Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Land Cruiser Greeting

Found this cool site after attending the recent quarterly SBNF Adopt-a-Trail meeting. I'm not exactly computer literate (not sure how I got here) but I noticed alot of folks who live in and around the Southern California area. I'm usually always looking for a fun filled family group to enjoy trailing with when the two clubs that I belong to are either wrenching or working to afford the next new project. We're heading for the Rubithon in June and Dusy Ershim in August or September.

In addition to the volunteer adopt-a-trail with SBNF, I'm spear heading our club's participation in a joint effort with BLM in Barstow to adopt the neglected Doran and Odessa Canyons. Anyone up for a little scouting and wheelin' to survey the problem areas with some other Jeeps and Cruisers? If so, send me a PM. We're hoping for an organized clean up in October.

Looking forward to meeting and wheelin' with your group soon.

Mark
    Last edited by FJ Crawlin'; 04-27-06, 08:10 PM.
    "run forest, run!"

If we can handle a Bronco or two I don't think an FJ would be any problem.

welcome. :yay:
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

glad to have you as a part of our group

Comment

Welcome aboard! Glad to see a fellow AAT'er along I didn't happen to meet you there did I? (Or say hi?)

We do have a great group of socal people here, and we try to get our hands on as much volunteer work as we can handle, so yeah, let us know when you head out to Calico. That'll be fun!

Sarah
        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

I think we said hello as you we're walking in looking for a seat. I'll keep you guys updated on the Calico clean up.

Mark
          "run forest, run!"

Comment

Originally posted by FJ Crawlin'
            I think we said hello as you we're walking in looking for a seat. I'll keep you guys updated on the Calico clean up.

Mark
            I thought that might have been you ... I was gonna sit with ya's but most of the time the tables fill up by "club," as you probably noticed. Next time don't let me walk by

Comment

Our club sent me solo to check it out and report back about what trails in SBNF we're available and what's involved. I haven't got much response from Greg. Is it a slow process to adopt a trail? Although we got the cool maps and vehicle magnets, what happens next :dunno: ?
              "run forest, run!"

Comment

Yes, it's sort of slow. The program is huge and there are a limited amout of people running it. You need to get a list of what's available to adopt, then go check out those trails if you're unfamiliar with them. After you pick one, you will run the trail with Greg, or "Old Fart," etc. and create a plan for the trail. Also see this link if you haven't already.

Comment

Sarah is right - it's not a quick process. We're always looking for clubs to participate though - so please be patient
                  Jeff
                  OHV76V
                  KG6TY
                  You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Thanks, Jeff. I know resources are limited and schedules are tight. I received an email from Greg and it looks like 2N87Y may be an opportunity for our club. I don't believe I've personally been on that trail...black triangle?

Our monthly meeting is this Tuesday and our club is anxious to start gettin' involved.

Thanks, Mark
                    "run forest, run!"

Comment

I'll have to ask Greg about 2N87Y. IIRC - that's the old Deadmans Ridge trail - but it isn't in my AAT database (so is probably a new trail)

What I could find was an old posting on the web:

"2N87Y. This is a severely overgrown road/trail between 2N02 and the Erwin Lake area running north to south from 2N02, and east to west on a ridge into the Irwin Lake residential area (~2 miles long). 2N87Y is not shown on the USFS map, and is a road located ~ 1/2 mile west of the PCT (shown on the map), and the local identifier is "Deadmans Ridge". There is a climb when running north to south that is long and severly lose shale, requiring lockers and momentum, and a left hand turn ~3/4 of the way up. Going down the hill is easy. Deadmans Ridge runs east/west and is severely overgrown, with brush choking the road to single track width"

Black diamond, maybe?
                      Jeff
                      OHV76V
                      KG6TY

Comment

Ok found it!

(Yes Sarah - I have my maps at LAX)

Look at the area just east of the Green Spot Campground, South of Baldwin Lake.

Trail looks like it runs pretty much North/South, starts at the north side on 2N02 about 116d,46m,00sL x 34d,16m,00s, and runs south for about a mile until it hits 2N12Y

Terrain? I have to wait until I get home for that - software is on the big 'puter.
                        Jeff
                        OHV76V
                        KG6TY

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart
                          Ok found it!

(Yes Sarah - I have my maps at LAX)

Look at the area just east of the Green Spot Campground, South of Baldwin Lake.

Trail looks like it runs pretty much North/South, starts at the north side on 2N02 about 116d,46m,00sL x 34d,16m,00s, and runs south for about a mile until it hits 2N12Y

Terrain? I have to wait until I get home for that - software is on the big 'puter.
                          I may be a Mac geek, but you're a forest geek! Sounds like it could turn into a fun trail.

Comment

Actually I'm a former Critical Infrastructure geek, working as an Aviation Infrastructure geek, who's a Forest geek on the side.....

I'll trace the route tonight in my topo program - may have to ping you tomorrow as to how to post the .jpg

Mark - drove a '70 FJ for quite some time - quite some time ago
                            Jeff
                            OHV76V
                            KG6TY

Comment

It looks like a short yet fun trail that I think we're going to scout out in the coming weeks. It'll have too be rather soon...cause we're heading to the Rubicon in June.

Alright, so as the new guy coming into this for our club here's the questions that I've been asked by some of our members:

1. Can we chose more than one trail to adopt from?
                              2. In the case of 2N87Y where the vegetation is overgrown, is our club responsible for cutting the vegetation back and away from the trail? I personally don't mind the brush scratches, it builds character-as long as access is available.
                              3. Once we commit and adopt a trail, how do we as a group generate and develop a plan without the forest service?
                              4. Is the trail that we adopt the only trail that we are responsible for or can we help out on other trails in addition to our own?
                              5. Are we as a club responsible for purchasing markers and signs and other needs for our trail or does the USFS provide the materials?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Mark

Originally posted by Old Fart
                              I'll have to ask Greg about 2N87Y. IIRC - that's the old Deadmans Ridge trail - but it isn't in my AAT database (so is probably a new trail)

What I could find was an old posting on the web:

"2N87Y. This is a severely overgrown road/trail between 2N02 and the Erwin Lake area running north to south from 2N02, and east to west on a ridge into the Irwin Lake residential area (~2 miles long). 2N87Y is not shown on the USFS map, and is a road located ~ 1/2 mile west of the PCT (shown on the map), and the local identifier is "Deadmans Ridge". There is a climb when running north to south that is long and severly lose shale, requiring lockers and momentum, and a left hand turn ~3/4 of the way up. Going down the hill is easy. Deadmans Ridge runs east/west and is severely overgrown, with brush choking the road to single track width"

Black diamond, maybe?
                              "run forest, run!"

Comment

Working...
                              X