Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organized Event: MJR Adopt-A-Trail News

Those of you who have been on this forum for any amount of time may or may not know that MJR supports the San Bernardino National Forest's Adopt-A-Trail program whole-heartedly, and have been doing so for years. In the beginning we had adopted 2N84 and its spurs, also called Little Bear Peak. We also adopted 3N93, Holcomb Creek in 2007. Shortly after that the Butler fires burned huge tracts of forest in the back country, including both of our trails, which the forest service closed for safety reasons.

Since that time, the MJR group has been working with the forest service, the CDF hotshots from Ventura and Big Bear, with other groups of the AAT program, and with many other volunteers. We've been putting in massive amounts of time and effort, and some of us have been certified by the forest service to operate machinery on National Forest land. All in an effort to get our beloved trails opened again. And as you probably know, after three + years of closure, we opened Holcomb Creek this Summer. A task that all the experts said was impossible. We also helped get the 2N06X connector, Lower Larga opened as well.

Over the years we have received many awards for our efforts, but for some reason, we have never announced this on the public forums here. We apologize for this lapse. We want everyone on this thread to know what is going on in our National Forest, what volunteers are doing to keep these public lands open for all of us to enjoy, and hopefully spur interest in the Adopt-A-Trail program in order to get more folks out helping to keep the sport we love alive.

So, last weekend was the AAT annual BBQ and awards picnic held at the Discovery Center in Big Bear. It's always a great event with cook off challenges, raffles and more. This year they are giving away a brand new Jeep. Pretty cool. The awards are given for most hours for a club, special awards for most hours for an indivdual, a Conservation award for making a positive impact on the environment.

For a few years now MJR has won the Most Club hours award, won many individual awards, and this year for the second time we recieved the Conservation award. I am most proud of this, as it shows we are out there making the trails safe, not just for us but, more importantly for the creatures and the environment. We came in third in hours this year, and it was tight contest. Second to third place was one hour difference. There are a lot of very active clubs out there working to keep the forest open for everyone.

So, next time you are out in the SBNF, or anywhere for that matter, if you see a Jeep with an Adopt-A-Trail sticker or sign on it, say hello. We like to hear from offroaders about thier experiences in the forest.

If you are interested in getting involved, PM Sarah, MJR Admin and ask for the details. It's fun, interesting and extremely rewarding. And thanks for being here on MJR.
    Stay tuned as we will keep updating the progress of our efforts.
    Last edited by sarah; 10-03-11, 12:13 PM. Reason: added paragraphs
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Here is a video we showed to the Forest Superintendent during one of our meetings trying to get Holcomb open.

Check out .

Comment

And the AAT Newsletter with an article about the opening of Holcomb.
      Check out .

Comment

Well said Kurt.

This is a give back to the forest program and it doesn't take much if we all give a little back. My teenage daughter realized these hours donated might look good on college applications. Who'd a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Black & Tan TJ
          My teenage daughter realized these hours donated might look good on college applications. Who'd a thought.
          Both of my daughters needed community service to graduate high school, and volunteering fot the AAT Program helped
          2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
          Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

I appreciate all the hours and hard work you guys have put into these trails. Just wondering though what kind equipment are you guys trained on?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
              I appreciate all the hours and hard work you guys have put into these trails. Just wondering though what kind equipment are you guys trained on?
              Within the AAT program there are people trained in the operation of back hoes, Sweco bulldozers, dump trucks, chain saws. You have to get a certification to operate any equipment on FS land if you are working for the FS.

Comment

I'd love to help, if I can! Will contact Sarah
                [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
                  I'd love to help, if I can! Will contact Sarah
                  That's awsome daniel. Thank you.

Comment

I've been watching this thread and see there have been over two hundred views but only a couple of replies. I'm hoping we see some more replies here from the forum; one of the reasons I put this up was to inform our regular forum users of the progress we make and to give all here on the forum a sense of ownership in something really good for us all. It would be nice to know what you all think about the program, if you think it is working, if you are happy to see what is being done to keep our trails open. Don't be afraid to speak up. That's what this is all about. That and having fun!
                    Thanks,

Comment

Me personally, I love the program and wish I can participate more often. I attended two clean up events on Holcomb and the it felt really good to know that we are contributing effort to help keep trails open. I always read the threads on MJR trail crews but I don't input if I can't make it. Being a salesman in the car business, we don't get too many weekends off otherwise I would attend more events. The fact that I have a little one on the way does not free up much time either.

In regards to my thoughts on the program, I think it is a very important program and more people should get involved. The only real issue is that many people don't know how to get involved or where to enroll. Last year, I always heard Art talk about clean-ups on Holcomb but I never knew how to get involved. One day, I came across a thread on the forum that talked about getting involved and how to sign up so i emailed Sarah and that was that. I have phootages from the trail clean up but have not posted any videos due to not being sure what i can and can not show. I would love to get that video edited and posted on youtube to make the public more aware of what goes into keeping trails open and the danger we face of losing them if only a few are the ones cleaning up.

I'm not sure if my reply hits the nail on the head, but these are my two cents on the topic. It's a great program!

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

Yeeeppp! Bash, your post hits the nail right smack dab on the head.
                        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                        MJR moderator
                        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                        Jeep Patrol Leader
                        Reforestation Supervisor
                        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                        Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by MrBash View Post
                          In regards to my thoughts on the program, I think it is a very important program and more people should get involved. The only real issue is that many people don't know how to get involved or where to enroll. Last year, I always heard Art talk about clean-ups on Holcomb but I never knew how to get involved. One day, I came across a thread on the forum that talked about getting involved and how to sign up so i emailed Sarah and that was that. I have phootages from the trail clean up but have not posted any videos due to not being sure what i can and can not show. I would love to get that video edited and posted on youtube to make the public more aware of what goes into keeping trails open and the danger we face of losing them if only a few are the ones cleaning up.
                          That was one of the reasons behind this post. We would like to see more people participate. We all have a lot a things on our plates and we just help out when we can. It all adds up and it is all appreciated. Thank you for participation.

As for the video. If you have any questions about what to put in it (or not) let me know.
                          Check out .

Comment

Pictures from this year's AAT Awards Banquet

Just wanted to share some pictures from this year's AAT picnic/banquet...

A shot of the raffle tent...

Folks lining up for the grub...

Sarah with ear to ear grins after receiving the MJR plaque!

Kurt accepting his award...

Our "chainsaw certified" guru

Ryan after receiving his award

Sarah with one of the MJR trophies

MJR being recognized with the environmental Conservation Award!

We knew the day was going to be fantastic! Checkout this sunrise!
                            Regards,
                            Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

www.youtube.com/user/MyBrokenJeep

Comment

Thanks, Kurt, for the post - and great pics Randy! For anyone interested in the adopt-a-trail program, we invite you to read this post:
                              http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...-Adopt-A-Trail)

If you'd like to do more, please see this post:
                              http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...g-Get-Involved!

Remember, the world is run by those who show up! And many of us on this board have been having TONS of fun showing up everywhere over the past few years. We've proved that even a very small number of people can make a difference. You're next!
                              :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Working...
                              X