• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy Gussets Batman!!! Lookin' good! :yay:
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Looks good. Here is an idea for your cover.
      http://www.code4x4.com/projects/axle_88/axle_88.html

Comment

Originally posted by fourbangeryj
        Looks good. Here is an idea for your cover.
        http://www.code4x4.com/projects/axle_88/axle_88.html
        i'm going to try to keep it much more simple than that. that is my referance thogh, and i have been talking with chris, [the guy that made that one] about pointers on mine.
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

What type of welding are you doing on that?I'm assuming MIG.What size wire?What settings?Looks awsome!
          "Good Girls and Dirty Jeeps" a song by Opal Justice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xRtRE45OVQ

Comment

Originally posted by Kman
            What type of welding are you doing on that?I'm assuming MIG.What size wire?What settings?Looks awsome!
            i have no idea what the answers to your questions are. i am taking it to a friend that is familiar with welding plate to cast.

well, the slice is cut!
            i'm commited now, or i should be .
            pics are to come. i have to eat then i'll upload them to share. this is going to be sooo much nicer!
            no more big ol' hanger
            ERIK

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
              i have no idea what the answers to your questions are. i am taking it to a friend that is familiar with welding plate to cast.

well, the slice is cut!
              i'm commited now, or i should be .
              pics are to come. i have to eat then i'll upload them to share. this is going to be sooo much nicer!
              no more big ol' hanger
              Still eating??? You HOG!
              [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
              SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
              Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

here are a couple more progress pics.there is a total of 1.25" cut off from the bottom of the dif housing. this is a very substantial gain in this area.
                my plan is to have the housing be perfectly flat, with no lip at all. it is looking like i will achieve this with no problem.
                this gain is equal to going up from a 35" tire to a 37" tire.
                more pics to come.

here is a picture of the big ass hook on the bottom of the housing that was removed.
                as you can see, the housing is pretty much flat right up to the lip. the objective is to have it continue on the same plane right to the back of the housing. nice and flat with no hooks or hangers to bind me up in the rocks

disregard the shocks in that last pic. a lot has changed on the jeep since that picture was taken. it is only to show the diff in its pre altered state
                Last edited by NAILER341; 09-15-04, 11:04 AM.
                ERIK

Comment

here are a few more pictures for you.. this will give an idea of the final result. i was able as i had hoped to do this without the dimple for the ring gear. i sacraficed a bit of clearance for having a completely flat diff housing.
                  i have just about 1/8"-3/16" clearance between the ring gear, and the new piece of steel. this should be adequate.
                  well, have a look at the pictures.
                  enjoy

ERIK

Comment

That is looking good! Makes me want to shave my 44s before I swap them in but I don't need another reason to put off building them
                    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

here are a few of the latest pictures.
                      i am now 90% ready to weld this thing shut, and get er' back into the jeep.

here is the diff guard, customized to fit the shaved style.

the dimple you see in this picture is a modified spot for a bottom bolt. i dont think it is even really needed with the diff guard on there. i'm pretty sure the plate on the guard would prevent the cover from being peeled back on the trail.

sooo... there you have it. the next pics will be coming after saturday, when this thing is welded shut.

for pictures of the whole process to date, check the link below.
                      http://pierviews.com/photogallery/sh...new_page_2.htm
                      Last edited by NAILER341; 09-15-04, 05:06 PM.
                      ERIK

Comment

Is that 8.8 out of an Explorer?Is that the same as a ranger axle?Those gussets are awesome!!I need to get some more info on welding steel to cast so I can start practicing!
                        "Good Girls and Dirty Jeeps" a song by Opal Justice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xRtRE45OVQ

Comment

Originally posted by Kman
                          Is that 8.8 out of an Explorer?Is that the same as a ranger axle?Those gussets are awesome!!I need to get some more info on welding steel to cast so I can start practicing!
                          yes this is an 8.8 from an explorer. NO it is not the same as most ranger axles. although i have heard that some 4x4 rangers do have the sought after 31 spline shafts, as do the explorers.

well, this thing is ready to bolt back into the jeep. i had the case checked, as well as the tube alignment, and the gears.
                          everything is in order and ready to go.
                          the case did not deform at all from the cutting, and there was no deformity from the welding of the gussets.
                          installed pics to come tomorrow
                          ERIK

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
                            yes this is an 8.8 from an explorer. NO it is not the same as most ranger axles. although i have heard that some 4x4 rangers do have the sought after 31 spline shafts, as do the explorers.

well, this thing is ready to bolt back into the jeep. i had the case checked, as well as the tube alignment, and the gears.
                            everything is in order and ready to go.
                            the case did not deform at all from the cutting, and there was no deformity from the welding of the gussets.
                            installed pics to come tomorrow
                            atta Boy

Suck It

Lets see that mess!
                            [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                            SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
                              atta Boy

Suck It

Lets see that mess!
                              hey! thyanks for your intrest!
                              sucki it.
                              pics will be up tomorrow, and it will be ready to rock and roll!!!
                              ERIK

Comment

Well, just in case any of you were curious, this shaved 8.8 held together very well on the trail. it was put through its paces, and scraped, and slammed down the trail. no problems.
                                i'll get a couple of pics up of the finished product with its new scrapes up.
                                ERIK

Comment

Working...
                                X