Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey!

Doesnt anyone use MGRS anymore? How am I supposed to figure out this Lat-Long garbage? That's for pilots and ship captains!

Actually, this is a great thread, I was looking for something like this!!! Although I can't exactly use this info right now. Are there ratings for trails... like the ones used for downhill skiing? Like black diamond ratings, to let you know what kind of clearance you'll need, skill levels and the like?

:: edit :: SMACKING SELF ON FOREHEAD. SCROLL DOWN IDIOT! :: edit ::
    Last edited by USMC 0369; 03-13-05, 11:33 PM.
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by clarksinca
      Doesnt anyone use MGRS anymore? How am I supposed to figure out this Lat-Long garbage? That's for pilots and ship captains!

Actually, this is a great thread, I was looking for something like this!!! Although I can't exactly use this info right now. Are there ratings for trails... like the ones used for downhill skiing? Like black diamond ratings, to let you know what kind of clearance you'll need, skill levels and the like?

:: edit :: SMACKING SELF ON FOREHEAD. SCROLL DOWN IDIOT! :: edit ::
      Hehe, glad you enjoyed. Also be sure to check out the MAPS/COORDS page, and we are working on also adding trail pages to the gallery with reviews, reports, etc. Stay tuned! And of course, if you have any input or suggestions, we're open to hearing them.
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

what about using forest service road numbers for directions (when possible)...for those of use who dont believe in GPS!

is it legal to use dry creek beds as trails??? thats what we did back in AZ>>> :shades: I think i need to go on a trail scouting trip to add to that little list on the maps and coords page
        87' XJ "Gnarly"

To some ! it's a six-pack, to me it's a Support Group. Salvation in a can!
        ~ Dave Howell

Comment

Originally posted by Nate
          what about using forest service road numbers for directions (when possible)...for those of use who dont believe in GPS!

is it legal to use dry creek beds as trails??? thats what we did back in AZ>>> :shades: I think i need to go on a trail scouting trip to add to that little list on the maps and coords page
          I would imagine they could add the Forest Servce road designations (Sarah - if you don't have the explanation I can write up a short paragraph on how FS road numbers are generated).

As far as the second question - ABSOLUTELY NOT. Travel in the SBNF is limited to POSTED/Designated roads only.
          Jeff
          OHV76V
          KG6TY
          You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart
            - if you don't have the explanation I can write up a short paragraph on how FS road numbers are generated).
            Now *that* sounds interesting :beer:
            "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Originally posted by old fart
              (Sarah - if you don't have the explanation I can write up a short paragraph on how FS road numbers are generated).
              It has been explained to me before but I'm sure you can explain it better I'd be happy to post it on the site. As for the numbers, if there is any place I've missed posting one, please let me know! We will have Holcomb Creek tracks up soon, provided the GPS didn't mess up.

Comment

Originally posted by sarah
                It has been explained to me before but I'm sure you can explain it better I'd be happy to post it on the site. As for the numbers, if there is any place I've missed posting one, please let me know! We will have Holcomb Creek tracks up soon, provided the GPS didn't mess up.

I'll try to get something to you by the first of next week - scrambling to add three checkpoint lanes into Terminal 1 by Friday :tongue:
                Jeff
                OHV76V
                KG6TY

Comment

Ok, checkpoint is in service (MUCH shorter lines for Southwest!), here's my "paragraph"

Ok, lets see if I can make sense (Electrical engineer, explaining Land Surveyor/Civil engineering – might not be good).

First, you start off with a point. I always have a point, sometimes it’s hard to see. I have several ex-wives that can attest to this!

This point will be the basis for all government surveys in the area it controls, and its latitude and longitude are fixed by astronomical observations. From this initial point, a Principal Meridian is run north and south on a line that would intersect the poles, and a Base Line is run east and west on a parallel of latitude. The Principal Meridian controls survey lines east and west, and the Base Line is the north and south control.

Land is broken into Sections, Townships and Ranges, all based on the Principal Meridian and the Baseline. In our case, the Principal Meridian runs through San Bernardino (north/south), and the Baseline is….Baseline Street!

Because of the curvature of the earth, additional lines called Guide Meridians are run every 24 miles east and west of the principal Meridian. Other lines, called Standard Parallels, are run every 24 miles north and south of the Base Line. The parallels north of the Base Line are designated First Standard Parallel North, Second Standard Parallel North, and so forth, and those south as the First Standard Parallel South, Second Standard Parallel, and so on. Standard Parallels are also called correction lines.

North and south lines are next run on true meridian from Standard Parallels and 6 miles apart, marking the survey area into strips 6 miles wide called ranges which are numbered east and west from the Principal Meridian. Similar lines are run at every 6 mile point north and south of the Base Line, and parallel with the Base Line, dividing the ranges into 6 mile squares called townships. The first township north of the Base Line and east of the Principal Meridian is identified as Township 1 North, Range 1 East, the second township north of the Base Line as Township 2 North, Range 1 East, and so on.

Getting back to the trail numbers, 3N69 “starts” in the third “Township” (or 18 miles, 3x6) North of Baseline. The number (69) is a simple progression. The “N” or “S” indicate what Township the trail starts in, and by that you can tell whether the trail is North or South of the Baseline (in our case, Baseline!) N/S trails are either 4x4 or 50” trails (quads, motorcycles). There are also “E” and “W” trails, (named for the Range in which they start, so East or West of the Principle Meridian) which are generally Hiking trails – but occasionally you’ll see a “E” or “W” motorcycle trail. These are less than 50”, so quads are not legal on them.

“X” and “Y” are “connecting/joining” major trails, other letters are “spurs”.

There will be a test on Monday…….
                  Jeff
                  OHV76V
                  KG6TY

Comment

That's the best explanation I've heard yet. Thanks for posting

Comment

No problem Sarah. Some of it is from a link I have bookmarked, most from the MAP/Compass/GPS class I took in May.
                      Jeff
                      OHV76V
                      KG6TY

Comment

Shaver Lake 4X4 Trails

Shaver Lake 4x4 Trails

Swamp Lake Trail

Spanish Trail

Red, Coyote, West, Strawberry, & Mirror Lake Trails

Dusy-Ershim Trail

Brewer Lake Trail

Bald Mountain Trail
                        Joe Rojas
                        1994 Jeep Cherokee

Comment