Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detroit EZ for Dana 35c Install

Woohoo! The locker is finally in. Rick did the install, I took a few pixs, and hopefully it will drive down the road right. We're working on a write up - but here's a few pixs for now!

:gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Very cool!!! you gonna try that baby out at Pontiac?
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

maybe, ... no one can seem to tell me how difficult the trail is. do you know?

Comment

nope. sorry. but listen... with the right line and a good spotter your Jeep can go everywhere ours do!!!!:yay:
        myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

there are by-passes, If I remember correctly. I dont think you'll have a problem . . . nothing a strap wont fix
          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I have heard that pontiac is not much worse than John Bull used to be (before CalTrans came through ). Of course, that is second hand info, so take it for what it is worth.
            olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

good info guys, but this thing
              IS SERIOUSLY MESSED UP!

the popping is mostly under light to medium acceleration, and afterwards it pops so much i thought it had fallen off.

does anyone know anything about the ez lockers? i know they're supposed to be noisy, but rick also thinks that it's quite a bit excessive!

Comment

take a look at what these people have said, and see if this is what you are experiencing.
                http://dodgeram.org/ki4cy/4x4/Lockrite_notes.htm
                >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

sarah, my ez locker was giving me grief a while back (just ask jim! ) and a few things i discovered are: make sure the small pins/springs are installed correctly, make sure the thrust washers on the side gears (where the axle shafts engage the locker) are there! these are easy to toss in the trash with the old parts! also make sure the big cross-pin doesn't have any damage where the locker contacts it. my cross pin got dented in this area and wouldn't apply enough pressure to the locker for it to lock, so the center part of the locker wouldn't engage the sides and would just spin... sounded like a rock drill (or insert your own horrible sound) and then would suddenly engage with a terrible bang. i had to warranty/replace the locker since it got so trashed and i also got one of the heavy-duty cross pins from trac-tech.

here's a pic of what the cross pin shouldn't look ike:

the cross pin should be smooth... no dents.

Comment

it's dis-engaging every 30 seconds and just spinning. we almost didn't make it home last nite!

click on FEATURE at the very top of this page in the navigation, and locker problems, for rick's write up.

we're going to tear it apart tonite.

Comment

we haven't taken it apart yet, but we've come to the conclusion that it's probably just plain broken.

chuck, it sounds exactly like that. the shims are there, the dowl pins and springs are in right, and the cross pin looked ok.

unfortunately, jeepin'joe didn't have a warranty available, but since he sold us a busted locker, it's no wonder!

pixs to come soon ...

Comment

Ok, so here's what the locker looks like now... what do you say Chuck? Is this what a wasted locker looks like? I think so...

So, is this side gear done for, or what?

I'm thinking that maybe this thing is done for, but what if I shim the side gears tighter so that only one side can spin at a time? I guess that is probably a half ass way to set it up, but has anyone done this? The cross pin actually doesn't look bad, so I'm thinking this problem started when this baby lived in Joe's carrier. I think at this point I'm inclined to put the spider gears back in it and forget it, but maybe you guys have some insight that might change my mind. Is this really bad for a locker that's been in for a while, or are they supposed to get rounded a bit when they wear in? Like I say, it looks wasted to me, but I haven't seen a used one.

:shades: and
                        1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                        My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

hmmm, thats a bummer. I have never seen a worn out locker, so I cant help you there, BUT have you talked to trac-tech yet? They might be able to tell you, by your description, if it is worn out or whats going on. Good luck, keep us posted.
                          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I ran an EZ locker in the front for over a year and when I pulled it out to have the Detroit put in, you could not tell that there was any wear. The edges were solid with no rounding. I'd say you have a problem. Like Chris said, call Trach Tech and see what they say.
                            1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

thanks for the info. rick talked to tri county gear to get a new cross pin. the spider gears are back in and we're basically considering it scrap metal now.

any ideas on what to do with a broken locker? art sculpture?

Comment

Working...
                              X