Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigger axles

I am planning a trip to the Junk yard looking for some new axles. What is the general opinion on axle size? 44 front & 60 rear, or 60 front and back. Also does anybody happen to know what year and make might work with minimum hassle? Any info would be great!!
    That's a BIG rock!

What happened to the HP30?

If you care, I'm going to do a HP30 and a Currie HP9 one of these days.
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

wanna save a bit of money, find a HP 30 from a cherokee for the front, the ring gear turning forward will give you a 30 percent stronger ratio and witha set of upgrade axles, you will have a much more cost effective upgrade. And remember there were hundreds of thousands of cherokees made and all of them had HP30s.
      that is just my suggestion
      censored for having an opinion

Comment

Originally posted by blackZZR
        hundreds of thousands of cherokees made and all of them had HP30s. that is just my suggestion
        most of them.... I believe some of the recnet ones came with low pinion, but then I may be wrong...
        Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

ok then, most of them
          censored for having an opinion

Comment

nothing short of an axle with one ton outers will give you a significant strenght increase over a HP30 in front. this based on ujoints and shaft size.

go HP in the rear. I wish I did.

:2:
            myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

I have the HP 30 in the garage, I was out on a run this weekend near Vegas and broke 2 u-joint/ axles. I was just getting a case of axle envy by the end of the day... Just wanted to see what what you guys had to say... Has anybody tried the 760 u-joints for the 30 yet?
              That's a BIG rock!

Comment

Originally posted by Bachman
                I was out on a run this weekend near Vegas and broke 2 u-joint/ axles.
                stock I assume??? go alloy and you should be fine.

the 760s (i think) in my LP30 held up fine to numerous beatings at JV.
                myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

I have the HP 30 in the garage, I was out on a run this weekend near Vegas and broke 2 u-joint/ axles. I was just getting a case of axle envy by the end of the day... Just wanted to see what what you guys had to say... Has anybody tried the 760 u-joints for the 30 yet?
                  I'll take the HP 30 off your hands
                  Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Yep, they were stock axles, and u-joints. I will just have to bite the bullet and go with the super 30 kit. I want to get it done before the next run over the Rubicon.
                    You guys should head up this way next year for the Hump and Bump,http://www.vv4w.org/humpnbump.asp[/URL], great trails, lots of rocks, and a pretty good raffel on the last night.
                    That's a BIG rock!

Comment

Yep, they were stock axles, and u-joints. I will just have to bite the bullet and go with the super 30 kit.
                      while 30 spline Dana 30 axles are great and all, I think their a crock of shit. If you do this, make sure you have a set of spare shafts that fit your jeep. One of the beauty's of the stock replacement alloy shafts if that, if I pop a shaft I can throw in a stock shaft. Most people will have stock shafts as spares. I dont know who will have 30 spline stuff.

The stock shafts are pretty soft. I've popped a u-joint and taken the shaft, it happens. I dont think that the set up I have now in bullet proof. I do feel that its a shit pot stronger then any stock shit.

Erik runs a HP30, warn inners/outters, CTM's and hasnt had any problems with it. He's popped hubs, but thats the fuse in the small hub kit . . . just carry spares of those.

Is there a strength comparison between the Warn stuff and the Superior 30 stuff? That would be interesting to see.

Good Luck!
                      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
                        while 30 spline Dana 30 axles are great and all, I think their a crock of shit. If you do this, make sure you have a set of spare shafts that fit your jeep.
                        IIRC, just get a set of stock Rubicon D44 front shafts as your spares. Still not as cheap as stock D30 shafts but cheaper than a set of alloys for spares.
                        Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Chris, do you run the stock replacement alloy shafts?
                          That's a BIG rock!

Comment

I have the Warn kit with alloy inners. I guess the inners could be considered stock replacement alloy shafts, but the outers are Warn hub specific. I've stated this before, but other then outboarding my shocks, the hub kit was one of the best things I did to my Jeep!
                            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Try and find a 84 or so nerwer fullsize Cherokee and have a look at the dana 44 versions. worth a look. Plus they have heavy duty housings/axle tubes.....Oh and tons of upgrades
                              Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

Working...
                              X