Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
    I didn't clean it every trip so maybe that was my problem. But why have a filter that adds extra maintenance? I'd rather throw a regular old paper filter in there once a year for $10 than spend money on cleaner/oil and have to spend 15 minutes cleaning the filter after every run.
    That's why I love America. You can do whatever you want!
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
      My Pick-A-Part search seems to have been successful this time. I found a washer fluid tank that I think will work. I pulled it off of a Saturn. I am hoping to mount it on the firewall above the throttle cable (it is resting on the throttle cable in this pic):

Even though it has a perfectly shaped divot next to the Hydroboost high pressure input fitting, I don't want to mount it until I make sure that all of the power steering lines fit around it.

So, I called RAT (Kurt) and got some help with how the fittings and the fluid system works. He also helped with other connection issues that I had with the AC system. Thanks RAT!!

Tonight, armed with new knowledge, I measured out the length of hose that I will need and the number and type of field-serviceable fittings that I will need to buy. I also worked out the length and style of fittings that I will need for the AC system.

I bought my PSC Steering box from Trailabite and he included the hoses to the ram-assist. I wanted to make sure that they would work with my set up so I connected the hoses to the ram and took the axle through the articulation limits.

Everything was working well at first. I especially was happy with the upper clearance of the ram fittings at full bump on both sides:

Unfortunately, the fittings on the ram hoses at the steering box are not going to work with my set up. At full bump, it pinches one of the hoses. It should be easy enough to fix by changing out the fittings at the gearbox. Luckily for me, Trailabite used field-serviceable fittings, so I can trade them out. Thanks Chuck!

I hope to find time this week to stop by a Hose-Man location and get the parts and hoses that I need.
      C and J on Sultana south of Mission is a good source for most all your fittings you are going to need. They can make you up some hoses also

Comment

• Originally posted by RAT View Post
        That's why I love America. You can do whatever you want!
        :gun:
        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

• Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
          :gun:
          Actually I was going to say "I'M A GROWNED ASS MAN, I DO WHAT I WANT"!...

Comment

Actually I was going to say "I'M A GROWNED ASS MAN, I DO WHAT I WANT"!...
            LOL, you still can!
            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

• Let me know when he grows up.

Comment

• Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                C and J on Sultana south of Mission is a good source for most all your fittings you are going to need. They can make you up some hoses also
                Damn. I wish that I had seen this before I went to Hose-Man in Ontario. It was $550 for all of the stuff that I need for the Power Steering and the AC hoses! :poop:! That kills a lot of my savings that I had been racking up against my budget. Field-serviceable hose fittings are NOT cheap! I may return some of the ones that I got for the low pressure lines and use cheaper stuff from Home Depot if I can find something that will work.

I was also surprised by the cost of the AC hoses. A 12 inch hose cost me $47! I am in the Wrong business.

Regardless, I have them now..... I got the hoses from the gearbox to the ram worked out tonight. I only need to add some minor amount of "rub guard" in a couple of places and I should be set for now.

I took Chuck's recommendation and the dust cover for the air filter showed up yesterday.
                [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                [/COLOR]

Comment

• Any new updates?
                  [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

• Originally posted by dr.dirty View Post
                    Any new updates?
                    Yes. He sold it and bought a Prius.

Comment

Yes. He sold it and bought a Prius.
                      Hell, I'm ready to! They are cheaper and you can get them in 4-wheel drive (well, AWD).

I keep thinking that I should update this thread and I take photos, but I never seem to take time away from working on the Jeep to actually post. So I'm going to give the highlights since I last updated using the pics that I took. More stuff has been accomplished, but here are some highlights...

I made a bracket for the washer fluid tank that can be removed if I ever want to pull the motor for any reason:

The tank mounts securely and the Saturn pump works when tested. The power steering hoses work with the shape of the tank like it was made for it:

I worked out all of the power steering hoses. I had a the small C-shaped tube made to allow for the hoses to line up the way that I needed:

I'm very happy with the way that the air intake and filter worked out. I was able to take advantage of the existing cable mount bracket on the valve cover to make a support for the tube:

Aero Tanks in San Bernardino started a custom gas tank for me that I was asked to dry fit before the welds were finalized:

I had to make some small changes to the mounting plan, but the tank fits like a dream so I sent it back to be welded up:

Because of the pulleys and the shock mount cross member, I had some challenges getting the upper radiator hose to work. A couple of stainless pipe pieces that I got from Summit Racing had to be welded together to make the connection:

Ahole Fab came to rescue since I can't weld stainless and got the tube sealed up nicely! The tube and the temp gauge for the 2-speed fan finally are in place:

Everything clears with the shock mount cross member in place, so I'm happy with it:

With everything under the hood back in (hopefully) working order, I put the shock reservoirs in place and added the temporary springs that Ryan (Hook and Ladder) let me borrow. I also reworked the front brake lines so that they run down the UCA and tied them into the calipers then I connected the air locker line and diff vent tube:

That pretty much finishes up the front suspension except for limiting straps, so I turned my attention to the remaining items on the rear. I added the Currie AntiRock that I got through RAM Offroad and made shock reservoir mounts:

Next the air bumps were welded into place along with the stop plates on the axle:

Aero Tanks finished the gas tank and it fits beautifully:

The design allows for the rear seat to still be used without interference and it gives me 19 gallons of fuel:

I have the brake lines ran to the top of the rear axle. I need to put in the steel lines to the calipers after I make a mount for the flex hose to attach to.

I also have the fuel tank vent line in place, and I have the fuel line fitted to the frame but still need to get the hose through the tub and to the pump. Same thing needs to be done with the pump wiring.

I'm planning to add a brace from the rear diff cover to the truss that Art recommended. I cut the plates for the bracket tonight.

I need to install the exhaust pipe soon so that I can crank this thing and see if my efforts have worked!
                      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                      [/COLOR]

Comment

• Nice! you have been busy.
                        [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

• [COLOR="#800000"]Looking real good Mike![/COLOR]
                          [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                          Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

• Sweet Mike. Jake did a great job on the tank. Mr. Green is comin together nicely.

Comment

• I like the solution to that upper rad hose. I think I need to do something similar with mine in the Willys. The thermostat output from the motor and the inlet on the radiator are just to close together, and not at a good angle. I've been concerned about it, but it's been holding. Seeing that tube gives me an idea, maybe even a steel plumbers trap might work

Did you paint the inside of the tube, or leave it bare metal?
                              [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                              www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

• Nice progress, when are we going wheelin?

Comment

Working...
                                X