Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever drop in a v8 in replacement of a 4banger??

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what about just dropping another 4cyl. in my jeep. Since mine has about 120,000 miles on it, there must have been power loss through all the miles. Ive been lookin at 0-60mph times that a new 4cyl. does(with stock tires), it did about a 10second 0-60... thats a great improvement compared to my 0-60 which is 25 seconds-- plus a new 4cylinder runs at price range of $$950-1100$$ which is also a great improvement compared to the "over 6K" that putting a v8 in would cost

Comment

I don't think you would see anywhere near 10second with a new 4 cyl and your 35s. The 4 cyc will be your cheapest option but what about putting in an I6? Plenty around. I *think* you will just need to change the transfer case input shaft to 23 spline.

Just a thought.
      Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

IIRC. the newer 2.4L is the same as that on the Neon. The sport tuners have created a market for superchargers. I am not sure of the dimensional requirements for the superchargers, but this link might make for interesting reading.

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/te..._supercharged/
        http://www.avengersuperchargers.com/
        Last edited by jmbrowning; 03-23-05, 08:40 AM.
        Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
        2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Take a look at the new kit from TeraFlex on swapping a V8 in your TJ Jeep.

www.teraflex.biz

The kit was shown at SEMA and is for swapping 5.7L Chrysler Hemi V8 power into your TJ Jeep. This system should be available sometime this spring if what the guys from TeraFlex said is accurate.

Be prepared to spend $ though......
          Rick

JP Magazine had some photos of it if you hit up their website on it.

www.jpmagazine.com/sema04/index4.html
          Last edited by RangerRick; 03-30-05, 09:30 PM. Reason: info
          " [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Life-is-Good![/COLOR] "
          Rick W6RE

Comment

I just came back to this thread to post up some pics lol

Comment

very nice! :2: money well spent!
              :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

That looks like a nice clean installation. I am sure you are pretty happy with what you achieved.
                Rich

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]So educate me, is that the Dodge 5.7 hemi? I see it says 5.7 on it, but I'm pretty stupid. Ask anyone.[/COLOR]
                  [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                  Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
                    [COLOR=sienna]So educate me, is that the Dodge 5.7 hemi? I see it says 5.7 on it, but I'm pretty stupid. Ask anyone.[/COLOR]
                    Chevy LS1 :thumbs_up
                    Check out .

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]That was recommended to me to do. but what kind of other mods am I going to want to do this swap? Obviously the D35 has GOTTA go.. but I'll need a stronger Tranny & TCase won't I?

What does this do to center of gravity?[/COLOR]

Comment

I think the LS1 is lighter than our inline-6, :dunno: and if you throw an LS1 into yer jeep, it will take care of that D35 for you... :devil:
                        :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

[COLOR=sienna]That was recommended to me to do. but what kind of other mods am I going to want to do this swap? Obviously the D35 has GOTTA go.. but I'll need a stronger Tranny & TCase won't I?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=sienna]What does this do to center of gravity?[/COLOR]
                          I thought you were going the V-6 route?

IMO I'm still not seeing the benefit of dropping a V-8 in a Jeep for the type of wheeling we do. Now if I was building a mud bog I would have another opinion. My little 4.3L has never let me down on power.

With that said Sergio (50yj) has been doing pretty well with his 5.0L.
                          Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                            I thought you were going the V-6 route?

IMO I'm still not seeing the benefit of dropping a V-8 in a Jeep for the type of wheeling we do. Now if I was building a mud bog I would have another opinion. My little 4.3L has never let me down on power.

With that said Sergio (50yj) has been doing pretty well with his 5.0L.
                            [COLOR="Sienna"]Well, I want to put the V6 into the CJ and maybe something more beefy into the YJ (or reverse that). One Jeep will probably end up towing the other, or a camper. Neither is fuel injected currently. Maybe stick to V6 in both? I don't wanna reach back for some power and then not have it. But if the 4.3L will cover what I'm looking for, I see no need to burn two extra cyl.[/COLOR]

Comment

i have a 4.3L vortec in my 97 jimmy, and it runs strong, tons of torque and power. shes a fast little truck, and hauls a decent trailer. i pull 2 sleds and can still maintain 120K/hr if i choose to. the fuel on it aint bad, 400k to the tank city and maybe 500 highway if i keep off the loud pedal. it has a k&N filter and a resonator instead of a muffler, sounds good and honks good. would say it equals or is better than any junkyard 350. has around 220*** K's on it.

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]Well, I want to put the V6 into the CJ and maybe something more beefy into the YJ (or reverse that). One Jeep will probably end up towing the other, or a camper. Neither is fuel injected currently. Maybe stick to V6 in both? I don't wanna reach back for some power and then not have it. But if the 4.3L will cover what I'm looking for, I see no need to burn two extra cyl.[/COLOR]
                                Nick, I have dropped a Chev 5.7L with a Turbo 350 automatic in my CJ7... Tons of power... maybe too much at times... I will be at the AAT workday on Saturday, you are welcome to check it out... I can share with you some lessons learned...
                                Regards,
                                Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

www.youtube.com/user/MyBrokenJeep

Comment

Working...
                                X