Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading The roll Cage

I still just have my stock roll cage. I've been thinking about upgrading or replacing the roll cage.

What have folks here done and how do they like the results. I've heard of the Toys By Troy "Sport Cage" roll cage add on and I know that there are others out there. I was looking at blktj's gallery and saw that he has a nice cage, but I don't know anything about it.

so, let me know your ideas & thoughts.

Thanks!

Flywaterguide

03 TJ with a few mods.

I did the weld-in through the dash version from Essentially Offroad. Also added the dash bar, lots of gussets, and the rear bar across the back. Also welded the stock main hoop. Took about 1/2 day to weld in and another 1/2 day to paint.

Here's a crappy picture when we were putting it in. Never did get a picture after it was completed..

Last edited by Kiwi; 11-04-04, 06:32 PM.
    [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]2001 TJ with stuff..[/COLOR]

Comment

Hey Kiwi, that's the cage that Rick and I are getting next week! Cool to see a preview, hehe.

Fly, the main difference between the Toys by Troy cage and other cowl mount cages is that they don't tie into the frame like these. The first thing you have to decide is if you trust your safety (or life!) with something that mounts to the dashboard.
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Well, I don't have the ability to weld, so I'd have to find somebody to weld it... I'm sure that the weld in ones are better than the bolt on ones.. but that may be the way I have to go.

FG

03 TJ with a few mods.

Comment

FWIW, mine was done by 4xdoc. I don't weld either.
          myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
            FWIW, mine was done by 4xdoc. I don't weld either.
            Looks like they are down in Burbank.. I bit of a haul (for a non-wheeling trip) for me. I may get the poison spyder "sport cage" and have somebody weld it in.

thanks!

FG

03 TJ with a few mods.

Comment

I have the PSC sport cage in my TJ. This kit isn't that hard to put together (I try to weld), and the price is decent. It ties into the floor (good thing), but leaves a big 'ol bolt hanging through the bottom of the floor,and you loose your drain holes up front. It does not tie into the frame, but one could very easily add a new body mount wing to the frame in the appropriate place, and tie the cage into the frame that way (which is how most of the custom cages I have seen get tied to the frame).

There are 2 areas that concern me slightly with this cage. Both are with the upright leg that gets bolted to the dash. The primary area is where this stamped plate gets welded to the tube part of the cage right above the dash. There is a gusset that is provided, but it is still a weak area. The second area is between the dash and the floor. The leg is not very strong here either. This will make it less likely that the energy from a roll be transferred to the floor, meaning the dash cowl takes it all. The bolts there are not that big, and I don't think you can create enough friction between the dash and the cowl to keep the bolts from shearing off in a hard roll.

So, my concern is that in a hard roll, the cowl mount bolts shear off, transferring all the energy into the lower leg, which then collapses. I have never seen or heard of it happening, but it is a slight concern with this (and any other cowl mounted cage) design. I may box in the enitre leg if I can find the room to eliminate this concern.
              olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Originally posted by flywaterguide
                I may get the poison spyder "sport cage" and have somebody weld it in.
                That was my second choice.
                myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

If you dont care about price, Id go with the PSC Full cage kit. I think Raingler has them for like $5xx or $600. It looks pretty damn sturdy and i have a buddy who had a pretty hard roll and it didnt budge. After that, he made his dad buy one for his (dads) Jeep.

I cant wait to get back to the states and install one in my Jeep. I learned how to weld out here (still just a beginner) in Iraq (armoring up our gun trucks) and im anxious to test it on something other than flat steel or angle pieces.
                  '91 YJ 4.0L
                  33x12.5 BFG A/T
                  A bunch of random aftermarket parts that are being replaced once i get back from Iraq!!

Comment

I guess "PSC" stands for Poison Spyder Customs... no? Anyway, I think "price doesn't matter" and "J-E-E-P" are one in the same... I do want to get a good roll cage... so maybe the PSC is the one to get.... just empty every pocket... again!

thanks,

FG

03 TJ with a few mods.

Comment

Originally posted by flywaterguide
                      I guess "PSC" stands for Poison Spyder Customs... no? Anyway, I think "price doesn't matter" and "J-E-E-P" are one in the same... I do want to get a good roll cage... so maybe the PSC is the one to get.... just empty every pocket... again!

thanks,

FG

Yes, you are correct about both PSC and the "price doesnt matter" haha

I love the way the full cage looks and like i said before, it held up really well in my buddys roll.
                      '91 YJ 4.0L
                      33x12.5 BFG A/T
                      A bunch of random aftermarket parts that are being replaced once i get back from Iraq!!

Comment

Originally posted by HokieYJ
                        it held up really well in my buddys roll.
                        That's the most important thing.. ain't it? I guess I'll have to find somebody to weld one up for me!

Thanks again,

FG

03 TJ with a few mods.

Comment

No prob I try to help with the little knowledge about Jeeps i have.

I just wanna see pics when you get it.........mmmmmm im still wondering what color ill paint mine when i get it
                          '91 YJ 4.0L
                          33x12.5 BFG A/T

Comment

I'm just going to throw this out there...kinda devils advocate.

I always hear everybody dissing the cowl mounted sport bars. Before a person added the sport bar the WINDSHIELD was the front protection. It mounted to the same cowl. It a big improvement over the windshield frame. MOST mfg's do not call them cages or roll bars. Sport cages is the catch fraise, in this world we live in where no one takes responasbility for them selves. this is the result, not better products to keep us safe. But rather better WRITTEN liability clauses and terminalogy from lawers!!! Mfgs bot necessarrly NEED better products to keep them from getting sued, they only need better lawers....think on it......

I went with the ORFab sport cage and added thier floor tie in. After that, I went to MORE and got thier frame tie in for thier roll cage and adapted it to work with my OR Fab. I then went to Rock Hard 4X4 parts and bought two more bars. Thier upper rear and the 4PT harness for behind the seats. next spring I'll fab up some stringers and a dash bar. Togather this really stiffened up my TJ! The extra security is really FELT! I know I am atill using the factory "hoop" and I know it's thin. I do not do competition and feel this setup is a good improvement to the factory. It will better protect my passanger and myself in the event of a roll.
                            If your are all out competition, you really need the extra protection a full 6 to 10 point roll cage offers. But all of these sport cage kits are an IMPROVEMENT over the way our wrangler's rolled off the assembly line. Isn't that what we where after in the first place? My .02

KIWI,
                            NICE looking cage, I'm jealous!

CW
                            Last edited by cwlongshot; 11-09-04, 01:05 PM.
                            '99 TJ, locked both ends, 33" BFGs, 8.8 rear, S4T lift, too much to list....lets wheel!!!

Comment

Guess what ordered today...................

Thats right. the PSC full cage!! WOO HOOOOOOOO

It ended up being $810 (or something) shipped. I ordered the seat belt hangers thingy ($32) Shipping was like $107. I ordered it from Raingler.

It will be a few months before i get pics, or even see the parts, but when i get it done, ill post them.

-Fred
                              '91 YJ 4.0L
                              33x12.5 BFG A/T

Comment

Working...
                              X