Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: Savvy Aluminum TJ gas tank skid pics and comparisons

I have been lucky enough to beta test the Savvy Offroad gas tank skid on our 2002 TJ. We’ve been running the stock skid (with some 1/8” plate welded to the bottom) on our for 6 years. I’m very weight conscious when it comes to my rigs and this one is no exception. I’ve had a competitors skid in may garage for 6 months and I just couldn’t bring myself to install it, mainly because it weighs 61 pounds!!!

There are several innovations employed in this skid. The biggest and most significant is the use of Aluminum (3/16” thick 6061-T6). This helps the skid weigh in at 31.6 pounds (4 pounds more then a stock skid and 8 pounds LESS then our stock "beefed up skid") while still being every bit as strong as steel. Secondly, it’s adjustable to account for a 1 inch body lift. No more extra spacers to buy, just toss the skid on then when you get the BL, move the skid to the “raised position.” The tank straps have also been redesigned. Savvy uses a 2 piece, stainless steel, strap design that comes together and eliminates crushing the tank from over tightening the straps. This also allows the tank and skid to be pushed back as far as possible helping with trackbar and exhaust clearance. Of course it has a dimple for the fuel pump just like the stock skid. The kit comes with all new hardware, so no need to re-use your rusty, old stuff. Another key point is it ships in a 18x36x5 box weighing only 33 pounds (with box). This mean super low shipping costs, if you didn't take advantage of the current free shipping offer.

I’m impressed with the amount of thought, execution and completeness of the kit. Nothing has been overlooked and no corner has been cut. In a market that’s overly saturated with regurgitated, same ole products, this Savvy skid is a breath of fresh air.

Price is set at $269 with free shipping till June 1st, 2009.

Savvy Offroad

Tank installed in the skid.

Comparisons:

Stock Skid Weight (w/ 1/8" welded to the bottom):

Competitors 3/16 steel skid:

Savvy 3/16 aluminum skid:

Rear shot, stock:

Rear shot, Savvy:

Trackbar clearance, stock:

Trackbar clearance, Savvy:

Next update will be the results of our "testing."
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Chris that trackbar looks like it took a beating seeing how it's bowed. LOL
    2004 TJ X
    Callsign: KJ6DHG

Comment

Nice writeup with good pics. I can't wait to test mine on Pumpkin Eater next weekend.
      The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

that is a great looking skid. diggin' the aluminum.
        i dig through my tool bags to remove ounces of crap, and i could cut off 30 pounds on one swipe with one of these?!

now lets see it with some abuse on it.
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Eric by the look of things, you would be the ideal candidate to put some trail abuse on it

Comment

Sound like you really like this skid and it surely has the "Cool Factor" and if Dukes69 is excited about it then it's probably worth it (he knows what's good) plus I've been wanting to spend some money on the rig. Yeah, I'm in, my stock one has been good but is banged up a bit, I think the dimple is missing.

Would they consider a group buy from MJR? (Had to ask)

B&T TJ

Comment

Originally posted by ironbelle View Post
              Chris that trackbar looks like it took a beating seeing how it's bowed. LOL
              The trackbar has taken a beating. However, the bow is not from the stock skid, RE's trackbars have a bend there. Probably to keep it away from the skid.
              Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Black & Tan TJ View Post
                Sound like you really like this skid and it surely has the "Cool Factor" and if Dukes69 is excited about it then it's probably worth it (he knows what's good) plus I've been wanting to spend some money on the rig. Yeah, I'm in, my stock one has been good but is banged up a bit, I think the dimple is missing.

Would they consider a group buy from MJR? (Had to ask)

B&T TJ
                Hey Tom. You could try to give them a call about a group buy. Talk to Gerald, tell him I sent you. They would probably be more interested in one after the free shipping offer expires, as that is a nice discount in itself.

-Chris
                Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Chris ,

Thanks for the great write up!

The best deal is before June 1st. After that we can talk. We have already cut out the middle man in our pricing because we want to get our products out by being cost effective. Our skid is competitively priced with steel skids and the advantages it offers are many.

Get Savvy!

Gerald
                  http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                    Eric by the look of things, you would be the ideal candidate to put some trail abuse on it
                    thanks for the compliment (i think ) but it is not out yet for a yj, and mine isn't stock, so it would be a specialized skid.
                    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

id be interested in a yj one also

im slowly scrounging yj parts now that i have my old ladys running
                      [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

I already asked if a YJ skid was in the works. I don't think it is. Too bad. I would gladly rid myself of the heavy piece I have.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                          I already asked if a YJ skid was in the works. I don't think it is. Too bad. I would gladly rid myself of the heavy piece I have.
                          Heck yah! Getting rid of my heavy Warn skid would be great! I am constantly looking for ways to reduce the weight of my Jeep.
                          Money pit!

Comment

If i could lay off the fast food and get aa little exercise i could probably cut 30 lbs out of the drivers seat!

Comment

I want to order one but I need to see a trail test before I buy it. Hurry up and go beat it up on a tuff trail so we can see how it holds up.

Comment

Working...
                              X