Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grand Cherokee auto trans (46RH) in a CJ?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Cherokee auto trans (46RH) in a CJ?

So I have an advance adapters clocking ring on my D300, which is also supposedly what I need to mate an NV3550 TJ 5 speed to a D300. The Grand Cherokee from 1993 to 1995 had the 46RH auto (hydraulically controlled, overdrive), which is also the same trans used in 4WD Ram 1500 trucks. The GVW rating is 14,000 lb, so I think it should stand up to some serious use. So I'm wondering if the 46RH would bolt up just like an NV3550. It seems like it should... I think the bolt pattern on the 5.2L V8 is the same as the 4.0L, so that end should also work. It seems like all these chain drive transfer cases have the same bolt pattern anyway? They put the AX-15 in early Grand Cherokees with the 6 cylinder, so it seems like they would have to be compatible...? Anyone know the length of the 46RH trans? Width of the pan on the trans? That might actually kill the whole thing, since the D300 is not all that wide and there's not a lot of clearance between my T-5 manual and the driveshaft now. Maybe I should quit dreaming and bolt in an NV3550.... I need to go read some auto vs. manual rants, that should clear things up for me

rick
    :shades:

edit: typo
    Last edited by rick; 09-11-05, 01:32 AM.
    1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
    My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Sorry, I have a 47RH (or is it a 47RE???), but no 46's. The 47 is probably alot bigger than the 46........and just put the manual in it....rowing your own is a good thing (providing you are geared deep enough).
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Oh, I forgot to add that it will be pushed by a 285 hp, 320 ft-lb stroker . That might make the NV3550 not last so long...
      1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
      My Jeep

Comment

Well, it turns out I was smoking something when I conceived this idea. The 5.2L engine in the grand is the same as any other Chrysler 318, which has a completely different bolt pattern than the AMC engines. Right now an AW4 swap, complex electronics and wiring included, is looking more and more attractive...
        My Jeep

Comment

go here...

http://www.stu-offroad.com/index.shtml

then to drivetrain, then to aw4 tranny swap.

then tell me what you think. :yay: :cactus:
          myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

The install doesn't scare me as much as taking the 4 to 1 out of the D300... I'm not sure I can live with super duper low with the auto+4:1. In my case, I don't have all that OBDII junk since my engine control is based on a 94 YJ. I think this will simplify things greatly. I would therefore also need an older AW4 without the two speed sensors on the trans. I also haven't given a whole lot of thought to the shifter. I guess I could swap in a CJ auto column. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. It makes it tempting to slap a used/rebuilt NV3550 in there and see how long it lasts... I only have a couple hundred bucks in the used/rebuilt T-5 I have in it now, but a 3550 is going to set me back way more than that.
            My Jeep

Comment

...and what will you do with that left over pedal??? :yay:
              myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

I have a torch.
                My Jeep

Comment

So I have decided that the answer to my transmission problem is to purchase a diesel truck.

Then I can swap in a 999 for cheap, have some way low gearing, keep my long rear driveshaft, no overdrive, and not care about whether the torque converter locks or not, and just yank the damn thing on the trailer...

This idea makes an NV4500 sound cheap... I'm confused.

My Jeep

Comment

Originally posted by rick
                    So I have decided that the answer to my transmission problem is to purchase a diesel truck.

Then I can swap in a 999 for cheap, have some way low gearing, keep my long rear driveshaft, no overdrive, and not care about whether the torque converter locks or not, and just yank the damn thing on the trailer...

This idea makes an NV4500 sound cheap... I'm confused.

Now your talking. Better get to the dodge dealership now while they still have the dealer pricing.
                    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
                      Now your talking. Better get to the dodge dealership now while they still have the dealer pricing.
                      I already tried that - there's very few 05's left it seems. So no employee pricing on 06 Dodges.
                      Looks like I'll either have to get a GM or an NV3550...
                      My Jeep

Comment

Ugh, GM . . . shudder.
                        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Working...
                        X