Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self teaching welding 101

So I'm practicing welding.

Last edited by paulhead; 08-17-05, 09:23 PM.
    “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
    -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Best thing I ever did was take a $75 dollar class at the local adult school.
    1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn
      I've been looking for something like that close to home. . . no luck so far.

Comment

Is that a hint about the quality of my bead?

Comment

Originally posted by paulhead
          Is that a hint about the quality of my bead?
          Nope. But there is nothing better than getting taught by a professional. Everybody does bugger welds when they start out.
          1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

a little slower.
            a little more heat
            and angle the tip into the direction you are going, and let it pool slightly.
            tiny swirls or "C"s as you move.

my old man taught me.
            thats my nickel
            CB

PS, i been lookin for someone with a welder, i need to do some fab work, would gladly give ya some tips
            Tires, Gears, Armor, what else do I need for the Hammers?

Comment

Why not?

Comment

Paul

actually, I am getting ready to buy one, found a sweet deal at good ole harbor freight. (i know, i know, chinese junk, but as long as ya put a better power cord on it b4 the first use, its not all crap)

the one you have/use now, flux core or bottle???

I learned on the bottle that my pop has, but I'm gettin ready to get a flux core. there are schools that root for each, each has its pros and cons.

finally, when ya wanna get together?
                I notice youre in long beach, funny, i just moved outta LB a few months ago. so, i'm familiar with the area.

lemme know
                Chris.
                Tires, Gears, Armor, what else do I need for the Hammers?

Comment

I finally got weekends off, friggin' stoked. I wanna' weld some frame tie in's to my cage, I'll let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by CB87YJ
                    a little slower.
                    a little more heat
                    and angle the tip into the direction you are going, and let it pool slightly.
                    tiny swirls or "C"s as you move.

my old man taught me.
                    thats my nickel
                    CB

PS, i been lookin for someone with a welder, i need to do some fab work, would gladly give ya some tips
                    More voltage or less wire speed.

Practice 45-45, as in 45 degrees tilted point at the puddle and opposite the direction you are welding. Basically hold a 45 degree angle and point at the direction you came from. Also hold 45 degrees if you are welding a fillet at the base of a 90 degree joint.

No need to let it puddle, if your wire speed, travel rate and voltage are correct, the puddle will travel with you.

Sound is a good indicator. If you stay in the puddle too long, it sound like water dropped in hot grease. Speed up until you get a smooth crackle.

Do not do any swirls, letters of the alphabet, or any other tip gymnastics until you can run a smooth bead.

Finally, a 30 minute lesson at my house will set you down the path much faster than burning wire by yourself.

here is a pic- no swirls, no C's, no U's, just a straight 45-45 pull weld

I am Savvy.

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine
                      Finally, a 30 minute lesson at my house will set you down the path much faster than burning wire by yourself.
                      I think I may be just about ready for that lesson.
                      myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Then the worst thing I did after taking that class was not follow through with it. Wish I would have. Now I just find people I know or pay for it.

Comment

Thanx for the advice mrblaine, very straight forward. Might take you up on that 30min lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine
                            More voltage or less wire speed.

Practice 45-45, as in 45 degrees tilted point at the puddle and opposite the direction you are welding. Basically hold a 45 degree angle and point at the direction you came from. Also hold 45 degrees if you are welding a fillet at the base of a 90 degree joint.

No need to let it puddle, if your wire speed, travel rate and voltage are correct, the puddle will travel with you.

Sound is a good indicator. If you stay in the puddle too long, it sound like water dropped in hot grease. Speed up until you get a smooth crackle.

Do not do any swirls, letters of the alphabet, or any other tip gymnastics until you can run a smooth bead.

here is a pic- no swirls, no C's, no U's, just a straight 45-45 pull weld

Whats your opinion on on board welders such as Premier? Dont weld for profession but even though this unit well get me out of trouble not happy with weld.
                            97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                            WEB site

Comment

Originally posted by Britain
                              Whats your opinion on on board welders such as Premier? Dont weld for profession but even though this unit well get me out of trouble not happy with weld.

Personally, I wouldn't own or install any underhood welder that requires the use of electrodes, even if you gave me one.

Most folks are barely proficient in the garage with a MIG welder. Then you need to use one on the trail where conditions are never ideal. It's windy, out of position, metal is dirty, oily and generally a giant PITA. Conditions that make stick welding something only a well qualified stick weldor could pull off on a consistent basis.

That makes a Ready Welder with flux core wire a perfect choice for a trail welder. Economical, easy to use, fast, effective and forgiving. That would be and is my choice.
                              I am Savvy.

Comment

Working...
                              X