Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What in the hell is that NOISE???

So I've got this noise that's coming from the front passenger wheel vicinity. It's a very distinct clunking/rattling noise and it occurs at slower speeds (<35) when I go over bumps, but not at highway speed. I had the noise before my lift and have gone thru the suspension/steering to ensure everything is tight. I thought it might be coming from the rocker, but I loosened and retightened them up and no change. It sounds like something is banging around . . . any ideas what it could be. I know it's a Jeep and will make some noise, I just don't want my wheel to fall off one of these days!!!
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Noise?...... What Noise?

You know, I don't have a TJ but I have a buddy that has an '06 Rubicon that has that same noise and he can't figure it out! He has gone thru it several times and hasn't found it either! The only thing he can figure is that it's the track bar binding a little, I know that is no help at all but just know that nothing has fallen off his Jeep yet!!! :dunno: Now some time ago, I had a definate clunking noise comming from under my YJ near the passenger side wheel well, that only happened when I hit the gas or was on a real bumpy road. Turns out that the 1st and 2nd bolts on the T-Case lowering kit had vibrated loose and it was spreading apart just enough to make it clunk back together.
    Last edited by avjeepfreek; 06-20-08, 07:59 PM.
    "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Originally posted by avjeepfreek View Post
      You know, I don't have a TJ but I have a buddy that has an '06 Rubicon that has that same noise and he can't figure it out! He has gone thru it several times and hasn't found it either! The only thing he can figure is that it's the track bar binding a little, I know that is no help at all but just know that nothing has fallen off his Jeep yet!!! :dunno: Now some time ago, I had a definate clunking noise comming from under my YJ near the passenger side wheel well, that only happened when I hit the gas or was on a real bumpy road. Turns out that the 1st and 2nd bolts on the T-Case lowering kit had vibrated loose and it was spreading apart just enough to make it clunk back together.
      I didn't lower the T-Case, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to check the bolts. Are you talking about the bolts that attach the belly skid to the frame rails? I was thinking it might be coming from the front track bar too. There's a tiny bit of play that I can feel in it on the passenger side . . . I'll try to tighten it up . . . it's such a pain though to get a wrench up in there to reach that back nut . . . I think the stock one had a welded tab which would be nice! Thanks for the input . . . glad to know I'm not the only one

Comment

Hey Joe!!
        I dont know what your noise is, but I have one that drives me crazy as well and maybe it is the same noise for you. Its my lower control arms. My lower control arms are adjustable, however they are not the kind with the outside thread and locking nut, they are inside threaded only. There is movement in the thread, a knock if you will. Took me a long time to finally discover it and it DRIVES ME CRAZY. Yup, I just have to replace em.
        see you out there soon.
        "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
        (Charles Wells)

Comment

Clicking that increases or decreases with speed could indicate that its time to clean and relube your ujoints

Tam
          2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
          Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Joe,
            I think every TJ owner has the same clunking noise. Mine's been doing it from day one. Sounds like it's coming from under the passenger seat, well, kind of. I have totally disassembled the Jeep more than once and have never found the culprit. I think Chrysler did it as a joke. Never caused any problems, but just to be sure better check everything you can think of. Next time we run together I'll let you drive mine for a while and see if it's the same thing. Does it on bumpy roads, and occasionally going over railroad tracks or bumps on paved roads. Other Tjs I've ridden in make the same noise.
            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
              I had the noise before my lift and have gone thru the suspension/steering to ensure everything is tight.
              i have no idea what it is but if there was a noise before you installed your lift, and you still have the same noise after you install your lift, logic would dictate to me that it is not a lift part but something you didn't replace when you put the lift on.

good luck.
              03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
                Joe,
                I think every TJ owner has the same clunking noise. Mine's been doing it from day one. Sounds like it's coming from under the passenger seat, well, kind of. I have totally disassembled the Jeep more than once and have never found the culprit. I think Chrysler did it as a joke. Never caused any problems, but just to be sure better check everything you can think of. Next time we run together I'll let you drive mine for a while and see if it's the same thing. Does it on bumpy roads, and occasionally going over railroad tracks or bumps on paved roads. Other Tjs I've ridden in make the same noise.
                Thanks Kurt . . . for a while there I was thinking the factory left a wrench behind the wheelwell just to mess with me

Comment

My bird Pauly

My jeep has acquired a noise that comes from the back of the tub somewhere. It only happens when I off road. It sounds like a little bird. I think I'm going to call him Pauli. My buddies TJ has an identical noise emanating from the same general area. He calls his bird Petei.
                  2006 Rubicon Unlimited
                  Lifted, Locked, and Armored for Rock

Comment

My windshield squeaks like a little chirping bird. Drives me nuts. If I push the top of the windshield forward while I drive, it goes away. Been thinking about adding limb risers to the rig just to keep the windshield in tension to make the chirp go away.
                    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

I've got a squirel named Paco that lives under the hood. Hopefully he'll find a new home next week after the new belt tensioner is installed!

Comment

Maybe your sway bar discos? I know mine are pretty noisy at slow speeds when they're connected.
                        "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

Originally posted by cmjrfan8 View Post
                          My jeep has acquired a noise that comes from the back of the tub somewhere. It only happens when I off road. It sounds like a little bird. I think I'm going to call him Pauli. My buddies TJ has an identical noise emanating from the same general area. He calls his bird Petei.
                          Don't suppose your little birds sound like a quick little mettallic schreenk-schrink, schreenk-schreenk, schriiink! whenever you go over any bumps off road? Only happens to mine on the passengers side rear wheel when I'm off road. At first I thought it was a broken spring at the upper spring mount. Nope, just a bit of rust scale pretending to be a cracked spring. My new mechanic, (Who's only going by my description) thinks it may be one of my track bars' end links. I hope so 'cuz I'm to afraid to take it off road nowdays for fear of breaking something expensive. Damn noise!
                          :wrench: IF IT'S STUCK, FORCE IT! IF IT BREAKS, IT NEEDED REPLACING ANYWAYS. :wrench:

Comment

Originally posted by 4xfiend View Post
                            Maybe your sway bar discos? I know mine are pretty noisy at slow speeds when they're connected.
                            You know the sway bar discos just might be the culprit as I don't usually notice the noise when I'm disconnected. I'll disconnect and drive on the bumpy street by my house where I always hear it. Might be the push I need to get rid of the swaybar all together and go with a TeraFlex or Currie set up.

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
                              My windshield squeaks like a little chirping bird. Drives me nuts. If I push the top of the windshield forward while I drive, it goes away. Been thinking about adding limb risers to the rig just to keep the windshield in tension to make the chirp go away.
                              Are you sure the bolts holding the windshield and cage together are tight? I think it uses a T35. I'm guessing the previous owner folded down your windshield at some point and those aren't tight. Also, when it is folded down, at the bottom part where the hinges are there are 2 rubber "pads" that sandwich the area to avoid squeaks. If you ever get too fed up, maybe check that all of those things are in place.
                              If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X