Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going HP D30 hunting...advice needed

Well, got back from an Axle Safari this weekend, went down to Encinitas down at Ryan Brown's farm and bagged a new MJ Dana 44 housing that was built up with Yukon parts. Also, installed were 4.56 gears and an ARB. Ryan left the shock mounts off and picked up some Rubicon Express anti-wrap spring perches. Merry Xmas for the Missus.

Now, the Wife needs a high-pinion Dana 30 to replace the LP D30. Time to go hunt down an axle. Now, I understand that the XJ HP Dana 30's came with vacuum disconnects, but do the TJ HP D30's also have the same bugaboo?

Do all TJ's have the high pinion D30 or did they switch over to the LP D30 in 2000 like the XJ's?

I figure all that is needed is a TJ housing, should be drop-in for the XJ front, no? Extra axles and outer stubs would be bonus too I guess.

Thanks a million in advance for your learned recommendations.

PS. If you are looking for a new Dana 44, drop Ryan a line as he has 3 left. He will do all fab work necessary.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Ok, a couple things.

NO TJ's came with HP D30's, only LP D30's.
    XJ's that have fulltime t-cases (242 t-case) have NON-disco HP D30's
    Only the Part time t-case XJ's (231 case) have the vacuum disco axle.

So, You would want a D'30 from a 99 and older XJ with a 242 Transfer case (full time)

Good Luck
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Somehow, I just knew that Chris would have the answer.

You can take the redneck out of the XJ, but you can't take the XJ out of the redneck!

Muchos gracias!
      2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Originally posted by jmbrowning
        Somehow, I just knew that Chris would have the answer.

You can take the redneck out of the XJ, but you can't take the XJ out of the redneck!
        Thanks . . . I guess :confused: :confused:

Glad I could help.
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

BTW, whatever happened to the big black XJ anyways? Is it still living a life of rockcrawling somewhere or did it get parted out?

Comment

I sold it to a fellow Jeeper . . . CajunZJ. I guess he's been having some problems with it, we were suppose to see it at Calico a couple months ago, but it overheated on the way out. I think its still alive . . . I hope.
            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

hey JM... I will eventually be in the market for a HP 30 in the TJ. If you find a place with a couple, let me know. :yay:
              myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

I found a place that has around 20 lying about. Will go check it out on Friday. Will let you know how they look. Apparently most pulled from salvage yards, so who knows how they run.

Comment

Originally posted by jmbrowning
                  I found a place that has around 20 lying about. Will go check it out on Friday. Will let you know how they look. Apparently most pulled from salvage yards, so who knows how they run.
                  myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

HP dana 30's go far back as 1988 in cherokees with 242's {select track}. That's the only vehicle you will find that front axle in. YJ's also had em, though most were vacuum disconect axles, weaker and less desirable. You want to find one out of a 88 up XJ that ran a 242. I have bought them for as low as 35 bucks for the housing alone....I know some yards to check.
                    ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
                    00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
                    97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

Comment

Looks like a plan to me.

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/axle/tjhpd30/
                      Write-ups, Dealer/Club listings, Personal websites welcome and useful Jeep info.

Comment

JMB; the link to Ryan Brown does some kind of internet redirect. Where can I find this guy. I've decided to build up a HP 30 instead of a 44 for the front of my TJ so I'm looking for a housing.

Comment

So whats the difference between my dana 30 with vacuum disconnect on my 85 xj and the ones your talking about?
                          B R E T T
                          87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

Originally posted by JeepJunkie
                            So whats the difference between my dana 30 with vacuum disconnect on my 85 xj and the ones your talking about?
                            No Vacuum Disconnect. i.e. TJ style 1 piece shafts in the passenger side.
                            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Jim did you find the HP's? Were they OK? I want to do this mod.
                              Sean M Higgins

"We all got it coming kid"

Comment

Working...
                              X