Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desert Front Trail 3N24

Back in April of 2006, when I first started Jeeping, a Ranger gave me a map and recommended that I try the Desert Front Trail from CA 138 over to Baldy Mesa. He marked the trail on the map and said that Cleghorn was also a good trail to start on.

Well I went to Cleghorn first, started playing on the side trails, and then moved on to harder things. I never did drive the Desert Front Trail.

Since today was such a beautiful day in the Inland Empire, I wanted to get outside and Jeepin' is my favorite outdoor activity. I grabbed my old map to see what was close by that I hadn't been on before. The little red markings from the Ranger that gave me the map jumped out at me. So what the heck? Sharon and took off for places yet to be traveled.

We exited I-15 at CA-138 and headed toward the Mormon Rocks. We turned off on 3N53 at the base of the rocks. After crossing a wash, we stopped to disconnect the sway bar:

The view of Mormon Rocks in the late afternoon was excellent:

3N53 soon started following the railroad tracks. There were some places that I really would not want to be in when a train came. The gravel was deep in places and the Jeep handled like it was deep sand:

We followed this trail over to the Baldy Mesa staging area. We then turned onto 3N21 and headed north on what was obviously a trail that was mostly used for ATVs and Motorcycles. We by-passed one section by making a quick hop over to 3N55, which parallels 3N21 for a while before it joins back into it.

Climbing up into the hills, we finally found 3N24, The Desert Front Trail:

Unfortunately, it was a bit hazy so the views were not crisp, but there are some good views of both the Cajon Canyon:

and the Mojave Desert:

The trail is easy, but definitely lends itself to ATVs and Motorcycles more than Jeeps. There are lots of side trails but all are clearly marked as NO JEEPS!:

I'd like to go back on a motorcycle or ATV. The side trails are almost all marked as moderate and there is at least one black diamond that we saw.

The toughest thing that the crossed on the main trail were some deep sand areas. One looked like this:

The signs on I-15 said that CA-138 was still closed, but when we got to the end of the trail, we saw that there was traffic on the 138:

So we took the 138 back down the canyon. Since we were making good time, we took 2N89 at the Lone Pine Road intersection. The trail follows the railroad to some great rock formations:

This is another trail with deep gravel and narrow spots that I would rather not share with a train. We made it to Swarthout Canyon Road, where we could cross the tracks, just before a train came. Swarthout Cyn dropped us out onto Kendall Road (Paved) and then we got back onto I-15 for the trip home.

It was a nice way to spend three hours on a beautiful afternoon. We never had to air down or even get out of two wheel drive, but it was still a nice distraction on trails that were new to us.

The rest of the photos can be viewed at this link:
    http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...-9-07/?start=0
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Mike,
    I ran both of those trails when I first bought the Rat. They're pretty cool. I was actually in that one squeeze area by the tracks when a freight train came through; you're right, it was hairy! There is another trail that takes off from 2N89 I beleive that goes back over the mountain to Lydle Creek. In the winter, with snow on the peaks, you get some stunning views.

Thanks for the report, as always they make me want to be out there with you.

Kurt
    Last edited by RAT; 09-10-07, 07:08 AM.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Hey Mike,

The third picture that you posted brought back some scary memories. I went through that area heading west from under the freeway. As I headed west I came to an area while the rock was the level to the tracks. I couldn't turn around and the rock was almost 2 feet deep. I locked the rear and hit 4 wheel and barely churned through. I could have touched a train if it came through!! Just as I approached the open area a train approached. The #3 engine was belching black smoke and making a god aweful noise. As I got as far away from the train as possible (20 feet) I starting seeing sparks and debris together with the belching smoke coming out of the exhaust as small fires were starting along the trains path. The train slowly died just past my location and came to a stop inside the narrow canyon that I was almost stuck in. I'll look for my pictures.

Nice photo's, I also was in the Cajon area on Sunday from 2pm - 4pm checking out my new 4x4 Posi Lock cable. No more failing
      vacuum actuator on the Dana 30!

Watch out for trains

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
        AAwwww! Ain't that jus' the cutest thang! It's a BABY Rat.

Cool pic! I gotta check out some more of the trails in the area. The ones that climbed the ridge away from the tracks were calling to me.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
          Hey Mike,

The third picture that you posted brought back some scary memories. I went through that area heading west from under the freeway. As I headed west I came to an area while the rock was the level to the tracks. I couldn't turn around and the rock was almost 2 feet deep. I locked the rear and hit 4 wheel and barely churned through. I could have touched a train if it came through!! Just as I approached the open area a train approached. The #3 engine was belching black smoke and making a god aweful noise. As I got as far away from the train as possible (20 feet) I starting seeing sparks and debris together with the belching smoke coming out of the exhaust as small fires were starting along the trains path. The train slowly died just past my location and came to a stop inside the narrow canyon that I was almost stuck in. I'll look for my pictures.

Nice photo's, I also was in the Cajon area on Sunday from 2pm - 4pm checking out my new 4x4 Posi Lock cable. No more failing
          vacuum actuator on the Dana 30!

Watch out for trains

Mitch
          Great story! I'm glad we missed getting 'squozen' in there with a train. I'd love to see your pics.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Malachi View Post
            AAwwww! Ain't that jus' the cutest thang! It's a BABY Rat.

Cool pic! I gotta check out some more of the trails in the area. The ones that climbed the ridge away from the tracks were calling to me.
            ha...i remember the "baby rat!"

speaking of trails climbing ridges, i know that there is one which is a dead-end but goes quite a ways up, and another which continues all the way through to the west and ends up connecting just north of the 210 freeway and would be a great overnight trip, as there is a campsite in the middle of it. the trail book said it's open starting late september of every year...possible weekend run?

great pics.
            03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

Great pics, if you ever decide to run these trails again please let me know as this is where I grew up and would love to run them again.

WYRD

Comment

Check out the train photo's on page 2 of my galley. I still laugh at the picture while I'm running for my life.

Mitch - great88

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                  Check out the train photo's on page 2 of my galley. I still laugh at the picture while I'm running for my life.

Mitch - great88
                  Cool stuff. I particularly like this photo of the aftermath of the train:

[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                  X