up on the side of your garage. And if you are worried about the Tcase carry a 8mm wrench so you can disconnect the rear driveshaft. And as and added bonus your can back up with a dolly like you cant. when you are flat towing. I think this is going to be my solution to tow my YJ with the wife's 3.4L V6 4Runner.
        Check your owners manual...but most rear wheel drive vehicles with transfer cases are not designed to be towed with only the rear wheels down. If you use a dolly you must remove the rear driveshaft.

Speaking from experience.....good luck with backing up a dolly
        Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
          Check your owners manual...but most rear wheel drive vehicles with transfer cases are not designed to be towed with only the rear wheels down. If you use a dolly you must remove the rear driveshaft.
          Not true with the TJ. All that needs to be done to flat tow or to tow with a tow dolly is to shift the tranny into Park or into gear and shift the transfer case into Neutral. That the front tires are on the ground or on a tow dolly has absolutely zero effect on this.
          The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
            I think the best answer for towing a Jeep is a dolly. You can buy them with surge brakes for $750. You don't need a parking space because you can lean it up on the side of your garage. And if you are worried about the Tcase carry a 8mm wrench so you can disconnect the rear driveshaft. And as and added bonus your can back up with a dolly like you cant. when you are flat towing. I think this is going to be my solution to tow my YJ with the wife's 3.4L V6 4Runner.
            Its really not a big deal towing on all fours...Just put the trans in gear and the transfer case in neutral and thats it.
            Just make sure when you are pulling into a gas station etc. that you are not going to have to back up, just plan ahead.
            Its cheap and safe and all you have to do; once you get to your destination... you just have to fold up the tow bar- very easy.
            Just be safe and think ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
              :hijack: Not sure if I would use a Tacoma (mini truck). Most issues happen within 10 miles from home? Also, I think your vehicle doing the towing has to be 40% heavier? I think those both weight the same? Motor may pull it fine. It's the panic stops when my family is in front of you stopped in traffic is when you learn to late, your brakes are under powered.

This post/thread is awsome. I think it has taught some, myself included. The do's and dont's in towing to keep not only your family safe, but other families on the road safe.
              There is no law stating that your tow rig has to be 40% heavier. Look at all the super duties pulling 12k lb trailers or big rigs pulling pulling 50k lb trailers. My tacoma rated to tow 6000 lbs and i dont really like pulling the jeep with it,but its capable, i just have to be cautious as you always should be anyway. I've only pulled it home from the shop and a couple other short trips.

Comment

Originally posted by TJ Clay View Post
                There is no law stating that your tow rig has to be 40% heavier. Look at all the super duties pulling 12k lb trailers or big rigs pulling pulling 50k lb trailers. My tacoma rated to tow 6000 lbs and i dont really like pulling the jeep with it,but its capable, i just have to be cautious as you always should be anyway. I've only pulled it home from the shop and a couple other short trips.
                I didn't say there was. But, thanks for the heads up. :dunno: Just stating what DMV says. I agree with you on the super duties. That why I said I personally think it's a lot of weight. I have towed 11,000 lbs before with a F250 diesel. More than once, and it's a lot of weight. But, again, your comparing apple to oranges. Your comparing a 2500 to mini truck (not a 1500). It's like comparing a Civic to a Hummer. They are not in the same class. Again, when you compare tow vehicles, you need to compare, axle width, size disc and/or drum brakes, size tires, length and width, etc, etc. Again, it's not just the motor.

My Avalanche says it can tow 8500lbs. I'd be a fool to tow that weight. I have a built trans (shift kit, external cooler, corvette parts, etc) I have 300hp/5.3l. The Avalanche rear axle is widder than a Tahoe. But, again, on this subject I have experience.

Fair enough. Keep in mind though. Most accidents happen within "x" miles from home. Again, I have experience towing with a "vehicle" that said it could tow 5500 or 6500lbs. Forget. But I towed maybe 4000lbs and it was scarey. I had to down shift on a panic stop. I'll save what happen onetime for another time.

Just for shits and giggles. About 3 yrs ago. I had this conversation with a neighbor. At first he had the opinion of some here. Then the other neighbor came over and explained what I was saying differently. In the end he agreed. His tahoe couldn't tow the trailer he wanted. But, for sport. I told him his sons 200cc (12-14hp!) could tow his 2003 tahoe (6500lbs) down the street, does it mean it's safe? He laughed and said it wasn't possible. Well, you should know me by now. I usually only say what I know is true. So, I told him bring out his sons quad and I got the tow chain. We hooked it up. Guess what? I towed it down the street with him in it without issue. I could have keep up with traffic. Needless to say, he was speachless! Again, just because it can tow it doesn't mean it's safe.

If you go to the tow forums. There is a ton of information. You will also find, most don't like the idea of towing what the manufacture weight says. Some say take what the manufacture says and cut it in 1/2 (probably true). That's the safe tow rate.

I need to run, I'll look it up later. But, if I remember right on my 2003 F250 the max tow rate was 12000 lbs! The motor could tow 15000 but the truck was only rated at 12000 which was max! Factor in people, gear in the truck etc. Not good IMHO.
                Last edited by Jeep4cern; 10-04-09, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Okay this string is just repeating itself.:poop::tp:

Scott

Comment

Ya, kinda got off topic.

Comment

Ya, I think there is a $.01 charge per letter posted. Not sure what the charge is when you read it :tongue::hide:

Good advice given. Tow away, post pics
                      Last edited by Jeep4cern; 10-04-09, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Guys... I appreciate everyone's $.01! This is very educational for us beginners...

I have a quick follow-up question... I was reading the OEM manual for the CJ-7... under the section for towing, it says "Turn the selective drive hubs to the 4X4 or Lock position for axle lubrication" Why does this sound off to me? I have always been told to make sure the hubs were NOT locked...

Can someone help me out here?

screenshot of the page...
                        Regards,
                        Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

www.youtube.com/user/MyBrokenJeep

Comment

I assume the axles get lubricated? If they are unlocked, the axles aren't spinning. Thus no lube. When the jeep turns, I thought the axle hub spun up gear oil, which lubbed the axles?

Comment

So, when flat towing your Jeep... Are you supposed to lock your hubs?
                            Regards,
                            Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

www.youtube.com/user/MyBrokenJeep

Comment

Originally posted by mybrokenjeep View Post
                              So, when flat towing your Jeep... Are you supposed to lock your hubs?
                              The front hub bearings are packed with grease so it doesn't matter if the hubs are locked or unlocked but I'd probably unlock them. The rear bearings are lubed by the ring gear picking up gear lube which runs down the axle tubes to the outside bearings.
                              The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
                                The front hub bearings are packed with grease so it doesn't matter if the hubs are locked or unlocked but I'd probably unlock them. The rear bearings are lubed by the ring gear picking up gear lube which runs down the axle tubes to the outside bearings.

He said it better than me

Comment

Working...
                                X