Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member in Big Bear

Found this site while searching for info on the Blackhawk Mine near Lucerne; added some of my own information to the thread in Off-Topic and already met some really interesting folks.

I've been 4-wheeling for years in the Lucerne Valley and San Bernardino mountains in my F250 (I get lots of sideways looks when I stuff that beast through narrow corners and even narrower trails) but now that I'm "local" to the area I'm interested in putting together a capable trail rig that can actually handle some serious trails.

I'm a big fan of local mining history; love to track down and locate mines and document everything I find in hopes that it'll save some of our history for future generations to enjoy.

Hope to meet some of you in person soon!

Rob

Welcome to MJR Rob.
    Dennis and Tammy
    Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]There are several on this forum that do a lot of mine exploring. Check out the posts in the trail report section.
      mk[/COLOR]

Comment

Welcome aboard, you will love this site.
        I'll keep my money, guns and freedom...you can keep the "Change".

Comment

Welcome to MJR Rob. You'll find there's quite a few of us that enjoy the history of the area and the area mines. A gaggle of us live in the High Desert and go out almost every weekend. I think you will really like this forum!
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

Thanks, everybody, for the warm welcome.

I checked out the trip reports section and I've visited quite a few of those places (although a lot of my exploring was on foot as my vehicle isn't up to the task of handling the more rugged trail sections).

I'm trying to work a deal with a friend of mine to buy an old jeepster commando from him (needs some front end and engine work, but i have a perfectly good 360 sitting around that I've read will bolt right in).

One of these days when I get a little free time on the weekend I'll try to catch up on one of the easier trips.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
              Welcome to MJR Rob. You'll find there's quite a few of us that enjoy the history of the area and the area mines. A gaggle of us live in the High Desert and go out almost every weekend. I think you will really like this forum!
              he said gaggle lol

I think an f250 can be a very capable trail rig depending on short bed long bed etc.I loved wheeling my old full size chev. You'll love the site and there is always a group meeting up for something.
              Sarcasm is my body's natural response to stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by ocTJ View Post
                he said gaggle lol

I think an f250 can be a very capable trail rig depending on short bed long bed etc.I loved wheeling my old full size chev. You'll love the site and there is always a group meeting up for something.
                You know -- I've taken it in places that got some interesting looks from the guys in fully built up Jeeps

It's a 4-door short-bed so while it's not the longest truck out there, I've definitely encountered some corners that were out of the question because they were simply too tight.

I've taken it through Round Valley/Rattlesnake Canyon (from west to east, didn't make it all the way); Jacoby Canyon (top to bottom); up to the Gold Belt mine (hung a tire over the side on that one according to my passenger, who didn't bother to inform me until *after* we made it through the section); Tip Top; and quite a few other somewhat rough trails (at least to a guy in an F-250).

Rob

Comment

LOL,sounds like you wheel what ya got thats cool!We had a noob follow us up Cleghorn one time in a,think it was a 06',F-250 diesle.He did great for a 1'st timer.Sounds like you found a very cool project,hope to see ya out there soon.
                  Last edited by GP4Play; 04-08-10, 10:02 AM.
                  Dennis and Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by GP4Play View Post
                    LOL,sounds like you wheel what ya got thats cool!We had a noob follow us up Cleghorn one time in a,think it was a 06',F-250 diesle.He did great for a 1'st timer.Sounds like you found a very cool project,hope to see ya out there soon.
                    Uh oh Dennis, dont go starting that. We all know what happened to Joe after that first run.

Welcome to MJR. Post up some pics of your rig vintage K5's are suhweet!
                    An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by 2blk2drs View Post
                      Uh oh Dennis, dont go starting that. We all know what happened to Joe after that first run.

Welcome to MJR. Post up some pics of your rig vintage K5's are suhweet!
                      Here it is....

I had plans to convert to power steering, drop in a big V8 & new trans/transfer case, have some custom springs and drive shafts made.... However, I'm the third owner and it's all original (besides the wheels) and it seems like these trucks are getting kind of rare, so i think I'm going to leave it alone.

Story is this truck belonged to a guy who spent a lot of time out in the Mojave Desert prospecting. He'd put it into 1st gear, tie off the steering wheel, and walk along side the truck and throw any interesting rocks into the bed.

Comment

too cool
                        An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by 2blk2drs View Post
                          too cool
                          X2,thats a great look'n ole truck
                          Dennis and Tammy

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Welcome to the MJR site.. you have wandered into a really GOOD bunch of folks ..hope to meet ya on a run really soon..Geeb/Geebo
                              "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

Working...
                              X