Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller Jeep Trail 7/28 or 29

Anyone interested in running the Miller Jeep Trail on Sat 7/28 or Sun 7/29? I've never been but have heard great things about it. Being a newbie, I'd love to meet up with some more experienced drivers/spotters that are willing to show me the ropes.

The Miller Jeep trail is located off of the 5 FWY (Grapevine) by Fraiser Park and Gorman. The map that the Ranger provided has it listed as difficult, but he was confident that my stock Rubi would make it without too much trouble . . . being alone I figured I'd brave it another day! I've heard there are some steep areas and lots of rocks.

Let me know if there's a better date, I'd just like to get up there soon!
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

There is a thread over at NAXJA forming for a Miller run. (So-Cal section) Check it out, you might be able to get in on it.

Comment

I'd change the rating on this trail run to "difficult". This trail is not necessarily a walk in the park even though the ranger said you could do it in a stock rubi. it's about 20 miles long and almost ALL uphill through rock gardens.

I also would not ever run a trail like this by yourself. if anything happens out there, you could be in deep doo-doo.

just my :2:
      Last edited by maddmike; 07-19-07, 02:14 PM.
      03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

Joe,

It's difficult, but no worse than the obstacles you ran last weekend, just longer and more of them. You will probably find some MJR folks to run with (I can't make it that weekend), but if not, just show up at the trailhead parking area (2.2 miles from Lockwood Valley Road) and wait for a group to come along, and ask them to let you join them. On a weekend, you won't have to wait long.
        If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
        KI6MLU

Comment

I'm the one trying to organize the NAXJA run. But I'll go with you. I wanted to pre-run it anyway. Plus I haven't been out with the MJR guys yet.

Comment

Hey Kraker (did I really just type that?!)

That would be awesome! Just let me know what day/time would be best for you. I'm in Chatsworth (Northwest side of the Valley) about an hour from the Fraiser Park exit. Which direction do you plan to go? I'll be up in Big Bear this Sunday going thru Dishpan (I think). . . can't wait!

maddmike - I had the trail listed as difficult, as both the book and map I have list it as such, not to mention the fact that I wussed out at the sight of the first climb from the Frasier Park side! May be an ego thing but I'd feel a bit sheepish posting a trail as easy and then telling the world that I was too scared to run it! So someone must have changed it and I've got no clue on how to change it back! Same thing happened on my last posting (Rowher) . . . am I doing something wrong?

Comment

I'm in the Valley too. Sherman Oaks. I guess Saturday would be best. I'll be in Big Bear too. I get up there Friday night and am leaving Sunday morning. Maybe I'll see you up there.

Comment

Kraker

Saturday would be perfect and seeing that you are right there in Sherman Oaks, we can either hook up somewhere on the way or up the hill. Just let me know what works best for you as I'm not picky and honestly am excited just to get out there!

I'll only be up in Big Bear for a day trip this Sunday . . . I'm in a Black Rubi with a soft top and tinted windows. If you see a guy with a red face and a goatee . . . that's probably me. Hope to see you up there!
                Last edited by Schmo; 07-19-07, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
                  maddmike - I had the trail listed as difficult, as both the book and map I have list it as such, not to mention the fact that I wussed out at the sight of the first climb from the Frasier Park side! May be an ego thing but I'd feel a bit sheepish posting a trail as easy and then telling the world that I was too scared to run it! So someone must have changed it and I've got no clue on how to change it back! Same thing happened on my last posting (Rowher) . . . am I doing something wrong?
                  schmo, you definitely had it correct then if you tried to post as difficult. sounds like a technical problem with the site? sarah?? :dunno:

PS IMO rowher is steeeeep...miller is steeep but only with 3 eee's. i know which hill you're talking about and it's pretty vertical. don't feel wussed out on that hill

Comment

Schmo

Maybe I'll see you on my way down. I'll be in a silver 01 XJ on 32's. Black rock rails and black CB antenna out back.

Comment

If it gets pushed to Sunday, 7/29, I'm 99%. Otherwise, I'll catch you next time.
                      Sandy Reshes
                      95 ZJ Laredo
                      05 Rubicon

Comment

my club is doing the run on saturday the 28th. we're meeting at Flying J's at 9am to top-off (some guys are meeting at Carl's Jr at 8:30 for breakfast) anyone is welcome to join us

Comment

Originally posted by maddmike View Post
                          schmo, you definitely had it correct then if you tried to post as difficult. sounds like a technical problem with the site? sarah?? :dunno:
                          that technical problem would be me.

in truth those trails would be more in the moderate range. easy for an experienced driver, kinda scary for a newby maybe, but not necessarily difficult.

difficult is more like the rubicon or some of the trails in moab, etc. a trail where stock vehicles would not be advised.

so, maybe I was wrong to switch it to easy. sorry about that.
                          myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ View Post
                            that technical problem would be me.
                            that explains why it's rated "easy".

it's all relative, i guess. :yay:

Comment

I might not be able to make the Miller Jeep Trail this weekend. :mad: Something came up and although I'm trying to get out of it, it's looking doubtful at this point.

Kraker - Sorry man, looks like there is a group meeting Saturday morning for you to join up with if you want to do a pre-run, but if you end up going another time, please let me know as Miller is definitely on my hit list!

Comment

Working...
                              X