Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gearing opinions help me out guys.

ok so hre the deal i got 33s on now. i wanted to go 456s. eventually im going to at least 35s when the 33 are done. i was told that if i go to 456 with 35 and smaller all i will do is redline on the freeway. but i have 3.55 gears now. will 4.10s be a difference for me or is it just a waste of money. i dont want to be under geared but i dont want to be over geared either. i know guys with 37s on their rigs that say 4.56s are a little low. i am going to drive this on the street so i dont want to be in the truck lane. shoot me some input and a few opinions. thanks guys.

I will let you drive my jeep after I am done. I have 4:10 and 33". It's a stock feeling on the freeway. No redline. I also thought about going to 35". I will probably keep the 4:10.

Comment

Depends somewhat on the transmission in your Jeep
      5 speed, or 3 speed auto, or 4 speed auto

Comment

Try this calculator with your different options to see what your RPM's will be.
        http://www.ringpinion.com/Calc_RPM.aspx
        This may be useful as well.
        http://www.4lo.com/calc/geartable.htm

I ran 35's with 4.56 gears and wish I had 4.88. My new set up will be 37's with 5.13 gears.

Depends somewhat on the transmission in your Jeep
        5 speed, or 3 speed auto, or 4 speed auto
        This does matter.
        Check out .

Comment

I did the 4.56,s from the exact gears your at 3.55,s and went from 33,s to 35,s I,m happy with them cruise the freeway at 65-70 no problems rpm at 65 are right about when it was stock..
          "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

If you want factory feel. I think this is the cool aid.

33" - 4.10
            35" - 4.56
            37" - 4.88

Comment

Since you are running 3.55's w 33's now, 4.10's w/ 35's should be about the same
              An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

This link that chuck posted I think is the best representation of gear choices. I alwayse go back to that chart when I am thinking about axle gear ratios.
                http://www.4lo.com/calc/geartable.htm
                Those left standing
                Will make millions
                Writing books on ways
                It should have been
                -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

I'm runnin 35's on the rubi 4.10's and before i did the flex-a-lite mod my jeep was a tank!!!! I figure if i'm blowin a grand on gears i'd rather be a bit lower. I figure most of what I've done focuses on off-road prowess so why stop now! I am runin a 4.0L 5 speed. Tough decision for sure...

I should be on the road tomorrow and I'll report my results....good luck

Comment

Originally posted by JeepinLA Eh View Post
                    I'm runnin 35's on the rubi 4.10's and before i did the flex-a-lite mod my jeep was a tank!!!! I figure if i'm blowin a grand on gears i'd rather be a bit lower. I figure most of what I've done focuses on off-road prowess so why stop now! I am runin a 4.0L 5 speed. Tough decision for sure...

I should be on the road tomorrow and I'll report my results....good luck
                    Hey Todd, post back. You went with 4.88 and 35's right?

Comment

With a 3-speed trans I was running 4.10 and 33" tires, constant redline at freeway speeds. Changed to 35" tires and am closer to stock but still run 2700rpms at 65-70mph.

Like was already mentioned it really depends on the transmission final drive ratio.
                      "It's Not Rocket Surgery"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
                        Hey Todd, post back. You went with 4.88 and 35's right?
                        yeah...have run the 31's, 33's and now 35's all on 4.10's now going to 4.88

Comment

yeah i have the aw4. so im probably going to go with the 410s for nowand run my 33s actually they are 32s. but they are brand new so im going to run them. if i plan to go bigger then im going all out and 4link on tons like kevin did. i started this build when my motor went out and then the trans i havent even got to whell it once yet. im going to beat the shit out of it and then beef up what i need to. and that chart is the shit.

Comment

4.30's would be the ticket, for 32's but they do not make those. Still if you are going to regear it I would go 4.56, since you will end up with 35's anyway

Comment

^^ i agree with the aw4 run 4.56 gears, wont be dissapointed and will be ready when you are for 35"s
                              "It's Not Rocket Surgery"

Comment

Working...
                              X