Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, just got back from the dealership. Mitch gave me the same lecture I got from my brother. (All the little mall boys stood around the Jeep in awe when they found out what happened - like I did something heroic instead of stupid. Go figure.)

Here are the totals for parts:

Windshield frame without glass: $754
    Windshield hinges: $139
    Soft Top Bow: $242

Impressing mall boys: Priceless

Also, I am in dialogue with a guy who has an eBay store (Jeepsareus). He has quoted me on a burgandy 03 frame with glass: $450

I am also looking at hinges for $30.

The bow has not been located yet. I did find a full frame for $50 (starting bid) but although it was advertised for the correct year...it doesn't look right in the photo.

This weekend: calls to local Jeep and 4x4 parts houses. And a perusal through the Recycler.

Also, I need to find someone with mallets. I need to get that door off and tap out that bend. Or get a new door.

He he...it's going to be fun wrestling that windshield up on to the Jeep.

Comment

sorry to hear that stuff is so expensive. I'll be happy to help when the install time comes. of course we need to find someone with a garage.
      myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
        sorry to hear that stuff is so expensive. I'll be happy to help when the install time comes. of course we need to find someone with a garage.
        Thanks.

I am trying to work with several people to bring that price down. Have a guy in Oklahoma working on one. I located another for $399. I am negotiating with my office manager's husband to find a body man to do the door. I am going to tear the door apart and get it ready for hammering as soon as I get word. Anyone Ron knows is an artist so I am not worried there.

I hope I can get some use out of my brother's garage in Fullerton.

Lesson here: Get soft doors for the trail. They don't dent and they keep you warm coming home. Metal half doors can start on eBay at $450. Bestop has soft half doors that I can hook my top halves to.

For you Brian, I would really recommend them. If I had had those full doors I would have had glass everywhere and more metal damage. Soft doors could save your full doors some wreckage. And if mine are $450 on eBay, imagine what yours are (shudder to think). Please, save yourself some grief.

Comment

or you could take them off.
          myJeeprocks.com

Comment

or you could take them off.
            Ha Ha! Things get a little "breezy" if you take too much off.

Comment

... :yay:
              myJeeprocks.com

Comment

... :yay:
                Now now...you're a big boy...that shouldn't shock you at all. You see worse on Ventura Blvd.

I just put in a bid for a full soft top frame. Looks like I may get it for under $100.

For luck!

Comment

Originally posted by qwiksilver
                  Now now...you're a big boy...that shouldn't shock you at all. You see worse on Ventura Blvd.
                  or better, depending how you look at it. :yay:
                  myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Whooo Hooo. A deal is in the works! for luck. I will have the windshield sometime before Christmas.

I will have to haul the windshield carefully because it has glass. First stop - body shop to get it painted (it's a burgandy 03). Next stop - my brother's place. He's got a garage, large driveway and tools. I hope we can get the kids to help. It is so fun to get the little ones involved.

I am thinking I can lean the windshield against the rollbar and tie it down. Well padded, of course. I can take surface streets to Fullerton just to cut down on bouncing and wind resistance. What do you think? I just hope it fits between the pods on the rollbar. Or I might have to do some unhooking...I hope I can unhook those pods. Anyone ever do that? Oh dear...2003 was the year they went to individual pods instead of the bar. Well, I get to be the guinea pig if they have to come down.

The other option is running between the seats. But I don't think it will fit that way.

Another instance of "How Much Can You Haul In A Jeep?"

Thanks for hanging in there with me. Moral support is just as important as material.

Comment

Crickett -

I'm glad to see that you were able to get the parts together to get your Jeep fixed.

Forget about impressing "mall boys". I think everyone there was impressed with how well you handled the rolling of Blackjack, I know I was! I would be furious with myself if I rolled mine. (Yeah, it's still only a matter of time).

Again, nice meeting you all out there. It is nice to see a close knit group of wheelers like you guys!

Josh
                      Red Cherokee #2

Comment

Originally posted by twcguy
                        Crickett -

I'm glad to see that you were able to get the parts together to get your Jeep fixed.

Forget about impressing "mall boys". I think everyone there was impressed with how well you handled the rolling of Blackjack, I know I was! I would be furious with myself if I rolled mine. (Yeah, it's still only a matter of time).

Again, nice meeting you all out there. It is nice to see a close knit group of wheelers like you guys!

Josh
                        Red Cherokee #2
                        Listen, I wanted to cry. As I was shutting off the Jeep and just about to burst into tears I thought "Oh god, don't upset everyone. Don't cry." From there the only thing I could do was laugh. Really, there wasn't anything that could be done. Ah well, laughter is the best medicine.

Remember, when you roll it, it took an extrordinary set of circumstances to get in that position, and as long as you are not hurt, it's really quite a feat. You deserve a good belly laugh.

Just try not to think of your bank account.

Comment

Crickett--
                          I have good contacts with jeep parts dealers [wholesale] and aftermarket stuff at wholesale also for the stuff you may still need. Let me know if I can help.
                          Chris L
                          ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
                          00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
                          97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

Comment

Originally posted by qwiksilver
                            "How Much Can You Haul In A Jeep?"

quite a bit, with the right Jeep

i might even be persuaded to paint it for you, if you buy the paint (i still have some activator in my garage).

Comment

Thanks gang...

I think I found a guy to do the paint over by my office. He has Mopar paint. We are negotiating price.

I don't want to haul the piece around too much. I am afraid of breaking the glass.

Comment

Argh! Help! I got the frame for the top and now have a problem separating two of the frame pieces. There is a webbing that is attached by means of brads instead of screws or some other fastener that makes sense. Has anyone had to replace a soft top piece on a TJ before? I have to use just the rear bow or take the header off because the 97-02 has a different header than the 03.

HELP! Whaaaaa!

Comment

Working...
                                X