Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Status of Nightmare Gulch?

Hi guys, my club (SCLR.org) is planning a club run to Nightmare Gulch in November. I am doing a pre-run later this month.

Do you have any current status information on this trail? I have not run it since last year, and am a bit concerned about this one particular clump of rock that always looks like it’s going to let go at any time:

Also, how is the water crossing? Last year it was cake:

Any current information you can provide about this trail is very appreciated.

Regards,

Nathan Woods
    SCLR.org
    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Sure looks like a great trail. I gotta add it to my list.

Comment

This is a great trail, but the restrictions are the tough part to plan for. I haven't ran this trail since it closed last year. When we ran it last I could walk on the water crossing due to the frozen conditions. Yes, it was still easier than expected even then, but the mud is still cooked to some parts of my Jeep.

The web site doesn't give any details other than the windows that the trail is open to vehicles. I got my info from this link:
      http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=631

If you don't mind some Jeep company, post up when you are going and I would love to join you. This area is way cool!
      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
      [/COLOR]

Comment

Open to motor vehicles:
        July-January,
        second half of month.

Anyone have more info on the trail? Maps? GPS coords? Google search time!

Comment

Great… another trail to add to my list off must do. Looks like a fun one with lots of photo ops. Very scenic.
          Check out .

Comment

Same here we ran it with MJR crowd in Jan and it was a blast! When you guys run it post up so we can tag along
            2002 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V-8 3.5OME 5100 JK Rubi Rims

"Never argue with a fool they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Comment

Originally posted by Malachi View Post
              If you don't mind some Jeep company, post up when you are going and I would love to join you. This area is way cool!
              Sure, I'll make sure someone in my group has a winch for you :-)

Just kidding! I actually plan on bringing some less experienced folks in their shinny new LR3's through. I'm confident in the vehicles, not too concerned about the water, but I am genuinely worried about that big rock on the rim of the canyon. If it's come down, that trail is as good as closed.

I contacted the Ridgecrest Gear Grinders (I think they've adopted the trail) and appearantly none of them have gone through it yet this year. They asked me to let them know how it is!

So the date is the 20th, timing is that we will leave Jawbone station around 10:30am I figure. I will only have about 4 Land Rovers with me (including me), so there is room for a few others. It's not like you guys would slow us down any. Quite the contrary I expect! Like I said, I will be doing a lot of spotting and teaching for these newbies.

Here are more photos from my last time through (last December I think):
              http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?cat=24

Cheers,

NW

TreadLightly Trainer
              HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

if that rock comes down we will move it! who's adopt a trail is this one? we will overcome!!
                :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
                  So the date is the 20th

NW
                  20th of November? that is a Tuesday, do you mean october?
                  2000 XJ, 108k miles
                  33's, RE 4.5", 4.56

Comment

Originally posted by jeep-noob View Post
                    20th of November? that is a Tuesday, do you mean october?
                    Yes, sorry, not trying to be obtuse.
                    10-10:30am, Jawbone Station, October 20th

I should warn you all, though I am familar with the trail, I'm not very familar with how to get to the trail head. I'll get some better maps at Jawbone Station.

TreadLightly Trainer
                    HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

this run sounds fun... I'm gonna ask the boss if I can go...
                      :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

NWoods, the trailhead is off of the 14 on the right hand side, just past the turn on the left for Abbot Drive and Ricardo CG. Slow down at Abbot as you head up the hill, as it is just a small dirt road, not sure it is even marked, and it is easy to miss. Hope that helps.

Comment

Darn! The 20th is bad for me. But if things change at work, this will be my first option. The trail is amazing, and it reminds you why it is important to Tread Lightly.

As Bruce P said, it is near the Ricardo Campground. There is actually another way to the trail, but this one is the most interesting.
                          This is what the entrance looks like from the 14:

Over the hill, turn Right at the sign that points left to Blackrock Canyon (which is supposed to have some tough spots too). The trail winds through some cool terrain. After some small distance, look for the Birds of Prey signs and turn left into the area. The trail winds through open terrain and then enters a narrow canyon. This is the beginning of Nightmare Gulch.

Although the first pics are out of order, this is the link to the pics of the last time that we went:
                          http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...ulch/?start=20

Good Luck and please post pics!
                          [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                          Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                          [/COLOR]

Comment

[QUOTE=Malachi;86662]Darn! The 20th is bad for me. But if things change at work, this will be my first option. The trail is amazing, and it reminds you why it is important to Tread Lightly.

How about that sunday?? the 21st? Can we make it in 1 day???? I need to test out the RE lift.......
                            The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

Is anyone else going on the 20th? I got the day off work, and would like to hit this trail.

Comment

Working...
                              X