Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey I'm new and wondering what-to-do

I have a 1990 Jeep Cherokee Laredo and completely open to advice on what to do to my jeep to make it fit for complete off-roading. My jeep is stock and would like engine and body tips such as what is the best engine and its specs and suspension/lift kits and all. Thanks

[COLOR="Sienna"]First off, welcome to MJR. I don't know if you've cruised around the site much but there are a lot of knowlegeable people here to work out what exactly you need. I think the first thing you're going to hear is: "Take it out and wheel it stock for a while." Then you'll get to know your rig, what you want to do for different modifications. Check the trail ride section out, go on some outings with others and get a feel for it. On second thought, you may not want to drive to CA for trail rides huh? I still recommend taking it out and wheeling it.

Second, remember it's a work in progress...forever. I'm always seeing different things on different rigs that I want to do with my YJ. There are some pretty badass XJ & ZJ's here. Many built over years of time, sweat and sacrifice. Of course there are a couple folks here, that if you cut them a hefty check, you'll have a rig ready for anything in just a few short months. I recommend wheeling first.

Again, welcome.
    [/COLOR]
    Last edited by USMC 0369; 09-15-09, 06:58 PM. Reason: I just noticed the "Aurora, CO" location.
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Welcome aboard Taylor, you'll like MJR! The nicest bunch of Jeepers anywhere, that's for sure! Let's see some pic's of your Jeep!

Scptt
      "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Thanks

Ya, i have been on minor runs such as mudding and minor terrain with my jeep in a vacant lot where most 4wheelers in my area go but what do i do with my jeep after i get it in perfect running shape. Do i keep the inline 4liter 6cyl engine and modify it or what. And what type of body work such as bumpers, lift and suspension. thanks for the advice so far and i will get pix in the next day or two

Comment

Welcome to MJR! Nick (USMC O369) has the best advice for you! Be patient, learn to drive your rig as is and study, study, study, all the options you could do to your Cherokee
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

Taylor,

Welcome to MJR! You will have fun on this site. There is lots of advice and help to be had here. As you have noticed in the previous posts, by far the best way to get into Jeeping is to wheel your Jeep like it is for awhile. After using it on different types of terrain, you will start to get a feel for it. Then you can upgrades parts as you feel that something is lacking or preventing you from a trail challenge. Some just start buying everything they see on other Jeeps and don't take the time to learn to use what they have, just spending lots of money for the heck of it. I'm always amazed at what a stock Jeep will do! Well have fun and enjoy your Cherokee.

Mitch

Comment

Ok

ok. what kind of wheelin do u recommend with a stock jeep cherokee without being too straneous. kind of test my limits?

Comment

I use to live in Aurora myself back in the late 90's. I wheeled Webster Pass, Red cone, twin lakes, and a few runs along old stage coach road coming out of cripple creek.

They are all good trails and lots of fun. There is a map store in downtown Denver that has all of the off road maps for the area for a small fee. I don't remeber the address, but could drive right to it.

Play around Websters pass for awhile, it has mild to semi wild and is a good place to cut your teeth. Another fun set of trails is behind Leadville, lots of old gold mines and ghost towns.

Comment

Taylor,

First you should have another vehicle with you. Go find a rocky area to play in, drive over 12" - 18" rocks and get use to the way it feels tipping to the side. Remember that a "tall Jeep" leans more than a stock height Jeep. Go find a nice hill to climb, do the tires loose traction, put in 4low and try it again, then try it after lowering your tire air pressure (if you have a way to refill it). Try 16-18 lbs. Can you tell the difference? Just do some fun little tests like that when you are out. Play in a sandy area or a wash. Get a ride in a modified Jeep sometime, the steering will be different, the ride quality will be different...... Remember that alot of the modifications are "cause and effect". Bigger tires usually means a lift so that they fit under the fenders, also bigger tires affect your gearing (less power). So just enjoy it and read up on basic mod's and weigh the cost vs what it will do for you. Then send us some pictures!

Comment

Alright, cool cool. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by grolla42 View Post
                      ok. what kind of wheelin do u recommend with a stock jeep cherokee without being too straneous. kind of test my limits?
                      I would buy Charles Wells book on Colorado back roads -

Link - Guide to Colorado back roads

I have the same book for Southern California written by the same author. He does a great job of describing trails in your area as easy, moderate, and difficult. Find another person / rig to go wheeling with so you are not alone, and test your jeep out. Then you will learn what you want to start doing to your rig. Have fun !!
                      Kurt T.
                      94 ZJ, 4X4, 5.2, 31's, open diff's.

Comment

Originally posted by SmkSignals View Post
                        I would buy Charles Wells book on Colorado back roads -

Link - Guide to Colorado back roads

I have the same book for Southern California written by the same author. He does a great job of describing trails in your area as easy, moderate, and difficult. Find another person / rig to go wheeling with so you are not alone, and test your jeep out. Then you will learn what you want to start doing to your rig. Have fun !!
                        ^ I fixed one of the important parts by putting it in bold...
                        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

ALLRITE!!! Another Cherokee!!
                          "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"

Comment

Welcome aboard!

Comment

Welcome to MJR.:beer:
                              Dennis and Tammy
                              Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Working...
                              X