Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear axle upgrade

going to upgrade the rear axle. i'm keeping the 3.73 gears and 31-32" tires for quite a while. i will be putting an ARB locker in the axle. it's been recommended to me to polish the turd (dana 35) as the ARB and 31 spline shafts are much stronger than the stock parts and should do the trick as long as i stay at 31's or 32's.

the only thing i want to know is: has anyone ever broken a super 35 kit running 33" or smaller tires?

i've already done hours and hours of reading and had several discussions with different people about this particular upgrade and i'm pretty confident that it is OK for my application, so anything you tell me other than if you broke an axle or not i've probably heard already.

just because i know everyone will want to vote anyway i've added a poll for what you all think i should put under the rear end of my jeep.

cheers,
    super 35 kit
    11.54%
    dana 44
    50.00%
    ford 8.8
    38.46%
    03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Since you have an auto trans and will stay w/33's or less upgrading your D35 is probably your best bet and use of funds. Many run this set-up w/o problems.

Cheers, B&T TJ

Comment

a super 35 kit is a expensive joke if you are going to spend all that money might as well buy a 44.

Comment

I voted for the Ford 8.8 since you didn't add the Ford 9" as an option. Even axle has C-clips like the Dana 35-the strength vs. cost and parts availability make it compelling option. You can get all of the needed mounting hardware from M.O.R.E.

Unless you find a junkyard axle in good shape, the Dana 44's are getting exspensive to buy. But, they are a good strength to weight option.

There are so many options out there.......
        Money pit!

Comment

Why waste the money into a D35? Your just going to eventually upgrade. That $1000 for the super 35 can get you really close to a decent built 44 or 8.8. Spend the money once and do it right.
          |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
            Why waste the money into a D35? Your just going to eventually upgrade. That $1000 for the super 35 can get you really close to a decent built 44 or 8.8. Spend the money once and do it right.
            if i ever run 33's or larger it will be a serious commitment and i will need a new lift, new axles, bigger brakes, heavy duty steering, the purchase cost of the larger tires, etc. etc. so the vehicle will already require at least 4K in upgrades at that point anyway...so i'd rather look at it as temporarily saving some money rather than wasting money

Comment

if it were me, I'd look into the iron housing currie rj 60s. course, that's just me. IMHO, anything low pinion rear is a waste of money. :2:

how long did it take for you to change from "we don't need no stinkin' lockers..." to "I'm gettin an arb..."? the future upgrades will come just as quick. you may not have money now for all the fancy toys, but if you grow up into a responsible adult, with a job, the money will come. :2: more
              myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Holy smokes!

Hey, you are gonna do gears with the ARB anyways right? so I'd go with a junkyard ford 9 or the 8.8 with disc brakes... the super 35 is good, but it doesnt eliminate the other problems the 35 has like spinning the pignose on the axletubes or leaking front seals... and you still end up with c-clips so if you do break you are screwed...

the c-clips alone are reason to ditch the 35.

FYI... I've got a 44 in my backyard, $350- and its yours.
                :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ View Post
                  how long did it take for you to change from "we don't need no stinkin' lockers..." to "I'm gettin an arb..."? the future upgrades will come just as quick. you may not have money now for all the fancy toys, but if you grow up into a responsible adult, with a job, the money will come. :2: more

Hmmmmmmmm......now I understand.

Is this your daily driver?
                  Money pit!

Comment

talk to Desert Jewel about wheeling a daily driver...

When she shattered her rear axle (on her stock 35) she was as green as her jeep for about 5 min, and then we swapped it out right there on the trail...

we could have driven the thing to camp if she didn't have that c-clip axle
                    :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

how long did it take for you to change from "we don't need no stinkin' lockers..." to "I'm gettin an arb..."?
                      2 years, so at this rate i figure it'll be at least 2 years more before i change the "i want to keep the 31's and 2.5" lift" argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
                        FYI... I've got a 44 in my backyard, $350- and its yours.
                        PM sent.
                        Last edited by maddmike; 10-02-07, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pdw View Post
                          Hmmmmmmmm......now I understand.

Is this your daily driver?
                          nope, but still gets driven to the desert(and driven back, most of the time)
                          myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

if it were me, I'd look into the iron housing currie rj 60s. course, that's just me. IMHO, anything low pinion rear is a waste of money. :2:

i have to agree after doing mine so many times. it would have been cheaper to just get into the big junk right off the bat
                            rock jock 60's here i come
                            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
                              rock jock 60's here i come

$12,000 + KA-BLAMMMM! :bonk:
                              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                              X