Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Geebo View Post
    Welcome to the MJR site.. you have wandered into a really GOOD bunch of folks ..hope to meet ya on a run really soon..Geeb/Geebo
    From the time I've spent looking around here so far, I'd have to say I agree.

Looking forward to getting out on the trails with you guys one of these days (have a 1 month old at home so I'm not getting out of the house much right now).

Rob

Comment

Nice kneebuster, here is mine that i sold last year, before i got a jeep. weclome to mjr

"It's Not Rocket Surgery"

Comment

Originally posted by lakev2 View Post
        Nice kneebuster, here is mine that i sold last year, before i got a jeep. weclome to mjr

That is simply awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by robk View Post
          That is simply awesome.
          It was a metric shitton of work is what it was lol. 77 chevy frame sectioned/shortened 10inch. fabricated body mounts, fabricated spring hangers. 383 stroker with fuel injection, b&m th 400.

once i had it finished and had it on a few trails realized i wanted a jeep to better fit the kids and smaller for the trails.
          "It's Not Rocket Surgery"

Comment

rob you gotta post up some pics of the places you have gone when you get a chance. i bet youve got some really cool stuff. got any favorite mines?
            KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy162 View Post
              rob you gotta post up some pics of the places you have gone when you get a chance. i bet youve got some really cool stuff. got any favorite mines?
              Favorite? Allison Mine up in San Gabriel Canyon. No pictures though; last time I was there not only did I forget my HT and camera, I ran into a damn black bear (this was on the section west of Heaton Saddle; if you've been there you know there is no option to go up or down, just forward or backward) Thankfully the bear didn't want to "play". What was worse, was the return trip knowing I'd have to go right back through the same area. And what a nightmare to get up there; it's not an easy hike unless you're a serious hiker. Also the Big Horn -- we've spent hours upon hours exploring it and still haven't seen all of it.

Around here I'd have to say Blackhawk/Santa Fe and Rose Mine/Lone Valley/Round Valley/Rattlesnake Canyon area mines.

There is also another little complex of mines just east of 247 right before it jogs north and heads up toward Goat Mountain pass. Last time I was there, there was actually an entire VW Rabbit or Golf or similar (couldnt tell) in one of the shafts.

Looking down at an angle

This doesn't appear to belong here

This appears to be the main adit at this complex. The metal in the foreground used to be the shelter outside of the portal (looks like a massive tube that they buried partially) but the ground has collapsed around it. This adit goes in at about a 30 degree for 50 feet or so before you hit water. It's almost large enough to drive a truck into.

I believe it's a tungsten mine but can't locate any information on it. The remains of the mill on the site appears to be somewhat modern (mid 1900s probably).

Can't forget the Mohawk either. Not much there and not much of a challenge to get to but it doesn't appear to get a whole lot of visitors. Haven't had a chance to explore more than a few feet inside.

From above

Just inside the portal

Thunderstorm over the Ord Mtns

I'd really like to get out and explore the Death Valley area, and even more so the Black Mountains just east of Bullhead City AZ (around Oatman). If you look at a topo of the Oatman area, it's almost unbelievable how many mines are actually marked on the map. I think most of us know from experience that where the USGS shows a mine or two, there are usually quite a few more that aren't on the map for whatever reason.

I've been working on getting my photo collection up on the Internet for the last few months and will certainly share more once I get them a little more organized.

Rob
              Last edited by robk; 04-10-10, 06:32 PM.

Comment

great pictures!
                the death valley tecopa mines are on my list of things to see.

big horn really is a cool one. i wish it wasnt so tagged up and well known. we saw two groups in the mine and 3 more on the access trail
                KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy162 View Post
                  great pictures!
                  the death valley tecopa mines are on my list of things to see.

big horn really is a cool one. i wish it wasnt so tagged up and well known. we saw two groups in the mine and 3 more on the access trail
                  It's amazing how trashed the Big Horn has gotten over the past decade (easy to see why it's so popular though). Some of the workings deep within the mine are breathtaking in terms of the size and depth.

I've never been out around 29 Palms/Joshua Tree to see the mines out that way. Next on my list. Death Valley too.

Rob

Comment

I'd like to see the manson farm I've heard is in CA and has a fairly challenging trail to get there..Love the pictures!!
                    Sarcasm is my body's natural response to stupid.

Comment

Rob,

Welcome to MJR! You will like it here for sure. I've been to
                      75+ mines just in the Ord's / Fry's area alone. Going to Jacoby Canyon and Heartbreak Ridge today to check out a few in Big Bear area. We need to talk one day and compare notes. The mine shaft with the car in it looks like the One Ton Mine off Hwy 247 north of Lucerne. There is a bunch of stuff in that area to explore.

Mitch

Comment

Working...
                      X