Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixin' the Damage

Alrighty then. I have stuff to fix:

I need to locate a rear brace for my soft top. Easy to install. Even I can do it in a few minutes. Anyone have an idea where to get one other than the dealership or Bestop? I didn't see any hardware for my Jeep on their website. I did leave them a message. Having such a new Jeep is going to leave me stuck with the dealer I am afraid.

The other things are the windshield, windshield frame and the piece the windshield and door hinge are attached to.

Any ideas on where to find them? I don't know which are the better junkyards or parts houses.

Top will come from Bestop later. I think I can get away with a duct tape job for now (better yet...gaffer's tape...like duct tape but in black...if I can find my roll).

I have to ask Santa for a hex set for Christmas, but I don't think it will happen...she already got my Christmas present.

I have to get this fixed before I can run again. The cracks in the windshield are small now but will grow if stressed (found that out with the Toyota - chip became a crack and grew fast).

Any suggestions about where to find these items? (And I am certain they are the only items I will need at this moment - nothing else seems bent or out of alignment).

Thank you very much. You guys are the best.

look around on E-bay, there is usually alot of parts/people parting Jeeps out. You might get lucky.
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Yep, goin' there...not much luck to be expected...the only problem with wrecking an 03 is that there are very few parts for sale used and the older model years don't fit.

Thanks

Comment

I would tell you of a few places to get some Jeep stuff, but since i can't link to other sites on MJR........ There are plenty of other Bulletin Boards out there, with plenty of people making mods and getting rid of parts. Ebay isn't the only source for used parts. Personally, I frequent 6 other Bulletin Boards, and occasionally hit a couple of others. J4M and JU are not included amongst them.

PM if you want to know some of them.

Erik

Comment

Originally posted by Trailbst
          I would tell you of a few places to get some Jeep stuff, but since i can't link to other sites on MJR........ There are plenty of other Bulletin Boards out there, with plenty of people making mods and getting rid of parts.
          erik, this is not entirely the case. i think you are taking this to the extreme -- PM me if you'd like so we don't take this thread off topic.
          :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Thanks gang! I have put out the word across the country and New Zealand (we have one guy from NZ on a board I moderate).

My guy at the dealership called and is working on a cheap way of getting the Jeep fixed. (I got the paternal "What am I going to do with you.") Mitch is a Jeeper before he's a dealer.

Comment

Originally posted by qwiksilver
              Yep, goin' there...not much luck to be expected...the only problem with wrecking an 03 is that there are very few parts for sale used and the older model years don't fit.

Thanks
              Windshield and tops should all be for 97-03. All tops I have seen are marked this way. That means the windshield will be the same. Dealer part #'s can be different for different years, even though the parts are the same.
              1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Softtop repair

I have heard that sailmakers repair the soft tops for not too much money, certainly much less than a replacement top. HTH

Sailmakers and Sail Repair in Southern California
                Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
                2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

crickett... get me part #s on Mopar stuff you need. My dad works at a Dodge dealership and can get parts at 10% over cost. (plus shiping ofcourse). let me know if I can help out.
                  myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Re: Softtop repair

Originally posted by jmbrowning
                    I have heard that sailmakers repair the soft tops for not too much money, certainly much less than a replacement top. HTH

Sailmakers and Sail Repair in Southern California
                    Duh! I am in Wilmington all the time now (best friend lives on a houseboat). Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
                      crickett... get me part #s on Mopar stuff you need. My dad works at a Dodge dealership and can get parts at 10% over cost. (plus shiping ofcourse). let me know if I can help out.
                      Thank You!

Mitch is working on getting me the part numbers. We are also going to have the Jeep looked at to make sure that the damage is what I think it is (I am pretty certain, but Jeeps are not 65 Mustangs).

Looks like it's time to hit Sears for tools.

Comment

More stuff to fix. While getting out of the Jeep I kept thinking about that door. Something wasn't adding up. I ran my hand over it very carefully. Top to bottom; side to side.

Yep, there is the slightest bend in the sheet metal. Not even visible. The mirror pushed it in.

I am going to take it to my office manager's husband and see what he thinks (he's the resto guy). It is so minute that if we can get the plastic off the door (thank god it's not a full door with glass), then a soft mallet and soft backing should tap it back to new.

For wheeling, I think I might invest in the doors Chris has. Undentable.

Comment

I'd do a mass :WANTED: post on the various Jeep forums, almost all of them have a "wanted/in search of" forum. You would be amazed at what people have laying around their garages.

Here are a few links to forums i frequent:

*edited by sarah*
                          if you'd like to link to something specific, that would be better.
                          Last edited by sarah; 12-09-03, 07:15 PM.
                          [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]1992 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

4.5" RE XD Suspension Lift
                          AA SYE/ Tom Woods Custom Driveshaft
                          15X8 Black Rock Crawler Rims
                          33X12.50 Goodyear MTR's
                          FlowMaster 40 Series Delta Cat-Back Exhaust
                          Cobra 29 Classic C-B Radio Tweaked & Peaked w/ 4' K40 Antenna
                          RE Hand Throttle
                          Optima Red Top
                          K&N Filter [/color]

Comment

*edited by sarah*
                            if you'd like to link to something specific, that would be better.
                            We aren't allowed to post links to other forums here? I don't see anything in the Rules about it.

I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything i just see no reason for the edit.

I didn't list anything specific because my suggestion was to place a "wanted" add, and including links to various forums to do so on was a logical step towards that.

:confused:
                            [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]1992 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

4.5" RE XD Suspension Lift
                            AA SYE/ Tom Woods Custom Driveshaft
                            15X8 Black Rock Crawler Rims
                            33X12.50 Goodyear MTR's
                            FlowMaster 40 Series Delta Cat-Back Exhaust
                            Cobra 29 Classic C-B Radio Tweaked & Peaked w/ 4' K40 Antenna
                            RE Hand Throttle
                            Optima Red Top
                            K&N Filter [/color]

Comment

i stated the reason for the edit.
                              check your PMs.
                              :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Working...
                              X