Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are 33 inch tires too much for my 2.4 L?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are 33 inch tires too much for my 2.4 L?

Does anyone know if 33 inch tires are ok to put on a 2.4L Wrangler? I was worried about loosing power. I have stock 3.73 gears.

you will lose a bit of power while climbing hills.

Originally posted by Kenohus85 View Post
    Does anyone know if 33 inch tires are ok to put on a 2.4L Wrangler? I was worried about loosing power. I have stock 3.73 gears.

Comment

Well I'm running 4:56 w/33's 4.0 I6 manual trans, it's like stock again. I ran 31's w/stock 3:73 and noticed a slight difference. On the street you'd probably lose 5 gear unless your going down hill. See if you can try a set before you commit or just be prepared to regear the diffs. I've seen 4 bangers do very well when set-up nicely.

B&T TJ

Comment

Does anyone know what size diff i should use. I heard maybe 4.10 or 4.56. With those gears would I be redlining at 70 mph?

Comment

Seems a bit steep for 33's on 4.10's, might want to go 4.56/4.88. IIRC, the Mighty Mutant Hampster Motor likes to make it's power up in the RPM band a bit

Go here:

http://www.ring-pinion.com/Calc_RPM.aspx

Use the top calculator, enter 32" for 33's (33 inch tires are NOT 33" in true rolling radius!)
          Last edited by Old Fart; 01-29-07, 03:55 PM.
          Jeff
          OHV76V
          KG6TY
          You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

I was running 32" tires on 4.10 gears and it bogged down a little but it handled it ok. I replaced my gears to a 4.88 and with the same times it was a phenomenal difference. I'm going to stay at a 33" tire but it could easily handle 35's with 4.88. Had I to redo again I'd probably go with 4.56.

Comment

A lot of it depends on where you wheel, and what you have to go through to get there.

I have 4.10's, they were _pretty_ good with the 33's I ran, marginal with the 35's (5th was rarely used) and now with 37x13.50's, 5th is just a memory. I'll be going to 5.38's, but bear in mind my rig is heavy, the 37's and beadlocks are heavy, and pretty much everywhere I go you have to drive up a hill from sea level to 6000' plus to wheel. And - it's not my daily driver anymore.

Gotta sell my Klune and a few other driveline components first
              Jeff
              OHV76V
              KG6TY
              You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

wranglers with 2.4 liter 4 bangers came with 4.10 gears
                running 33s will require 4.88s for plenty of zip. will not be able to pull a trailer to big bear any faster than 45 mph, but will suffice.
                I pull my camping trailer down to Anza Borrego at 65 with 33s and 4.88s
                censored for having an opinion

Comment

Originally posted by blackZZR View Post
                  running 33s will require 4.88s for plenty of zip. will not be able to pull a trailer to big bear any faster than 45 mph, but will suffice.
                  that is what i thought stock was 4.10 for 4 bangers.. my dad is runnin 32s on his stock gearing and it does pretty good.. dont use 5th gear much.. but oh well.. you migh want to go to 4.88s..
                  therockgods.com 1.)1989 YJ SPOA 38s(possilby for sale)2.)1991 Cherokee DD 3.)1975 International Truggy in progress...

Comment

true 33s

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
                    Seems a bit steep for 33's on 4.10's, might want to go 4.56/4.88. IIRC, the Mighty Mutant Hampster Motor likes to make it's power up in the RPM band a bit

Go here:

http://www.ring-pinion.com/Calc_RPM.aspx

Use the top calculator, enter 32" for 33's (33 inch tires are NOT 33" in true rolling radius!)
                    Good point, if he has overdrive then steeper gears like 4.88 might not be bad. Hell i ran 35s and the stock 3.73s for about 2 years before i finally re-gear to 4.56 But that was with the 4.0 motor and a 3 speed direct drive automatic. It had some real long legs on the freeway and i miss that.....M
                    "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Running 33 with 48 is great!!! I run on 35 / 48, I can get up the mountain (6000 ft) up here in 3rd gear at 4000rpm and be doing between 50/55 to the top. It also does great on the trail but don't air down to under 15psi when in the rock's for I found out that 10psi the axle will break.
                      Last edited by sarah; 03-04-07, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackZZR View Post
                        The 5 spds come with 4.10, but the auto comes with 3.73.
                        Last edited by crawlin92; 03-29-07, 04:41 AM.
                        Yellow 01 Sport
                        4" Pro Comp lift | D44 | 33x12.5 Duratracs

Comment

So with 4.88 gearing and 33'' tires will I still be able to go 70 in 6th gear?

Comment

So with 4.88 gearing and 33'' tires will I still be able to go 70 in 6th gear?

with 4.88's and 35" tires I can do 80 in 6th in my 06 Rubicon
                            moon buggy
                            5.3, turbo 350, Atlas 4.3, 9" front rear

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep Virgin View Post
                              with 4.88's and 35" tires I can do 80 in 6th in my 06 Rubicon
                              yes but a Rubi is not a 4 banger
                              censored for having an opinion

Comment

Working...
                              X