Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Lawrence . . . I don't have that tool . . . would probably be a good thing for me to acquire . . . are they pretty cheap? I was just at Shaver today . . . new belt tensioner . . . seems to have taken care of the squeek, but we'll see. Are there plugs that are better than others or should I just get whatever the dealership has? Do you get your air filters at the dealership? If not what brand do you use as I'd heard complaints about the Fram and others being either poor quality or not fitting properly allowing dirt to bypass the filter entirely.
    Last edited by Schmo; 06-24-08, 07:09 PM.
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
      Hey Lawrence . . . I don't have that tool . . . would probably be a good thing for me to acquire . . . are they pretty cheap?
      They're less than $2.00 and look like this

I was just at Shaver today . . . new belt tensioner . . . seems to have taken care of the squeek, but we'll see. Are there plugs that are better than others or should I just get whatever the dealership has?
      I wrote down the part # from the sticker under the hood and bought the plugs from Shaver, since I was already there for something else. They are made by NGK and you can probably get them at your local auto parts store if you prefer.

Do you get your air filters at the dealership? If not what brand do you use as I'd heard complaints about the Fram and others being either poor quality or not fitting properly allowing dirt to bypass the filter entirely.
      I use Fram filters, never had a problem. I just bought a new one on Friday as I was towing my camper up to Big Bear for a weekend of wheeling. It fits nicely, no gaps.
      [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

I am not a huge fan of the Stealership guys, but they will do the oil change for less than Jiffy or Grease... it's like $20-

And just for those that don't know, trial and err has learned me that when you go to the stealership, you allways need to get some sort service done. What I mean is that if you go because you have an error code or check engine light and you want them to "diagnose" they will charge $100- to do so, if that is all you do. if you go and say "I want an oil change and lube up the chassis, oh and by the way, the check engine light is on... WTF?..." then they will do the service and check that code as "part of the service" and not charge extra for it.

Then if you want them to fix it you can, which will cost more, but since you allready had service, that $20- oil change is all you need to pay.

But if you go and diagnose and don't fix it, they will charge that $100- just for telling you yer muffler bearing is stripped or yer blinker fluid is low, and the only way to fix it requires a dealer only tool.

So, although I am a hater of V.V. motors, I do sip their starbucks while they do my oil changes on my 4WD computer that I like to call a 2000 WJ....
        :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Paco is back!

Well after spending 2 days at the dealership and having a new Belt Tensioner installed, the squeaking persists. It sounds like it’s coming from the belt area. I’d had the Idle Pulley replaces about 6-8K ago after having a similar noise, and the noise went away. Any ideas on what could be the culprit so I can have the dealership look into it? I took one of the mechanics for a drive so he could hear the squeak and he mentioned that there were a few things it could be like the tensioner, but also mentioned the water pump. I’m a bit stressed as I’ve got a trip planned for the 4th and don’t want to be stuck on the side of the road if something gives.
          That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

well i just changed to brakes in the jeep and i forgot one very important part, brake fluid!! and i really dont want to take the 25 minutes to walk to the store so now i have to wait for my brother to get home so i can steal his pretty new(to him) jeep. so yeah. also very important on routine maint is getting all the parts, etc. but then again having no brakes is pretty fun to!
            :devil: Giffer

Comment

Sealed u-joints

I've got an 06 as well but a TJ . . . would my U-Joints also be sealed? As far as the transfer case and trans . . . sounds like it's about time for me to do these soon . . . is this a simple DIY type of job or a major undertaking?
              I have been crawlin' underneath my 05 wrangler X for a couple of days doing a 4.5 R.E. lift, my u-joints are all sealed, no place to grease, will probably change those out, as money and time, money, permits to greaseable ones, and try to keep tho old ones for replacements on the trail.

Transfer case and diffs are not that hard to change.
              A great website for almost anything to be done yourself is.........4x4xplor.com He works on a 2000 tj, but most of the writeups can be used for your 06. I have found this site invaluable, as the directions on the lift stated take this, and this, and this off, then install this, and this,etc. This site gave me good info and also other jeepers very valuable knowledge. You will be able to do the majority of the work ypursel, you already have the desire, that is 90% of the fight. Good luck, keep us informed

Comment

Working...
              X