• Show
Clear All

Very educational! Thanks Old Fart and Sarah! :thumbs_up :thumbs_up
    -Bob
    '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

Jeff's info was right on.

W & E designators simply mean that it is a trail 50" wide or less and it does not designate whether the trail is available for ATVs, MCs, equestrian or hiking use. There is a North Shore hiking trail designated 3W12 and there is also a 50" wide ATV/MC trail designated 3W12. Sometimes it can be very confusing.
      Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Check out this website
        http://forestwhisperer.16.forumer.com/
        for Big Bear Guidance and people to ride with. Forest Grump lives there and knows the conditions of all the trails and who is available.

http://forestwhisperer.16.forumer.com/

Comment

I amhearing that nothing is really Extreme in Big Bear, but especially with Kids, is it safe to say that I should stay away from the black diamond runs and go for the Blue Square?

A friend mentioned Holcomb Truck Trail. Is that different than the Holcomb creek trail?

Comment

I'm unaware of any "Holcomb Truck Trail"

Start off on Gold Mountain (3N69), if you do ok there move "up" to John Bull (3N10), Holcomb Creek (3N93) or Dishpan Springs (3N34).

If Gold Mountain gives you the puckers, try Jacoby Canyon (3N61) and possibly Horsethief Flats (3N03A)

FWIW, all of our Black Diamond trails are passable with 31's and a rear locker. I know - I write the Maintenance Plans for Big Bear
            Jeff
            OHV76V
            KG6TY
            You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

my friend has taken holcom creek, dishpan, and john bull with a cherroke on 31 in tires and open diffs. he got a little body damage but that was from the lack of brains(very bad lines and a heavy right foot). like was said if you have any thing bigger than 31s and take the easyer lines you should be just fine.

Comment

Take More Time,... Dont Be In A Hurry

Originally posted by Roadkill424 View Post
                my friend has taken holcom creek, dishpan, and john bull with a cherroke on 31 in tires and open diffs. he got a little body damage but that was from the lack of brains(very bad lines and a heavy right foot). like was said if you have any thing bigger than 31s and take the easyer lines you should be just fine.
                Don't go on a trail alone. Two 4x4 min. And, take some xtra time if you are not sure of what is going on. Stop get out and look. There is not a spotter alive that can give you the perspective of whats
                going on in front of and under your rig. Besides it gives you more confidence because you have seen whats going on and it makes you a better driver off road later on down the road...MATT
                "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Working...
                X