Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=blkTJ;94379]so none of you see any advantage to hubs in the front huh??? I'd have to guess you never drove a Jeep without all that junk spinning up there, especially after you tweak a driveshaft.
    [QUOTE]

If I could afford hubs at this time I would have already bought them! I'd like to be able to wheel all day and then flat-tow the Jeep home behind the truck!

I guess that I don't remember what it would be like to drive a Jeep that isn't vibrating in some manner.....
    Money pit!

Comment

Originally posted by ghostrider View Post
      this is f-in funny. i run a 30 up front to with 35's aussie locker and 4.56 gears, with no hubs:omg:. i do wheel it also on real trails and not roads. so it does see its fair share of abuse. never said it was a shitty axle. i just said i wouldnt put hubs in it. the price of hubs are 1183 frm quatratec, and the alloy usa shafts are 564.99. add that up and bingo. i guess im just a little better at math than you.
      You're using junk math. You quote pure retail to validate one side of your equation and then quote junkyard prices to make the difference as wide as possible.

I've run across hub kits for 350 bucks and Super 30 kits with two sets of spare inners including the ARB for sub 1000 before. And while you haven't specifically said it's a shitty axle, only the most deaf of us can't hear the sneer in your typing every time you refer to it as "a Dana 30".
      from pdw:
      "I think that it needs some sort of truss to support the axle tubes if you are going to run tires that are bigger than 35"s. "
      that is why i said truss it.
      ive been out in the real world learning first hand, not just reading the internet. if i could go back i would pay for diff. things and have more for my money now.
      I don't care why you said to truss it, it's just not necessary. It's a dime a dozen axle that should only be used with bolt on parts that can be transferred to a new housing as quickly as possible.

. as much as i get a good laugh from this ill just stop. i can tell that blaine is a stubborn ass like myself. cant wait to meet you on the trail. seem like a funny character.
      and pdw for $175 you can pick a waggy 44 up in adelanto and throw 1000 at it and you have a nice axle. hell im looking to buy a j20 with a 60 rear and 44 front for $600. that would be pretty nice. weld up front and rear call it good and wheel it. after all that is what i bought my jeep for.

i cant help myself .the bs happenen here is over whether or not to get hubs, spend the money, on the 30 when you put in solid shafts, after taking out the vacuum disco. i personally think its a waste of money for the 30. but thats my opinion.
      my front driveshaft shakes to no end but i dont care it rides on a trailer.
      And had you stated your needs from the beginning, then we could have just ignored you and your posts as being different from the needs of most and moved on. A street driven rig that has an out of balance front driveshaft is asking for immense collateral damage that only a fool would endure.
      I am Savvy.

Comment

Eh, there are advantages and disadvantages to both setups. I've run hubs, and unit bearings. I like my hubs, but they do break occasionally. They are not the end-all be-all to wheeling, just as unit bearings are not, either.

The biggest advantage for me is the fact that I have a home-made unbalanced front driveshaft, and it's convenient to unlock the front hubs when I drive it on the street. That's about it, really. I think I would prefer drive flanges up front when wheeling.

In the rear hubs are just a plain bad idea. They are very weak in a rear application, and when I blew one of my rear hubs I had on a full floater conversion, it took out my Detroit, too. That was an expensive mistake.
        '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

of course there are benefits to locking hubs. but do they outweigh the cons?
          1. you can limp home if you tweak the gears or driveshaft.
          well, you can always take the driveshaft out if that happens.. 10 min fix.
          2. better milage
          uh huh...to offset the cost of the hub kit you'd need to drive about 2000000000000 miles
          3. The argument is that you should just build a 44 for the $$$.

my point actually is that the d-30 hubs for the 5 on 4.5" pattern are TOO SMALL. I like the 5 on 5.5 hub kit and I ran it for years...though it IS too expencive.
          I'll agree that most folks can get away with a 30, but I don't think it's a great idea to put $1000 worth of tiny hubs, a $700 ARB, $200 gears, $400 chromo shafts and CTM's into one when that $$$ could easily build a better axle. My HP has been holding up great for years with no breakage except the warn premiums.. that quite a testament from me.

Normally I have way better things to do than e-argue, but I have have plenty of time out here.

Sometimes I grow tired of "I wheel a lot so I'm alwys right"
          It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostrider View Post
            this is f-in funny. i run a 30 up front to with 35's aussie locker and 4.56 gears, with no hubs:omg:. i do wheel it also on real trails and not roads. so it does see its fair share of abuse. never said it was a shitty axle. i just said i wouldnt put hubs in it. the price of hubs are 1183 frm quatratec, and the alloy usa shafts are 564.99. add that up and bingo. i guess im just a little better at math than you.
            from pdw:
            "I think that it needs some sort of truss to support the axle tubes if you are going to run tires that are bigger than 35"s. "
            that is why i said truss it.
            ive been out in the real world learning first hand, not just reading the internet. if i could go back i would pay for diff. things and have more for my money now.
            . as much as i get a good laugh from this ill just stop. i can tell that blaine is a stubborn ass like myself. cant wait to meet you on the trail. seem like a funny character.
            and pdw for $175 you can pick a waggy 44 up in adelanto and throw 1000 at it and you have a nice axle. hell im looking to buy a j20 with a 60 rear and 44 front for $600. that would be pretty nice. weld up front and rear call it good and wheel it. after all that is what i bought my jeep for.

i cant help myself .the bs happenen here is over whether or not to get hubs, spend the money, on the 30 when you put in solid shafts, after taking out the vacuum disco. i personally think its a waste of money for the 30. but thats my opinion.
            my front driveshaft shakes to no end but i dont care it rides on a trailer.
            Ghostrider, In one respect I think that I can understand where you are coming from.
            Yes, you can dig up a waggy axle, grind the rust off of it and build it as your funds allow and have a nice axle. But, from reading the comments/questions, I would guess that most people on this site drive their Jeeps on a daily basis. I don't think that is what they consider an option.
            Personally I'm to lazy to go dig up an axle, I'm going to put another Currie 9" under my Jeep when the front axle eventually breaks.
            I am fortunate enough to have a Jeep as my toy/hobby. The list of mod's that I have made to my Jeep is seemingly endlesss. But, like many others on this site, I enjoy wheeling with my kids and my fiance. We wheel it until it breaks and then we fix, not too complicated.

By the way, just what should I expect when you make the comment
            cant wait to meet you on the trail.
            Perhaps you will elighten me on what that means? Are you going to show me how to build and wheel a rig properly? Or are you going to continue to stun me with more of your poor grammer and incomplete sentences?
            Money pit!

Comment

Originally posted by Elusive View Post
              Sometimes I grow tired of "I wheel a lot so I'm alwys right"

but....I wheel a lot, and I'm right. So THERE.
              '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

Originally posted by Elusive View Post

my point actually is that the d-30 hubs for the 5 on 4.5" pattern are TOO SMALL. I like the 5 on 5.5 hub kit and I ran it for years...though it IS too expencive.
                There is currently a product in development that will solve that problem quite nicely and for about the same price as a set of replacement hubs. It will give you the option of upgrading to a mostly unneeded 30 spline outer as well. It won't be quite as user friendly as turning a knob as it won't be offered with anything but interchangeable drive slugs. They will be set up to be removed faster and easier than pulling a front driveshaft though.
                I am Savvy.

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine View Post
                  There is currently a product in development that will solve that problem quite nicely and for about the same price as a set of replacement hubs. It will give you the option of upgrading to a mostly unneeded 30 spline outer as well. It won't be quite as user friendly as turning a knob as it won't be offered with anything but interchangeable drive slugs. They will be set up to be removed faster and easier than pulling a front driveshaft though.
                  What is this upgrade that speak about? Come on, spill it!
                  Maybe Dynatrac will manufacture some of those new style locking hubs for the Dana 30 while they are at it! It looks like it could be a good idea, but it also looks like they bought some excess Lock-Rite inventory. Has anybody seen these things in action?
                  Money pit!

Comment

Originally posted by pdw View Post
                    What is this upgrade that speak about? Come on, spill it!
                    Can't. I've been pulled in on the development team and you know all I can talk about at the moment.
                    I am Savvy.

Comment

so now i have to have more post and an english degree to be on here. wow this is getting tough.
                      go back 3 pages look at post #2 and read that. this is what i was commenting on.
                      i guess no one has anyhting better than to argue on a keyboard. and pdw read into that however you want, but i was talking to blaine, he sounds just like one of my buds. i still have on going arguments with them.
                      we could go deeper on this quote from blaine
                      "I don't care why you said to truss it, it's just not necessary. It's a dime a dozen axle that should only be used with bolt on parts that can be transferred to a new housing as quickly as possible"
                      now that is good stuff right there
                      oh yeah read my last post i said i trailor it.
                      Last edited by ghostrider; 01-29-08, 11:27 PM.

Comment

well, turns out I did have better stuff to do but just got home from work. this is getting good, keep 'er comin. :yay:
                        myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

oh boy! looks like i was missing all the fun
                          it also seems that my name was brought up a few times as the dana 30 advocate.

well, let me tell you... i like mine.

now carry on and continue arguing amongst yourselves.. this has been a damn funny read.

by the way, the 30 and 44 have the same u joint. (discuss)
                          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

this is bull, an old wive's tale, everybody knows they aren't the same, c'mon Nailer - get a clue!

:gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post

this is bull, an old wive's tale, everybody knows they aren't the same, c'mon Nailer - get a clue!

the 95 and up have the larger u-joints

Comment

Originally posted by firecap4 View Post
                                the 95 and up have the larger u-joints
                                I think they're trying to be sarcastic/funny/retarded
                                “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
                                -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X