Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to MJR from another OC guy!
    "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

Welcome aboard Slim. Nice YJ.
      When you say you can't turn all they way to the right, have you checked the small bolt protruding off the passenger steering knuckle? It may be adjusted out too far.

Comment

Welcome to the madness . . . hope to see you out on the trail.
        That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
          Welcome aboard Slim. Nice YJ.
          When you say you can't turn all they way to the right, have you checked the small bolt protruding off the passenger steering knuckle? It may be adjusted out too far.
          I wish it was that easy. At first I thought it was that steering stop. It wasn't. Then I thought perhaps the stabilizer was bottoming out. It wasn't. The only thing left is the end of the pitman arm's travel. With the lift the geometry must have changed enough that it just doesn't make it all the way around. From what I've read the pitman arm only has a 90 degree range of motion. I just need like 3 splines more. It's a small amount and you can't see the difference just by looking at it, but you can definitely tell it doesn't turn to the right as much. I do a lot of unnecessary three point turns to the right

-Slim

Comment

Welcome aboard - your jeep rocks! I'm sure you'll find some friends here. See you on the trails!
            :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by SantaAnaSlim View Post
              The plan's to do the Lytle Creek Trail on Saturday. I've never been out there. From what I've read it's an easy trail. It's mostly just to take a nice drive.
              Hey Slim, I wish that I could join you for a run though the Lytle Creek area. It is a very nice place to explore. Not everything is two wheel drive, but most of it is and I have driven all of them alone (well, except that I was with Mr. Green). There are a LOT of trails in the area, so I recommend that you exit the I-15 at Sierra Ave and turn north on Lytle Creek Road.

Keep going until you reach the USFS Ranger Station on the right side of the road. Tell the really nice folks in the station that you want to explore the trails in the Lytle Creek area. They can provide you with maps (there may be a charge for the map, but trust me when I say it is worth it) and they seem to have a love for the area.
              [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
              Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
              [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                Hey Slim, I wish that I could join you for a run though the Lytle Creek area. It is a very nice place to explore. Not everything is two wheel drive, but most of it is and I have driven all of them alone (well, except that I was with Mr. Green). There are a LOT of trails in the area, so I recommend that you exit the I-15 at Sierra Ave and turn north on Lytle Creek Road.

Keep going until you reach the USFS Ranger Station on the right side of the road. Tell the really nice folks in the station that you want to explore the trails in the Lytle Creek area. They can provide you with maps (there may be a charge for the map, but trust me when I say it is worth it) and they seem to have a love for the area.
                Perfect, that's just what I needed to here. I stumbled on post in these boards about the yellow post sites up there and it made me want to check it out. We usually take it easy when we're alone. I'm getting the jeep ready for some harder stuff, but that'll have to wait until we make some new friends.

Thanks Everyone,
                -Slim

Comment

....but that'll have to wait until we make some new friends.

Thanks Everyone,
                  -Slim
                  I think you have already!
                  SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                  MJR moderator
                  MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                  Jeep Patrol Leader
                  Reforestation Supervisor
                  Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                  Eagle Scout

Comment

Come out to Summerfest on Saturday, then join us for the run up in the mountains on Sunday!!!
                    Come check out Summerfest, a place for all Jeeps June 27th! www.gotjk.com

Comment

I should be able to pull the arm off and move it over a couple of splines to get it to turn all the way.
                      As far as I know you cannot do this. I'm pretty sure the pitman arm is designed to only fit one way. Hopefully some other YJ guys can verify this just to be sure.

Welcome to MJR! Very nice looking YJ.
                      95 YJ
                      2.5L Low Output, 4.5" RE, 35" KM2's, D30 Aussie, 8.8, TeraLow 4:1, Outdoor Logic custom fab - Cage, Tube fenders, Sliders, and more.

Comment

Pitman arms are indexed. You need to make the adjustment in your drag link.

Comment

Welcome Slim!

Awesome looking Jeep and hope to wheel with you someday..

Drew-

This is our new toy. Picked it up three weeks ago and and have spent every day since then doing "something" to it. Here she is right now.

This is our first jeep. I don't know anyone that's into wheeling, so we have to take the trails alone. I can only carry so many spare parts. It'd be nice to meet some people and have some backup. We were thinking of going up the Lytle Creek Trail this Saturday if anyone's interested in meeting up.

-Slim
                          Drew
                          95yj Six Pack

Comment

Originally posted by sebastian22 View Post
                            As far as I know you cannot do this. I'm pretty sure the pitman arm is designed to only fit one way. Hopefully some other YJ guys can verify this just to be sure.

Welcome to MJR! Very nice looking YJ.
                            Ewww... You bring up an interesting point. I didn't think about that. I don't know if there's enough thread on the drag link to adjust it as much as I need. I think I need the drop pitman arm to really do this correctly, though it doesn't really matter, because I just cannot get it off. After I broke the first puller, I got another one but the screw shaft has a mushroom head on it, so I can only use a wrench to tighten it. Not nearly enough leverage with just a wrench. I'll adjust the drag link as much and see if that get's me where I need to be... I'm such a retard for not thinking about that. Duh...

Thanks,
                            Slim

I think we might just make an appearance at JK Fest (it's right around the corner) and maybe swing up to Silverwood Sunday.

Comment

Ewww... You bring up an interesting point. I didn't think about that. I don't know if there's enough thread on the drag link to adjust it as much as I need. I think I need the drop pitman arm to really do this correctly, though it doesn't really matter, because I just cannot get it off. After I broke the first puller, I got another one but the screw shaft has a mushroom head on it, so I can only use a wrench to tighten it. Not nearly enough leverage with just a wrench. I'll adjust the drag link as much and see if that get's me where I need to be... I'm such a retard for not thinking about that. Duh...

Thanks,
                              Slim

I think we might just make an appearance at JK Fest (it's right around the corner) and maybe swing up to Silverwood Sunday.

I will be doing some steering changes in a couple weeks, and as long as my drop pitman arm comes off in one piece, you can have it. If you dont mind destroying your old arm, you can take a grinder make a cut on each side of it being very careful not to nick the splines on the steering box.

like this...

If it still does not come off, spray a bunch of PB Blaster on it.
                              95 YJ
                              2.5L Low Output, 4.5" RE, 35" KM2's, D30 Aussie, 8.8, TeraLow 4:1, Outdoor Logic custom fab - Cage, Tube fenders, Sliders, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by sebastian22 View Post
                                I will be doing some steering changes in a couple weeks, and as long as my drop pitman arm comes off in one piece, you can have it. If you dont mind destroying your old arm, you can take a grinder make a cut on each side of it being very careful not to nick the splines on the steering box.

like this...

If it still does not come off, spray a bunch of PB Blaster on it.
                                I've been hosing it down with PB Blaster and spacking it around with a hammer. My first puller broke and the second one only allows me to put a wrench on there. If I had another arm lined up I'd have no problem cutting if off. Keep me posted if you end up with an extra drop arm.

Thanks,
                                Slim

Comment

Working...
                                X