Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-Gearing

I am conscidering changing my stock 4.10 Gears to 4.88. 06 LJ Rubi,6 spd manual, and 33 tires. Any input on the idea would be appreciated, and also can anyone make a recomendation of a good shop that could take care of this
    06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
    07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Any particular reason you want to move to 4.88's? I see you have a manual, which with 4.10's and the 4:1 tcase is geared pretty low. I have an '03 rubi auto with 4.88's and 35's, I used to run 33's, but I didn't have the 1st gear you do. Don't get me wrong, I like my set-up, but I'm not sure you need to upgrade if you're sticking to 33's. Also, I did my gears with chromoly shaft upgrades, so if you're planning to do those, you might look at doing both at the same time. I used T&J performance in Orange, CA, ask for Jake; good shop that also races what they build, see them at tandjperformance.com. Best of luck.

Comment

THANKS FOR THE INPUT,,I tow an Adventure Trailer, too and from runs, and the hills and winds in the upper desert really make it hard on the jeep. I may go to 35's in the future
      07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

Venice, where art meets crime. I miss it there. I got and 88 YJ with 35's , not sure of the t-case ratio, but on the freeway my top speed has dropped a little, high revs, don't know what speed 'cause my speedo ain't tweaked for the new gearing. But if you plan on getting 35's go for it. But I would'nt do it while on 33's. Also you might want to consider upgrading your front end (1 ton) to handle the 35's, breakage on the trail is likely with a stock front end. Depends on your wheeling.
        “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
        -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Thanks for the info, anything appreciated
          07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

4.88s on 33s pulling a trailer is not an issue. But is it your D.D.? I have an 04 Rubi, manual. When I had 4.10s and 33s it wasn't a significant issue, it was forgiving. When re-geared to 4.88s w/ 33s then RPMs were obviously high, the peep became a bit dehydrated then before, and had to repleni$$h often, but exceptional on the trail. Ran it like this for about nine months until I went to 35s and became closer to stock. So if you plan on going to 35s in the future, you'll be fine. Any bigger tires becomes marginal. Your Rubi axles should handle the rubber fine. If any extra funds come along, consider upgrading the axles at the same time. Tri-County Gear in Pomona does all my work. HTH......Tony

Comment

I got a 90 xj with the dana 30 front, I picked up a rear end with 4.56s detroit locker and superior axles, I called around to have the front regeared to match, best price I got so far was from Hoopers rear end. they quoted with everything and the bigger carrier 500 bux. Im going to be running 4.56 with a 5 speed on 32s hopefully I get a lil speed in 5th lol

Comment

If you do decide to do it, All4Wheel in Norco did my gears. John is a great guy, has forgotten more about Jeeps than I'll ever know. I took my rig there on the overwhelming recommendation of people I consider to be very experienced.
                [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
                  If you do decide to do it, All4Wheel in Norco did my gears. John is a great guy, has forgotten more about Jeeps than I'll ever know. I took my rig there on the overwhelming recommendation of people I consider to be very experienced.
                  Your sig is very sad....
                  [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                  [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                  http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

how much you guys payin down their. it was so much here im about to get the tools and do it myself!
                    starvin student...

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
                      If you do decide to do it, Flywheel in Norco did my gears. John is a great guy, has forgotten more about Jeeps than I'll ever know. I took my rig there on the overwhelming recommendation of people I consider to be very experienced.
                      well sir i am sorry that you are going to go away from your jeep. i just want to say that we are proud of you and the Job you do to keep us free, we will all be praying for you. thanks and god bless you.

i want this jeep

Comment

Snoopy

Hey Mr. Chips if i were you I would find a couple of buddies & get together for a gear swapping party. I'm going to build some kind of stand that I can just put the whole diff on & work from there. I have changed a few in the past 40 years & putting the carrier in & out a dozen or so times to get it set up right, doesn't work for me anymore. Well at least doing it under the Jeep, but it wont be a problem if i sit right in front of the diff. One might think that taking out the whole mess is a big deal, but after you do it once, its actually easy & to me a lot easie than crawling around on a creeper under the Jeep. But I do suppose having a garage type lift in your back yard would be a bit of help. Hmm maybe you can get your buddies to help with that while your at it. LOLhttp://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/images/smilies/mjr_nowine.gif
                        Snoopy

Comment

exactly what is going to happen, and it is going to be at your house,,,,,,,
                          07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

Hey, if you'll are having a gear changing party, I want to play! I want to go from 4:10 to 48 for my 05 LJ on 35's...
                            Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                            Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                            HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
                              Hey, if you'll are having a gear changing party, I want to play! I want to go from 4:10 to 48 for my 05 LJ on 35's...
                              If you plan on staying on 35s, go with 5.13s and never look back.
                              [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X