Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
    I want to order one but I need to see a trail test before I buy it. Hurry up and go beat it up on a tuff trail so we can see how it holds up.
    We already know that 6061 T-6 aluminum skidplates do great on the trail. The developer of this skidplate has been running 6061 T-6 aluminum under his TJ for 7-8 years in Johnson Valley on the most extreme trails out there. If he can't dent or destroy it on the trails he runs, then we're not going to either.
    The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

I e-mailed him yesterday. It would seem that YJ owners that want a skid are going to have to be patient....:sad: They are focusing on the TJ and newer. Age discrimination?
      Money pit!

Comment

Just finished up a full install write-up in our Feature's Section

Here's the link:
        http://www.myjeeprocks.com/feature/s...-skid-install/
        Last edited by Dukes69; 05-20-09, 04:51 PM.
        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69 View Post
          Just finished up a full install write-up in our Feature's Section

Here's the link:
          http://www.myjeeprocks.com/feature/s...-skid-install/
          Very nice. Now how about the trail test? I'm sitting here ready to click the "Buy Now" button, just waiting for some test results (I may not be alone).

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Black & Tan TJ View Post
            Very nice. Now how about the trail test? I'm sitting here ready to click the "Buy Now" button, just waiting for some test results (I may not be alone).

Tom
            Trail test was yesterday. I'll post some pics up in a little bit. We ran John Bull and had to resort to backing the jeep into stuff to scratch it. We had a really hard time hitting the skid. I ended up peeling back the rear diff cover trying to take some stupid lines in order to hit the thing.

I know alot of people are worried about the Aluminum holding up to the abuse, but it just does. And even if you manage to wear it down to a nub, you just call them up and they'll send you another one. That's some good piece of mind.
            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Post a pic of of a jack under it with a rock or something in the cradle lifting the rear of the jeep off the ground completly.Lets see if it holds its shape. I really like the idea but not 100% convinced it will hold up with out some trail time on it. So their is an abuse warranty?that might change my mind.

Comment

Post a pic of of a jack under it with a rock or something in the cradle lifting the rear of the jeep off the ground completly.Lets see if it holds its shape. I really like the idea but not 100% convinced it will hold up with out some trail time on it. So their is an abuse warranty?that might change my mind.
                yes there is a warranty. if it is anything like the warranty of the other products it is one that will make you lose all concerns of the product.
                not knowing with any certainty what the warranty actually is, i'll let Gerald speak on that one.
                here are some pictures of the testing yesterday.

the design and shape made it VERY difficult to hit on anything. Chris tried relentlessly to smash the shit out of it, and was doing other damage in the process.

the skid is raised up higher than any other and has the radius which really prevents it from coming in contact with crap on the trail.

pics:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

That wont prove what you want it to prove.

You need an impact to show that it wont dent, a static load only proves that it will hold the weight of the Jeep. Dropping down hard on a rock is way more weight then the Jeep alone.

We intentionally tried and tried to hit this skid, and were only able to hit it a few times hard. There were no dents, only scrapes. I think the radius on the outside edge kept us from hitting it when otherwise we would have.

Tam
                  Last edited by JeepGal; 05-25-09, 02:17 PM.
                  2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                  Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

I will never take part in a pointless experiment. I will do this test only if you let me first place a 5 pound rock on your foot (to simulate your "test"), then to simulate my test I will throw that same rock at your foot as hard as I can. Deal?

Here's my pics:

Messed up cover trying to get to the skid:

"Damage" after beating the skid on purpose, this included backing the Jeep into rocks with speed! Notice the dents in the 3/16" steel diff cover in the pic above:

Last edited by Dukes69; 05-25-09, 01:38 PM.
                    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

If the skid can hold the weight of the jeep says alot especially with a small rock on the jack plate it would put more psi when jacked up on that given point. How often have you got both tires off the ground with your skid on a rock most likely one tire is always on the ground so not all the weight is on the skid. So without causing more damage to your diff I think it would be a good test ~2000#'s is alot of weight to hold up with 1 or 2 square inches.

Comment

If the skid can hold the weight of the jeep says alot especially with a small rock on the jack plate it would put more psi when jacked up on that given point. How often have you got both tires off the ground with your skid on a rock most likely one tire is always on the ground so not all the weight is on the skid. So without causing more damage to your diff I think it would be a good test ~2000#'s is alot of weight to hold up with 1 or 2 square inches.
                        You would first have to agree with my experiment above. The test you are offering is the same as the "hi-lift test" people use to show their rockers are strong. Its also the same as jumping up and down on the rock rail while exclaiming how solid the rockers are.

They prove nothing in the real world, kinda like an RTI ramp. My tests will be on the trail not in the driveway. I can tell you with 100% certainty that if the skid fails they will GIVE you a new one. In the meantime, your rig will weigh less and still protect the tank just as well as steel.
                        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Shoot me a PM and I'll reply back with my address so you can mail me the rock you'd like me to use. I can already tell that no matter what rock I pick out it won't satisfy you, so I'll let you pick.

You'll also have to tell me where you'd like me to place it under the skid to jack the rig up with.

Like most of us that use our rigs offroad, I'm more interested in trail performance, but if it will make you happy, I'll be more than glad to subject the skid to this test again. (you really didn't think the first thing I did after I finished and installed the prototype was something other than taking a floor jack to it, did you?)

So mail me the rock, get the Savvy Website up with the buy it button ready and I'll get the floor jack out again. Deal? When you're ready, I'll post the pic and you hit the buy button.
                          I am Savvy.

Comment

Now thats a put your money where your mouth is challenge!
                            IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

So Beau.....................

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                                Now thats a put your money where your mouth is challenge!
                                Not much of a challenge. As I stated, the first series of tests I put the prototypes through was with a big floor jack and both rear tires off the ground on a point about 1/4" in diameter to see if I could punch through the skid.

I made a small dent, that's it. Any rock big enough to not be crushed by the weight is a much easier test and one I'll be more than happy to do again.
                                I am Savvy.

Comment

Working...
                                X