Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bending happens, it's the breaking you gotta look out for.
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by cjdirtbiker
      Thank you. If it works, what's the problem with it?

My JJ's are squeaky though, anyone know why? They are hard to get grease into. I bent a lower arm on the 'con this year, Currie tie rod too. Just slightly, but a little nonetheless.
      Yes, I know why they squeak and so do you. They have no grease in them. Figure out why and fix it.
      I am Savvy.

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine
        Yes, I know why they squeak and so do you. They have no grease in them. Figure out why and fix it.
        Any suggestions other than breaking them down? They are just tight enough that the rings won't go back on by hand, they need a press. I took one apart and had to take it down to Currie to have it put back together. They have some kind of press tool.
        Thanks!

Comment

Out of curiosity, how many Johnny Joints have you seen with a blown out snap ring?
          personally, none. Heard others in the group complain about their johnny joints failing, 2.
          olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Originally posted by goodtimes
            personally, none. Heard others in the group complain about their johnny joints failing, 2.

Were they actually Johnny Joints from Currie or any of the myriad of knock-offs out there?

The reason I ask is because I know for a fact that a 2.5" JJ installed correctly is capable of handling all of the side load duties required to locate an axle under a competition rig that is big, heavy, and rolled frequently without ever popping out the snap ring.

I also know why it can do it and others can't. John made the urethane races tight enough to have to be pressed into the barrel and done so with no grease makes it impossible for the snap ring to ever see any loads other than retaining the race. As it loads sideways the ball pushes into the urethane and swells it slightly against the barrel basically locking it in place and saving the snap ring.
            I am Savvy.

Comment

Were they actually Johnny Joints from Currie or any of the myriad of knock-offs out there?
              It is possible they were knock-offs, I never asked.
              olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

I have not been able to break mine up front upper arms, I am just looking for a strong flexable joint for building a set of arms around...
                That's a BIG rock!

Comment

Working...
                X