Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rick View Post
    Is Gold Mountain open?
    It was open last weekend and what I hear is it won't get completely closed, just the rock garden. Just a rumor though...

Kurt
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
      It was open last weekend and what I hear is it won't get completely closed, just the rock garden. Just a rumor though...

Kurt
      You sure its just a rumor ? I heard the garden closes on the 22nd

Comment

No, not until the Wilderness boundary is changed. As soon as I can find a legitimate writeup, I'll post it. And it on;ly affects 3N69A (rock garden)
        Jeff
        OHV76V
        KG6TY
        You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

We heard it would be closing wanted to get another run in before we lose the rockgarden.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
            No, not until the Wilderness boundary is changed. As soon as I can find a legitimate writeup, I'll post it. And it on;ly affects 3N69A (rock garden)
            Thanks Jeff.
            Rat
            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Please tell me its not true!

This isn't funny. Why would the Forest Service just close the rock garden? I love that spot! Great views, fun rock crawling, and a unigue talus slope. It is so cool to hear the rocks creek and pop as you move through them. 3N69A is such a short side trail, why bother?

So from what I understand the trail will be closed starting Monday, Jan. 22nd? Please let me know, 'cause I know how I will be spending my Jan. 21st if this is true.
              [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
              Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
              [/COLOR]

Comment

that is the rumor. Come up and ride with us this weekend running pontiac and heartbreakridge might just have to go for the gold one last time.

Comment

Last I hear from my management (USFS) it wasn't happening until October of '07.

Who has heard what, from whom, as to this 22 Jan closure?
                  Jeff
                  OHV76V
                  KG6TY

Comment

I have not seen it on a GOV website but from what ive heard from friends There is a plant that grows near the rock garden and since the rock garden isn't part of the trail according to the Forest Service it is being closed as being next to the area of concern.

We will be up there on Sat with about 6 rigs.

Comment

Yep, the Southern Mountain Buckwheat grows from 6000' to 6500' and is listed on the Threatened and Endangered Species list. It's always been an issue on 3N69 (not just 69A), one of the reasons the AAT club for Gold Mountain has always been so agressive in blocking illegal trail cuts and bypasses.

I'm still looking for my digital map of the new Wilderness area.
                      Jeff
                      OHV76V
                      KG6TY

Comment

Originally posted by Malachi View Post
                        This isn't funny. Why would the Forest Service just close the rock garden? I love that spot! Great views, fun rock crawling, and a unigue talus slope. It is so cool to hear the rocks creek and pop as you move through them. 3N69A is such a short side trail, why bother?

So from what I understand the trail will be closed starting Monday, Jan. 22nd? Please let me know, 'cause I know how I will be spending my Jan. 21st if this is true.
                        What? Jeep ain't broke in yet? I swear, you probably have put more miles on that jeep of yours in the last 3 months......time for a new engine yet?
                        "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
                        (Charles Wells)

Comment

Well Bob, my AC/Heat knob broke today, so I guess Mr. Green is starting to show some wear :wink:

Rat, I'd love to join ya, but I already made a commitment on Saturday. Heartbreak is a good run. I bet that you will still have plenty of snow in the shaded area of the Pontiac Loop. The squeeze should be extra fun if it does.

I'm cool with protecting the Mtn Buckwheat, but the rock garden will be sorely missed. Any chance of the trail being reopened at a later date?
                          [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                          Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                          [/COLOR]

Comment

Ok, just to clarify a few points.

The reason the rock garden (3N69A) _may_ close isn't because of the Southern Mountain Buckwheat (there's Buckwheat along the whole south face, including the trail.)

3N69A is in an area that is _proposed_ to be "Back Country, Non-Motorized".
                            http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardin...0City%20SW.pdf

You still have a chance to comment on the Off Highway Vehicle Route Designation, Sara probably copied down the dates for the Public meetings, if not there's some information here:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardin...v.shtml#review
                            Jeff
                            OHV76V
                            KG6TY

Comment

Working...
                            X