Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ron,

There are a few people out there who swear by locked front, LSD rear, and it can have its advantages. If I were to go that route, however, I wouldn't use a Trac-Lok, and I wouldn't invest the price of an aftermarket LSD into a D35. As far as traction device for your D35 goes, I see the Aussie Locker as the best choice because it's so easy to install; it's only gonna be $260 or so, $100 of which you should be able to recoupe when you finally ditch that D35 POS and and sell the Aussie Locker.

Art has wheeled with you, and I haven't, so he probably has a better idea of where your skill level is at than I do. I think you should take him up on his offer, and let him get you into some trouble. You're welcome to come along with me anytime too. I think you'll appreciate your locker upgrade a lot more when you know first hand where it is needed most and why. In the process, you'll become a much better wheeler. I've done quite well in most circumstances with just a front locker, and I usually do the best when I pretend that I don't have any locker at all. I can do that because I've been in the rocks, ruts, climbs, mud, etc., open-open (worn-out Trac-Lok counts as open) in my Jeep and various other 4wd and even 2wd vehicles.
    holes = cowbell

Comment

Fair enough! My experience is poor at best. lol. I get to the end, but it's not graceful.

Did you see a locker on the aussie site for the D30?

Which company does the aftermarket LSD?

Thanks

Comment

If you plan on sticking with the d35 maybe a detroit true trac would not be a bad choice. Will change the whole carrier butwill atleast make that part considerably stronger

Comment

There's a Dana 30 Aussie Locker on the website--that's where I got both of my lockers--Dana 30 and Dana 44.

I think all the major companies produce various types of limited slips. In all cases, I think an Aussie Locker will give you more bang for the buck, and more reliable performance.
          holes = cowbell

Comment

I have been verry happy with the detroit truetrac in my street car, Lights both tires up, but no unexpected handling gremlins. Also its a gear driven LSD which doesnt wear out our require a friction modifier like the clutch type LSD's do.

but xeleventy on getting rid of that D35. If you look you can find an 8.8 wish discs for cheep. Espacially with all the cars for communism hitting the junkyards. slap some new perches on that baby and you shouldnt have to worryh about it!

Just my $.25 (inflation)
            An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
              I thought you had a trac lok! I think I remember asking you out on that run. No issues? If you had your choice, trac lok or assuie locker for the rear?
              [COLOR="Sienna"]If he had his choice... ARB. [/COLOR]
              [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
              Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

TrueTrac is better than True-Loc? Why?

Found this
                http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DETRO...Q5fAccessories

Comment

If you can afford to ditch the D35 I would rather than investing anything known to be weak. I am running a Ford 9" with a high-pinion and Detroit Locker in the rear. I kept the stock D30 in the front and added the Detroit Locker. So far, all has been great. Since the rear axle takes the brunt of the load in most instances, that is where to spend the money. I will run the front D30 with D-locker until something breaks then I will put a D44 in the front.
                  Never the last trail!:cactus:

Comment

Originally posted by DirtBall89 View Post
                    If you can afford to ditch the D35 I would rather than investing anything known to be weak. I am running a Ford 9" with a high-pinion and Detroit Locker in the rear. I kept the stock D30 in the front and added the Detroit Locker. So far, all has been great. Since the rear axle takes the brunt of the load in most instances, that is where to spend the money. I will run the front D30 with D-locker until something breaks then I will put a D44 in the front.
                    I'll lock it up front. Just deciding on the rear on what to do.

Comment

Found someone to do a Ford 8.8 installed for $900 That's with 4:10 and limited slip in the rear. That's complete.

I'll weight out his price on the install for the Detroit True Trac in the rear.

Comment

I'll lock it up front. Just deciding on the rear on what to do.
                        Like a lot of the guys have said Ron. Spend your money on a rear differential ...or... put a "lunchbox" style locker in the front. If you put a locker in the Dana 30 in the front you will notice an extreme difference in its off road ability. It will also take some of the stress off the rear differential in many cases because the front is now pulling up over things much better. I installed a detroit EZ-locker in the front of my rig over five years ago and it has not given me any problems. Most guys say lock the rear first but in your case it would not be your best option for Bang for the buck in more ways than one. I did my front first and drove MANY trails with that and the factory limited slip in my Dana 44 for a few years before going to a detroit hard locker in the back as well when we did the gears.
                        "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Hey Ron,
                          If you do go with the D35 setup, I have a set of new Super D35 30spline axle shafts for $100. All you have to do is buy what ever locker you want that uses 30spline shafts for the D35 setup. If you buy a D44, I have a full Detroit locker for $350 that is in excellent condition. Let me know.

Drew-

30 spline better? Although, I didn't see it.

Add these?
                          http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-...Q5fAccessories
                          Drew
                          95yj Six Pack

Comment

Originally posted by Drewminator View Post
                            Hey Ron,
                            If you do go with the D35 setup, I have a set of new Super D35 30spline axle shafts for $100. All you have to do is buy what ever locker you want that uses 30spline shafts for the D35 setup. If you buy a D44, I have a full Detroit locker for $350 that is in excellent condition. Let me know.

Drew-
                            Are those Chrome Molly?

Comment

No they are not. I had a set on my other Jeep that I sold and they held up pretty dam good and i beat the shit out of them. These are my spare USA Alloy shafts. If you are going to upgrade later in the future, I wouldnt wast your money on Chomo shafts since these are as strong as a standard D44 shaft.

Are those Chrome Molly?
                              Drew
                              95yj Six Pack

Comment

Originally posted by Drewminator View Post
                                No they are not. I had a set on my other Jeep that I sold and they held up pretty dam good and i beat the shit out of them. These are my spare USA Alloy shafts. If you are going to upgrade later in the future, I wouldnt wast your money on Chomo shafts since these are as strong as a standard D44 shaft.
                                I will still need the seals and wheel studs?

I have a non c-slip axle. What are those?

Comment

Working...
                                X