Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with dana 30 axel install

ok im getting ready to install new alloy usa axel shafts in my dana 30,this kit comes with 2 complete axels 4340 1 seal and a plate to cover the vacume disconect . this kit eliminates the the 2 piese passenger side with 1 shaft like a tj well my question is is the seal they sent me a inner or outer on the passenger side , does it go next to the carrier or near the disconect there were no inst. i think it goes next to the carrier

thanks in advance
    Ray
    :gun:im a outlaw baby:gun:

Ray,

I bought the same axles recently when I went to 4.10's. The mechanic suggested that I don't use these without "lock-out" hubs since this kit eliminates the axle disconnect and the leaves the front spinning all the time. Just a thought, I'm still learning this stuff.

Comment

it spins now cause im locked ,my jeep is mostly for trail use its my toy

Comment

yes it goes in the carrier. yeah it will spin constatnly but the cost of ujoints as apposed to 1000+ for the lockouts that are weak anyway (this is a dana 30) pretty much outways the lockouts. just remember to check u joints often or you will be buying new outer shafts. i go through my shit pile after every run and tighten and grease it all up. and your gonna like your new ubolts.

Comment

hey thanks man

Comment

Originally posted by ghostrider View Post
            yes it goes in the carrier. yeah it will spin constatnly but the cost of ujoints as apposed to 1000+ for the lockouts that are weak anyway (this is a dana 30) pretty much outways the lockouts. just remember to check u joints often or you will be buying new outer shafts. i go through my shit pile after every run and tighten and grease it all up. and your gonna like your new ubolts.
            Where do you get that lockouts are weak?
            I am Savvy.

Comment

this helped me when i did my change

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/yjd3...jconvert-1.htm
              The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

Originally posted by cbrazor1 View Post
                ok im getting ready to install new alloy usa axel shafts in my dana 30,this kit comes with 2 complete axels 4340 1 seal and a plate to cover the vacume disconect . this kit eliminates the the 2 piese passenger side with 1 shaft like a tj well my question is is the seal they sent me a inner or outer on the passenger side , does it go next to the carrier or near the disconect there were no inst. i think it goes next to the carrier

thanks in advance Ray
                Ray,
                I dont recall seeing any inner seals on the Alloy USA axles that I installed in my Dana 30. Perhaps the seals stayed in place in my axle tubes when I removed the stock axles.......Dont know, but a year later I do not have any axle or bearing issues. I did however purchase a set of those axle seals from Quadratec.

Billet Aluminum Axle Tube Seals in Black - by Alloy USA Super value price! Keep water, mud and debris from entering your front axle housing. These CNC machined Aluminum housings feature two seals to provide double protection from the crud. Available in red, black and silver anodized finishes. Sold in pairs.
                http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...+30+axle+seals

I fabbed my own block off plate with some aluminum sheet that I bought from Home Depot--a little RTV and it's sealed!
                Money pit!

Comment

Originally posted by pdw View Post
                  Ray,
                  I dont recall seeing any inner seals on the Alloy USA axles that I installed in my Dana 30. Perhaps the seals stayed in place in my axle tubes when I removed the stock axles.......Dont know, but a year later I do not have any axle or bearing issues. I did however purchase a set of those axle seals from Quadratec.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...+30+axle+seals

I fabbed my own block off plate with some aluminum sheet that I bought from Home Depot--a little RTV and it's sealed!
                  WAY overpriced , here you go http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catal...ducts_id/71570
                  “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
                  -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine View Post
                    Where do you get that lockouts are weak?
                    for the money yuor going to spend on them, again its only a dana 30, why not upgrade to a 44. they have been known to fubar themselves, and not have the hub fuse work. now im only talking about dana 30. the yj and the tj have unit bearings that can handle the stress. besides it is only a trail rig like he said. if yuo bought the hubs then dont get mad at me for your loss of money.

Comment

Originally posted by freewaydan View Post
                      this helped me when i did my change

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/yjd3...jconvert-1.htm
                      yea thats a good link it goes next to the carrier thanks

Comment

if yuo bought the hubs then dont get mad at me for your loss of money.
                        Sorry, but this made me giggle.
                        I am Savvy.

Comment

for the money yuor going to spend on them, again its only a dana 30, why not upgrade to a 44. they have been known to fubar themselves, and not have the hub fuse work. now im only talking about dana 30. the yj and the tj have unit bearings that can handle the stress. besides it is only a trail rig like he said. if yuo bought the hubs then dont get mad at me for your loss of money.
                          Well, the Dana 30 does have it's faults, just like every other axle. I think that it needs some sort of truss to support the axle tubes if you are going to run tires that are bigger than 35"s.
                          If I had the money I would have upgraded to a Currie Hi-Pinion 9" front axle--BUT, my Dana 30 has yet to break! When I do have some serious breakage, then I will consider buying a new front axle.
                          The USA Alloy axles give you stonger shafts, bigger u-joints and the Warn hub fuzes are supposed to pop before you blow a u-joint. I think that it's a fair trade-off. Everybody knows that it is not a Dana 60, so why respond like it's a piece of junk? Not everybody can simply throw there axles in the trash and buy a new Dana 44! I only upgraded from the Dana 35 to the Currie 9" because I finally spun the Dana 35 axle tubes. I wheeled what I had and when I broke it, then I upgraded accordingly. I ran my Dana 35 with the Super 35 kit for two years before I broke it. (I drove it both on the street and in the dirt.)

F.Y.I. Nailer 341 has run his Dana 30 with upgraded axles, and Warn hubs on 35's and seems to be fairly satisfied. He wheels his Jeep harder than I do and I tend to those types of examples as a point of reference. Check out his build: http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...?t=8950&page=4
                          Last edited by pdw; 01-28-08, 09:30 PM.
                          Money pit!

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine View Post
                            Sorry, but this made me giggle.
                            Money pit!

Comment

Originally posted by pdw View Post
                              F.Y.I. Nailer 341 has run his Dana 30 with upgraded axles, and Warn hubs on 35's and seems to be fairly satisfied. He wheels his Jeep harder than I do and I tend to those types of examples as a point of reference.
                              I think Erik is the ultimate poster boy for how badly you can beat the living crap out of a D30, and has'nt had any reason to swap it out yet.
                              “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
                              -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Working...
                              X