Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Bear Guidance

Hi everyone...New to this forum.

I would live some advice on trails in and around Big Bear. I and 2 other fairly capable Jeeps with lockers and winches are going to Big Bear in a few weeks and would love to get a good challenging trail ride in. I have maps and trail reports, but would love some discussion so I know what i am getting into.

The concern? Well, this is a guys weekend out...with kids...no wives...Our kids are in the 6 to 8 year old range.

I would love to get a difficult and challenging trail, but not too extreme. I want the kids to fall in love (mine are, but theirs???) with off roading.

Suggestions? Holcomb creek?

Thanks!

Howdy, welcome to MJR. Welcome to the jeep fever.
    Lots of references here in MJR as well as maps. Check the "Forums Read" and you will find them.
    "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
    (Charles Wells)

Comment

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8422
      Here's a shortcut to one.

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8239
      is another with lots of pictures, taken by a very good jeepn friend of mine.
      Last edited by Mtbikbob; 05-02-07, 05:59 PM.
      "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
      (Charles Wells)

Comment

If you haven't already, see our Big Bear Trail Reports Section:
        http://myjeeprocks.com/reports/category/big-bear/

John Bull should be "re-vamped" by then and back up to difficult level.
        http://myjeeprocks.com/reports/categ...ohn-bull-3n10/

If you want to mix some fun in for the kids, 2N84 (MJR's adoption) has a peak with a great little hike that the kids always enjoy. From the top you can see both Arrowhead and Big Bear Lake. There is also a good but short rock garden which you'll see on the map that not many have traversed yet. Right before the rock garden there's a turn-out that overlooks the Pacific Crest Trail.
        http://myjeeprocks.com/reports/categ...tle_bear_peak/
        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Nothing in Big Bear is "too extreme" if you have lockers and winches. I have a bunch of videos from Big Bear so check the trails out for yourself. My avatar is me on Lower Larga.

http://www.youtube.com/socalwheelin

I highly suggest Dishpan Springs, followed by Holcomb. You can take Holcomb all the way through, or you can hang a left on Lower Larga(I think that's the name) about half way through Holcomb.

Another fun trip starts at the bottom of Gold Mountain, then is followed by John Bull. Then if you have time, you can do Holcomb. Have fun!
          Last edited by Desertracer; 05-02-07, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Thanks. The more information the better.

I am new to this forum, came over from another. Great site! Also new to offroading in Big Bear.

"Nothing in Big Bear is "too extreme" if you have lockers and winches."

I am more interested in this. To some people, nothing is too extreme with lockers and winches.

Thanks for the feedback.

Dan

Comment

i suggest John Bull. if that goes well, cut across to 3n-93. that should give you a pretty full day on the trail.
              rocker protection is recommended.
              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

The USFS uses the 3 tier rating system. Green Circle easy, Blue Square more difficult and Black Diamond most difficult.

If even one small section of the trail rates a black diamond rating, then the whole trail gets the rating.

Green Circle; Easiest
                Mild rocky road, usually graded once a year.
                Gentle grades, no significant water crossings.
                Two wheel drive is usually acceptable with good ground clearance.
                Four wheel drive makes the trip safer and there will be less tire spinning.

Blue Square; More Difficult
                Rutted and rocky roads, careful tire placement is necessary.
                Undercarriage may occasionaly scrape. Brush may scrape vehicle.
                Some grades may be fairly steep.
                Water crossings may be 2'-3' deep.
                Four wheel drive with 2 speed transfer case, high clearance, low air pressure,
                and some experience driving off road is best.
                Typical setup would be 31's and 2"-4" of lift.

Black Diamond; Most Difficult
                Rock gardens and deeply rutted roads.
                Grades can be steep with severe ground undulation.
                Sideways tilt can be extreme.
                Body damage is a possibility.
                A locker or limited slip in a differential makes the drive safer.
                Typical setup would be 33's and 4"-6" of lift.
                Body armor is highly recommended.

I think that most folks would agree that none of the trails in Big Bear qualify as extreme.

The list below is not complete, but it's close

USFS rated black diamond 4x4 trails near Big Bear Lake:
                3N10 John Bull
                3N93 Holcomb Creek
                2N06X Lower Larga
                1N01 Pipes Canyon
                2N90 Tip Top Mountain
                3N03A Horsethief Flat
                3N69 Gold Mountain
                1N38 Heart Bar Peak
                3N17 White Mountain

USFS rated black diamond 4x4 trails near Lake Arrowhead/Green Valley Lake:
                3N34 Dishpan Springs
                2N13D Crafts Peak
                2N83 Edison Rd
                2N27Y
                2N29Y

USFS rated blue square 4x4 trails near Big Bear Lake:
                3N61 Jacoby Canyon
                2N06 Radford Truck Trail
                1N54 Clark's Grade
                3N02 Burnt Flat
                2N06 Moon Ridge Peak
                2N84 Little Bear Peak
                2N68Y
                2N61Y
                2N71Y
                3N63 Silver Peak
                3N80
                Rattlesnake Canyon

USFS rated blue square 4x4 trails near Lake Arrowhead/Green Valley Lake:
                2N54
                3N59
                2N28Y
                3N34B Devil's Hole
                3N34D Willow Creek Jeep Trail
                2N19B
                2N19C
                Last edited by sarah; 05-03-07, 09:54 AM. Reason: fixed holcomb
                Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

isnt Holcomb a 3N trail?
                  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                  ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
                    isnt Holcomb a 3N trail?
                    I'm gonna be a total NOOB here by asking...Can you explain the difference? It sounds like there is a system of sorts (or a link that explains), where 1N, 2N, 3N, etc., have certain meanings? Thanks!
                    -Bob
                    '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
                      isnt Holcomb a 3N trail?
                      Yep, 3N93
                      Jeff
                      OHV76V
                      KG6TY
                      You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by steelman View Post
                        I'm gonna be a total NOOB here by asking...Can you explain the difference? It sounds like there is a system of sorts (or a link that explains), where 1N, 2N, 3N, etc., have certain meanings? Thanks!
                        Basically how many 6 mile "units" the trail beginning is from the baseline reference (which in this case is Baseline in San Bernardino)

Sarah - I wrote this up for MJR quite a while back - can you find it and post a link? Have to bail to a meeting.
                        Jeff
                        OHV76V
                        KG6TY

Comment

SBNF Forest Road Definitions by Old Fart

Here we are ... from this post:

First, you start off with a point. I always have a point, sometimes it’s hard to see. I have several ex-wives that can attest to this!

This point will be the basis for all government surveys in the area it controls, and its latitude and longitude are fixed by astronomical observations. From this initial point, a Principal Meridian is run north and south on a line that would intersect the poles, and a Base Line is run east and west on a parallel of latitude. The Principal Meridian controls survey lines east and west, and the Base Line is the north and south control.

Land is broken into Sections, Townships and Ranges, all based on the Principal Meridian and the Baseline. In our case, the Principal Meridian runs through San Bernardino (north/south), and the Baseline is….Baseline Street!

Because of the curvature of the earth, additional lines called Guide Meridians are run every 24 miles east and west of the principal Meridian. Other lines, called Standard Parallels, are run every 24 miles north and south of the Base Line. The parallels north of the Base Line are designated First Standard Parallel North, Second Standard Parallel North, and so forth, and those south as the First Standard Parallel South, Second Standard Parallel, and so on. Standard Parallels are also called correction lines.

North and south lines are next run on true meridian from Standard Parallels and 6 miles apart, marking the survey area into strips 6 miles wide called ranges which are numbered east and west from the Principal Meridian. Similar lines are run at every 6 mile point north and south of the Base Line, and parallel with the Base Line, dividing the ranges into 6 mile squares called townships. The first township north of the Base Line and east of the Principal Meridian is identified as Township 1 North, Range 1 East, the second township north of the Base Line as Township 2 North, Range 1 East, and so on.

Getting back to the trail numbers, 3N69 “starts” in the third “Township” (or 18 miles, 3x6) North of Baseline. The number (69) is a simple progression. The “N” or “S” indicate what Township the trail starts in, and by that you can tell whether the trail is North or South of the Baseline (in our case, Baseline!) N/S trails are either 4x4 or 50” trails (quads, motorcycles). There are also “E” and “W” trails, (named for the Range in which they start, so East or West of the Principle Meridian) which are generally Hiking trails – but occasionally you’ll see a “E” or “W” motorcycle trail. These are less than 50”, so quads are not legal on them.

“X” and “Y” are “connecting/joining” major trails, other letters are “spurs”.

Comment

Thanks Sarah. I know that's in my laptop somewhere
                            Jeff
                            OHV76V
                            KG6TY

Comment

I've added it to our Big Bear Area page under FAQ's.
                              http://myjeeprocks.com/reports/category/big-bear/

You can directly access the FAQ's at:
                              http://myjeeprocks.com/reports/faq/

I'll keep the list up to date, if anyone has any more.

Thanks to Jeff and Doug for the information!

Comment

Working...
                              X