Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: Towing Question

Can I get some input about towing my Jeep with a towbar..
    My question is, What is done with the steering while towing a Jeep with a towbar? Do you put the wheels so they look straight, then take the key out, locking the steering wheel?
    Or is it left unlocked?
    Not sure about this one aspect of towing with a towbar.:bonk::dunno:

Thanks in advance,
    Scott

The steering wheel must be kept unlocked while flat towing. Also, make sure the transmission is either IN gear or in Park and the transfer case is in Neutral.
    The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Thanx

Thanks Jerry,
      It's a 6 spd s manual.
      It is appreciated.

Scott

Comment

You have to leave the key in it and leave the steering wheel unlocked. Do lots of homework because if you flat tow wrong you can do some damage. One important thing that is often overlooked when flat towing Jeeps is the angle of the tow bar. The tow bar should be 3-4 inches higher on the towball then where it attaches to the vehicle being towed. Under heavy braking, if the ball is lowwer then the vechile being towed will climb into the back of your tow rig.
        Those left standing
        Will make millions
        Writing books on ways
        It should have been
        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
          The steering wheel must be kept unlocked while flat towing. Also, make sure the transmission is either IN gear or in Park and the transfer case is in Neutral.
          You say the steering should remain unlocked during FLAT towing... what do you do when you head off pavement?

Comment

THanks Scott,
            Good detail to be aware of.

Scott

Comment

Anytime you are flat towing on pavement or dirt the steering should be unlocked(key in ignition). Also remember backing up is not a great idea. Because the caster angel in the suspention the wheels like to trun themselves in reverse and you may not end up going the direction you want to be going. Its differnet thenbacking up a trailer.
              Those left standing
              Will make millions
              Writing books on ways
              It should have been
              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                You have to leave the key in it and leave the steering wheel unlocked. Do lots of homework because if you flat tow wrong you can do some damage. One important thing that is often overlooked when flat towing Jeeps is the angle of the tow bar. The tow bar should be 3-4 inches higher on the towball then where it attaches to the vehicle being towed. Under heavy braking, if the ball is lowwer then the vechile being towed will climb into the back of your tow rig.
                Here is a question. I thought in California, if you tow over 1500lbs you needed aux brakes (hooked up to a brake controller)? Also a "break away".

Here is a link. There maybe be cheaper and better ones. But, it's a start.
                http://www.m-gengineering.com/BrakeSystem.html
                Last edited by Jeep4cern; 09-30-09, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Does this apply to flat towing?
                  Those left standing
                  Will make millions
                  Writing books on ways
                  It should have been
                  -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

I doubt you need all that stuff, even though a brake controller of sorts for the Jeep would be nice. They are just very expensive. Towed mine to Moab and Shaver lake just the way it is haven;t seen a Highway patroller yet that decided to bother me. So don't worry, put the trans in gear, the transfer case in neutral unlock the steering, get the get lights for towing, towbar, adjustable hitch from harbor freight and have at it

Comment

Originally posted by Dezertdog View Post
                      You say the steering should remain unlocked during FLAT towing... what do you do when you head off pavement?
                      Flat towing just means that you're towing the Jeep with all four of its tires on the ground. The term has nothing to do with being on or off-road.

Comment

The wording I saw says anything being towed (cars, motorcycles, etc) if it's over 1500 lbs, you have to have aux brakes. I think the PC was set up for more safety than anything. Had a friend send me some pics of a car accident. Guy was pulling a boat (without brakes) Big boat at that. Not small. He lost control. Couldn't stop the boat with his small suv. Which should have never been used to pulled the boat (Just because it's a v8 doesn't mean it can pull anything. More factors involved). Anyway, ruined a familes life. He's in an orange jump suit awaiting trial. He would to have loved to just have got a ticket by CHP. Your call.

Last edited by Jeep4cern; 09-30-09, 04:10 PM.

Comment

You sure it's 1500 lbs. in California? It used to be 3000 lbs. My pop-up tent trailer that comes in perhaps 1800 lbs. loaded GCVW came with electric brakes but the trailer salesman told me when I bought it new that they weren't yet legally needed... that they were just good to have so all their pop-up trailers come with electric brakes no matter how small. I do like having them, I am just not sure of the legal requires where the trailer's weight is concerned. I think it's 3000 lbs. but you certainly could be right saying it's 1500 lbs... I'm not 100% sure on my 3000 lb. thought.
                          Last edited by Jerry Bransford; 09-30-09, 04:00 PM.

Comment

I called CHP in Victorville 760-241-1186 and asked if a friend of mine is towing a jeep with a tow bar does he need the brakes hooked up? He replied, "yes". I asked is it over 3,000lbs or 1500lbs? He replied, "1500lbs in California".

If you need any help Scott, call me. I can point you in the right direction :thumbs_up
                            Last edited by Jeep4cern; 09-30-09, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Then how come tow dollies are legal?
                              They have no brakes and like most single axle trailers they do weigh about 1500LBS unloaded. If it was illegal
                              they would not be for rent in this fine state of California, seems to me there is a distinction like a 2 axle trailer or something, haven't seen very many single axle trailers with brakes on them yet. Tow bar is a different animal yet. You think a single axle trailer with 2 seedoos on it weighs less than 1500lbs?

Comment

Working...
                              X