Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
    [COLOR="#800000"]Oh what fresh hell is this? Was there some new smog law snuck into the books?

Actually, I think it's more likely you're dealing with a couple of boobs at these smog stations.[/COLOR]
    I'm still researching it but I found this on the website of the manufacture of the elbow.
    In order for an intake to be considered for a C.A.R.B. exemption, it must have been submitted to the California Air Resources Board for evaluation. It must be a complete kit, with everything needed to install it included in the box. It must have provisions to connect all emission control devices so that they function as they did with the factory intake. Lastly, it must be tested on a vehicle to show that it doesn't alter the emission output of the vehicle.
    If your vehicle has a custom intake that was created using our modular components, although it may run great & increase performance, it will not be C.A.R.B. exempt even if you connect all emission control devices. If you live in an area that requires a smog inspection, such an intake will fail the visual inspection portion of the test. In order to pass, the stock intake must be reinstalled.
    Check out .

Comment

• [COLOR="#800000"]What a pain in the junk... boy they sure to make it difficult to improve the engine in your vehicle huh? Even though the 4.3 is probably WAY cleaner than the stock engine you replaced, you're just supposed to buy a new Jeep I guess.[/COLOR]
      [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
      Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

• Chuck, It's an easy fix. You have a few choices:

1. Go to another smog shop (there is one near me in Gardena that passed my Jeep with custom intake)
        2. There are a few small one stall exhaust shops cash only type places (I know of one in Torrance) that just take those CARB stickers on put them on the intake pipe for you for a small fee.
        3. I also know of a smog shop that for 250.00 you pass smog no matter what.
        4. go buy another intake.

Good luck

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
          Need to rant a little. This weekend I went to smog the Jeep as I have done every 2 years since the swap in 2007. DMV says I must go to a STAR smog station. I take the Jeep down and these two Asian guys come out both looking like deer in Ryan's headlights and say they don't know how to smog the Jeep. Are you kidding me? I then go to another station and the guy tells me he can't do the smog because I don't have a CARB sticker on the elbow on my air intake. Are you kidding me? This has never been an issue in the past and I have always passed. If it runs clean and passes the tests what the hell difference does it make how I route the air intake? :bonk::rant off:

This is what it looks like.
          I've seen a lot of post lately where smog places are asking to see that the air intake have the sticker attached. If thats the reason they won't pass your jeep you can probably call the intake manufacturer and ask for the CARB Sticker. This smog shops are getting to be annoying with the people they hire.

Comment

• Get a approved intake make it, get it smogged, then revert to original setup

Comment

• Originally posted by vwtipeii View Post
              Chuck, It's an easy fix. You have a few choices:

1. Go to another smog shop (there is one near me in Gardena that passed my Jeep with custom intake)
              2. There are a few small one stall exhaust shops cash only type places (I know of one in Torrance) that just take those CARB stickers on put them on the intake pipe for you for a small fee.
              3. I also know of a smog shop that for 250.00 you pass smog no matter what.
              4. go buy another intake.

Good luck
              Thanks Brett. I'm already looking for another shop to go to. I'm also going to try to get the stock elbow back on just for the visual. They don't care about the filter. As for the CARB sticker you can't get one for "custom" intake. It's a fitment thing. Not a lot a room because of the master cylinder.
              Check out .

Comment

• Originally posted by minisaba View Post
                I've seen a lot of post lately where smog places are asking to see that the air intake have the sticker attached. If thats the reason they won't pass your jeep you can probably call the intake manufacturer and ask for the CARB Sticker. This smog shops are getting to be annoying with the people they hire.
                Tried that. See below. I made the intake. I'm limited on room because of the master cylinder.

If your vehicle has a custom intake that was created using our modular components, although it may run great & increase performance, it will not be C.A.R.B. exempt even if you connect all emission control devices. If you live in an area that requires a smog inspection, such an intake will fail the visual inspection portion of the test. In order to pass, the stock intake must be reinstalled.
                Check out .

Comment

• Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                  Get a approved intake make it, get it smogged, then revert to original setup
                  That's the plan but I have to shoehorn it in.
                  Check out .

Comment

• As long as the ARB number or decal is visible and it looks like a stock install, it shouldn't be a problem

Comment

• I used to deal with a shop that would pass me fairly easily. Even after I had put the MOPAR kit on my CJ7. When they went to the dyno test some years ago he told me he would no longer fool around. It was too costly a fine to get caught. At that time we just input that it was still a carb engine. We did it legal and it always passed. I used all of the parts in the kit and it came with the CARB sticker. I really don't blame the shops for doing what the law says.
                      Rich

Comment

• Originally posted by Ol Man View Post
                        I used to deal with a shop that would pass me fairly easily. Even after I had put the MOPAR kit on my CJ7. When they went to the dyno test some years ago he told me he would no longer fool around. It was too costly a fine to get caught. At that time we just input that it was still a carb engine. We did it legal and it always passed. I used all of the parts in the kit and it came with the CARB sticker. I really don't blame the shops for doing what the law says.
                        Me neither. The first guys were just inexperienced. The second one was just following the law as he should. I do blame the communist state of California.
                        Check out .

Comment

• A friend of mine bought a K&N setup and put the decal on his set-up. After he passed he took it back for a refund.
                          IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

• I got a stock intake hose that I'm going to somehow squeeze in for the visual. I spoke to another shop yesterday and I think I'm going to be ok after speaking to him.
                            Check out .

Comment

• Well, I'm good for 2 more years. Past smog. :smile:

On the last trip out I blew another Warn locking hub. That was the 4th and last time that will happen. I'm switching to the Yukon hubs. With Chrome-Moly internals strength shouldn't be an issue. They also only require 1/3 turn and have a smaller profile than the Warns. It took a little longer and was much messier to install then the Warns but I'll take that over strength. If there anything like the super joints I got no more worries. I'll post up after a few runs on the performance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hardcore-Locking-Hub-B.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	358263
                              Check out .

Comment

• Looking forward to seeing how it comes out for you Chuck!

Comment

Working...
                                X