This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Online camp fire permits

Just a reminder that if you are planning a trip to a forest that allows camp fires you will need a permit. Here is a link to get them online.
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sequoia/pass...ire-index.html
    They are free. Take the short quiz and it will give you a link to the permit. Print it, sign it and carry it with you.
    Be safe out there.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Thanks for that link. I am going backpacking and I forgot I would need one of these to run my camp stove.

LOL my favorite question on the test:

4)Extinguish campfire with water, using the _____________________ method.

a)Drown, stir and feel
    b)Shake, rattle and roll
    c)Hit or miss
    d)Cut and run
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Thanks Kurt,was just talking about that last weekend.
      Dennis and Tammy
      Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Originally posted by GP4Play View Post
        Thanks Kurt,was just talking about that last weekend.

Yep, it's that time of year so I figured I'd post it up again
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Cool, I didn't even know they had the link to it. I always stopped by the ranger station to pick one up.

Thanks

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"] Kurt, does this include campground areas with fire rings? I've never had one before at a designated campground. [/COLOR]
            [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
            Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

CAMPFIRE PERMIT PAGE

You can help protect the National Forests from wildfires by knowing and following the rules for the safe use of fire. You must have a California Campfire Permit to use a stove, lantern, or campfire [COLOR="Red"]outside[/COLOR] a developed campground or recreation area. The permit is your agreement to follow the campfire restrictions and regulations in effect.
              John & Kristi

Comment

From my Training outline for our "Rules" class:

“You must obtain a California Campfire Permit if you plan to build a campfire in a yellow post site or use a stove, unless you are in a developed recreation area (campground or picnic area)( wood, charcoal and propane/gas stoves). Wood and charcoal fires are never permitted outside yellow post sites, picnic areas or campgrounds”

I'll find the weblink once the website gets out of "molasses" mode
                Jeff
                OHV76V
                KG6TY
                You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

"Wood or charcoal fires are permitted only in developed campgrounds, picnic areas and Yellow Post sites on the San Bernardino National Forest"
                  Source: http://fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinte...%20&%20Notices

Might be wise to check the current restrictions and condition of the forest you plan to visit.
                  Check out .

Comment

Yep, same thing I posted - just worded differently.

Inportant to note that no open fires are permitted in dispersed camping in the SBNF anymore. "Open Fires" are catagorized as anything that produces ash (wood, charcoal, coal (I actually got asked about coal once)
                    Jeff
                    OHV76V
                    KG6TY

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
                      Yep, same thing I posted - just worded differently.

Inportant to note that no open fires are permitted in dispersed camping in the SBNF anymore. "Open Fires" are catagorized as anything that produces ash (wood, charcoal, coal (I actually got asked about coal once)
                      Not permitted anymore as in never, ever again or anymore as in, until the fire danger is low????

Comment

Never, ever again. We (SBNF) were one of the last NF's that still allowed campfires in dispersed camping. USDA (Mom) put a lot of pressure on us to fix that (I think they threatned to withold our allowance)

Much as it inconvieniences people I know (were of course all RESPONSIBLE campfire users in DP), the other 99.9999999999999% of the folks were idiots when it came to fires
                        Jeff
                        OHV76V
                        KG6TY

Comment

I've always considered YP sites as "dispersed camping"... guess I need to update my files!

Comment

Shame on you!
                            Jeff
                            OHV76V
                            KG6TY

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
                              ...We (SBNF) were one of the last NF's that still allowed campfires in dispersed camping...
                              Jeff,

The Serria National forest still allows camp fires outside of developed campgrounds. Here's an excerpt from their web page:

"Can I camp in areas outside developed campgrounds?
                              You may camp outside of developed campgrounds in most parts of the Forest, at no cost. Potable water, toilets, and other amenities are not generally available. If you choose to camp outside developed areas, be sure to bring adequate water or be prepared to purify spring water before drinking. Water on the Sequoia National Forest may be contaminated with Giardia or other microorganisms. Also be sure you have a Campfire permits if you plan to build a fire, (italics mine)and a Wilderness Permit if you plan to spend the night in the Wilderness. Wherever you camp, be sure to Leave No Trace."

Even when they have fire restrictions they still have areas designated as fire safe where fires are still allowed. It is a very user friendly forest.
                              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                              MJR moderator
                              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                              Jeep Patrol Leader
                              Reforestation Supervisor
                              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                              Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
                              X