Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So.... it doesn't quite rock yet, but it has loads of potential

I was lured here by one of the installation articles by jccj7. It was as if he had my CJ7, with only a few minor differences. If you are still around, I'd like to pick your brain about your swap.

My CJ7 is a '78. She ("Betty") has a 304 with a mild cam, Edelbrock aluminum intake, a Holley Truck Avenger carb and Hedman headers (needs exhaust). The carb is a bit big at 670 CFM, so I might swap it for the 470 CFM later or, if I come into some unforeseen $$$, a TBI fuel injection kit. I have an MSD 6AL that will eventually take care of the spark. Also needs brakes and lines, fuel tank and fuel lines.

The tranny is a T18 ( not sure from what) with a Dana 20 t-case. I had hoped for a Dana 300, but that will need to wait. I plan on removing the tranny and t-case, doing a thorough inspection and replacing all the necessary bearings and seals. It currently has no drive shafts, due to the swap of the tranny and t-case. Those I will probably get from Tom Woods.

I bought it with Dana 44s that came from a '78 Scout II. They have (according to the tag) 3.73 gears in them riding on 35" Procomp tires. That seems a bit high for the gearing, so they will likely need to be changed. When doing the axle swap, the PO didn't outboard the spring hangers correctly. On the front, the springs are not straight. By that I mean that they are set more narrow at the main hangers (28.25" on center) to the axles at the stock Scout II width (31") to the shackle mounts (31.5"). This causes the shackles to lean outward at the bottom.

[CENTER][/CENTER]

While doing the swap, the PO decided to do a stretch as well. Not a bad idea, but again, not executed well. The rear hangers are about 4.75 inches too close to each other, which causes the rear shackles to rest up against the frame, which was rebuilt.

[CENTER][/CENTER]

I will have to move the rear main eye hangers forward to correct the length. Moving them forward by 4.75" will still leave me with a wheelbase of 100". Yes, I know that the open frame rail doesn't look too sturdy. It was tied in with the rear bumper, which the PO cut off to sell. Lucky for me, that sale fell through, so I got this beastly bumper. Just have to weld it back on. The thing weighs about 60 lbs.

[CENTER][/CENTER]

Other than that, it needs the usual body rust repair, but not too bad. Just a few small spots in front of the doors and underneath needs a good wire brushing and maybe some new sheet metal and undercoating. Dash plates could use replacing and I'm sure the switches, vent/heater controls need some work.

But hey, if it was easy, everybody would be driving one, right?

[CENTER]
    Betty hanging with the ducks.[/CENTER]

Welcome to MJR. Love seeing people keeping and building their CJ's.
    Check out .

Comment

Looks like you got a little work ahead of you just yet. By the way welcome, oh yeah don't look at Chucky's / Dirtman13's CJ to much, You'll drool and end up spending some more coin

Comment

Thanks for the welcome. I have bigger plans, but those are the long-term.

Comment

Sweet! Will be looking forward to your progress
          [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
          www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

I like CJ-7s almost as much as I like ducks! Sounds like your Jeep is almost a Scout II trapped inside a Jeep's body. The T-18/ Dana 20 combo ain't bad at all. It's badass old iron, actually, and I love it. So what's your vision for it?
            holes = cowbell

Comment

Welcome! You're in great company here. Scouts did come with 3.73s with some of the International 304s (not the same a AMC 304). You've got some good parts to start with.
              God forgives, rocks don't
              -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
                I like CJ-7s almost as much as I like ducks! Sounds like your Jeep is almost a Scout II trapped inside a Jeep's body. The T-18/ Dana 20 combo ain't bad at all. It's badass old iron, actually, and I love it. So what's your vision for it?
                I love rock crawlers, but that may or may not happen. All of our rocks turned to dirt long, long ago and I don't live on the west coast anymore. Virginia is nice though. First things first, correct the frame deficiencies, make sure everything is good and solid and make the drivetrain and electrical system reliable.

I plan on Rhino-lining the interior of the tub and have given thought to doing the outside too, but haven't made up my mind.

If I had crazy money, I would go with this:

It will more than likely be less than that.

Comment

Sounds like a good plan. I'd think anything you could do to keep the body and frame from rusting out would be worthwhile out there. From what I've seen of VA, the high ground is just above water level.
                  holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
                    From what I've seen of VA, the high ground is just above water level.
                    I'm from the bumpy side. :wink:

Comment

Welcome to MJR! You've stumbled into the best Jeepin' website on the planet!
                      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                      MJR moderator
                      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                      Jeep Patrol Leader
                      Reforestation Supervisor
                      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                      Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by boctok View Post
                        I'm from the bumpy side. :wink:
                        Gotcha
                        holes = cowbell